Pacemaker and High Potassium

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Pacemaker and High Potassium

Postby Bkworm » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:09 pm

Hi jeff,
You helped me in t he past and now I am in a new situation where I don't know where to go for good information.

My husband had a pacemaker placed June 6. He is now pacemaker dependent with heart failure and A-
fib. He is currently taking three meds with one more recommended. One med is to be eliminated by the first of September if not sooner. They had him go in for blood work last week and his potassium was high. So, I went online to see what foods are high in potassium besides bananas. Come to find out, just about everything I cook and prepare for WFPB is high in potassium such as Bananas, oranges, cantaloupe, honeydew, apricots, grapefruit (some dried fruits, such as prunes, raisins, and dates, are also high in potassium: Cooked spinach, Cooked broccoli, Potatoes, Sweet potatoes, Mushrooms, Peas, Cucumbers, Zucchini, Pumpkins, Leafy greens, Legumes. Since it is summer we have been eating a lot of fruit except bananas.

Am I harming my husband by continuing to cook and prepare WFPB? I have mentioned to his doctors a couple of times that I only cook WFPB and received no reaction at all. My husband has never eaten 100% WFPB. At home he does because that is all I prepare. However, at work and when he is out and about, he eats whatever he wants. He has been home since June 7 so is eating WFPB more than usual. DH is due to return to work on September 5. He works at the largest hospital in Central Florida. When he started his employment there 45 years ago, it was strictly a vegetarian cafeteria but no longer.

I know you can't give medical advice. However, can you give me an idea of how to approach this with his doctors and what to say? Should I even bother? Are there web sites that would help? If so, I haven't found them.

Thank you for your input.
Bkworm
Bkworm

Re: Pacemaker and High Potassium

Postby JeffN » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:20 pm

I would recommend you read the few threads in this post.

https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/searc ... mit=Search

They speak directly to Atrial Fib and about a doctor who uses a similar approach.

Here is his webpage
https://www.baptisthealth.com/providers ... physiology

If you are in central fl, I would also recommend you speak to this doctor who is a cardiologist in central fl. You can mention I recommended her. Not sure she specializes in A-Fib but if not, she may someone who can help

https://drmonicaaggarwal.com

I hope this helps
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Bkworm » Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:47 pm

Thank you, Jeff,

I will follow up on the links. I believe Dr. Monica Aggarwal was a presenter on the Esselstyn's virtual Forks Over Knives in 2022. I looked at her site and where her gardens are located off Princeton, not too far from us. Will take a drive this week to see if I can find her location. I doubt she is on our insurance but won't know until I check. Had totally forgotten she is a cardiologist. Don't know if my husband would consent to go to see her even if she is on our plan. He is impressed with his Electrophysiologist and Cardiologist at the moment. I am not so impressed. The meds he is taking and is supposed to start are very dangerous. But it is dangerous for him not to take them, also. I would like a second opinion but my husband is not ready for that.

Wonder if I might schedule an appointment for a consultation with her without my husband to answer my questions about continuing to cook WFPB for him? Will have to check and see.

Thanks again, Jeff. Felt I could count on you to come through with helpful info.

Bkworm
Bkworm

Postby JeffN » Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:45 pm

>>>>>>He is impressed with his Electrophysiologist and Cardiologist at the moment.

The doctor interviewed by Dr McDougall in the first link who also spoke at an ASW, and who uses a lifestyle approach is an Electrophysiologist and Cardiologist too.

Jeff
JeffN

Postby Bkworm » Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:58 am

Thank you, Jeff,

I just sent an email to Dr. Aggarwal with my question concerning WFPB diet and my husband's high potassium. Come to find out the doctor is affiliated with the hospital group where my husband has been employed for 45 years. My goal is to get my husband to have at least a consultation with her. He is very impressed with his Electrophysiologist and Cardiologist at this point. I am not so impressed. At least if I ever have an issue with my heart, I know who to get an appointment with.

If DH had had a heart attack and blockages, I think I would have known at least some of the questions to ask and how to discuss some of the procedures they insisted he undergo. But heart failure sent us both for a loop. I take credit for the fact that he had no blockages at all and minimal scar tissue on his heart due to the WFPB even though DH does not follow it 100%. I was told that no blockages at and minimal scar tissue is unusual for a 73-year-old.

Come to find out, I had listened to at least one YouTube video by Dr. Mandrola, also. Plan to follow up on his materials a bit more. Have been in panic mode since this strange adventure started May 31. Seems like all we are doing now is going from one medical appointment to another day in day out. The very thing I thought we just might be able to avoid following this lifestyle.

Thanks again,
Bkworm
Bkworm

Return to Jeff Novick, RD