Meeting CRON-O-Meter Requirements

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Meeting CRON-O-Meter Requirements

Postby taymariekay » Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:14 pm

Hello!

Over the years of trying to practice a starch based lifestyle, I am finding it difficult to hit certain nutrient targets on CRON-O-Meter when following a lower calorie, McDougall way of eating. I then find myself time and time again worrying over them, wondering if I need to add supplements or certain foods daily to make sure I hit them. It really can be stressful to me when I want to make sure I am not missing anything, especially right now as I am going to be trying to get pregnant in the next year or so. But honestly, I think I'm looking for assurance that even if I don't hit them, that my health won't suffer. I just kinda want to be able to move on from that mindset and focus more on getting consistent with starch based eating, without worrying about nutrients.

The two main concerns I have are choline and amino acids. I will hit the overall grams of protein easily, but the individual amino acids themselves are all around 50%. Is this okay?

I worry about choline, especially for when I do get pregnant. I seldom hit half the RDI. Is this okay as well or do I just need to make sure I'm eating a lot of cauliflower?

Jeff, I have read your articles on setting the targets lower for certain nutrients, so I do know your recommendation for Vitamin E is about half the normal, along with calcium and omegas needing a lower target.

Honestly, on certain days it seems like all my nutrients are only at about 80%. I think deep down I know I'll be okay, but just looking for some outside reassurance so I can quiet that voice once and for all. I think I recall Doug Lisle talking about how our brains are hardwired to worry about nutrition!

Lastly, I take 150mcg of potassium iodide as well, almost daily. Is this okay?

Let me know if any of these questions should be reserved for private consults.

Appreciate all you guys do!! Thanks!

Tay
taymariekay

Re: Meeting CRON-O-Meter Requirements

Postby vegman » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:10 am

taymariekay wrote:
I will hit the overall grams of protein easily, but the individual amino acids themselves are all around 50%. Is this okay?

I worry about choline, especially for when I do get pregnant. I seldom hit half the RDI.

Honestly, on certain days it seems like all my nutrients are only at about 80%.

Data for some of the foods in Cronometer is missing some nutrients. For example, a food may show protein but be missing data for individual amino acids. Or it may be missing choline, even if that is normally present in that food, or may be missing all vitamins or all minerals. You can check this in the individual food listings, and see whether you can find an alternative listing for that or a similar food that includes the relevant nutrients.

Even with all the nutrients shown, the data is at best an approximation of your actual food.
vegman

Return to Jeff Novick, RD