Confused on Inflammation

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Confused on Inflammation

Postby Gwen » Wed May 29, 2019 9:17 am

Hi Jeff,
I've watched various You Tube videos about people healing themselves from years of joint/muscle pain. Some are from Vegans, such as the testimonies on this site. Some are from Vegans who were suffering with pain, then switched to animal protein and have healed their pain. Some are from SAD eaters who either went Vegan or Keto/Paleo and it seems both WOE works to heal pain.

I'm confused....why would both WOE work to heal their pain? I'm really looking for an answer, because I'm suffering with joint/muscle pain right now.

Thanks so much,
Gwen
Gwen

Re: Confused on Inflammation

Postby JeffN » Wed May 29, 2019 9:37 am

Gwen wrote:Hi Jeff,
I've watched various You Tube videos about people healing themselves from years of joint/muscle pain. Some are from Vegans, such as the testimonies on this site. Some are from Vegans who were suffering with pain, then switched to animal protein and have healed their pain. Some are from SAD eaters who either went Vegan or Keto/Paleo and it seems both WOE works to heal pain.

I'm confused....why would both WOE work to heal their pain? I'm really looking for an answer, because I'm suffering with joint/muscle pain right now.

Thanks so much,
Gwen

Sorry, but It is not for me to try and figure out anecdotal stories on youtube, nor do I put much faith in them at all as representing a carefully controlled case study.

It is important to understand that the diet that people consume today (and for the last 20 years or more) may be the worst diet every consumed by humans in recorded history. It contains little to any minimally processed plants (fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes) and contains excessive amounts of calories, saturated fat, cholesterol, refined cereals/grains, oils, sugars etc etc. Many of the diets they go on, while we don't recommend them because of longterm issues, are actually improvements over whatever they were eating before. This is why we hear stories of these people getting better.

However, what matters most to you is you and your personal health situation, which you asked about in your last post. My response remains the same. It is the only effective way I know of for someone. It is not easy and takes both commitment and time, but my experience over several decades is that the alternative for anyone in your situation, is much worse. In these cases, half way measures usually don't work.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=59635&p=600602#p600602

The issue is not vegan, paleo, keto, etc. The issue is reactive foods (which will always vary by the individual) and the process of identifying them and eliminating them.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD