Why No Milk?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby karin_kiwi » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:36 pm

Jaggu, might I recommend you also read The China Study by T Colin Campbell. I challenge anyone to read it thoroughly (as well as the resources that Jeff cited as well as the McDougall books) and not understand what is wrong with casein. Whether you choose to eliminate it from your diet entirely is up to you, but you'll at least be making an educated decision.

After all my reading, I came to the conclusion a long time ago that the fat and the cholesterol were among the least of the problems with milk!

I don't have nice references at my fingertips now, but remember that milk is not just straightforward nutrition (i.e. simple calories) for babies (animal and human), it's also a cocktail of hormones and other bioactive chemicals designed to stimulate physical and mental growth appropriate to the species - as well as addictive substances to ensure the babies crave and thus keep drinking it. These are inherent properties in milk even before you get into the artificially added hormones and pharmaceutical agents and so on that are endemic in the dairy industry.

Happy reading.
karin_kiwi

Postby nonyabizz » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:08 pm

karin_kiwi wrote:Jaggu, might I recommend you also read The China Study by T Colin Campbell. I challenge anyone to read it thoroughly (as well as the resources that Jeff cited as well as the McDougall books) and not understand what is wrong with casein. Whether you choose to eliminate it from your diet entirely is up to you, but you'll at least be making an educated decision.

After all my reading, I came to the conclusion a long time ago that the fat and the cholesterol were among the least of the problems with milk!

I don't have nice references at my fingertips now, but remember that milk is not just straightforward nutrition (i.e. simple calories) for babies (animal and human), it's also a cocktail of hormones and other bioactive chemicals designed to stimulate physical and mental growth appropriate to the species - as well as addictive substances to ensure the babies crave and thus keep drinking it. These are inherent properties in milk even before you get into the artificially added hormones and pharmaceutical agents and so on that are endemic in the dairy industry.

Happy reading.

Bingo. I started with Esselstyn's book, but it was Campbell's that really drove it home.

I do not really miss the meat. Feeling the finger on your "off switch" really puts it in perspective.

I do miss the cheese, tho.
nonyabizz

Postby LJ » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:33 am

I have to admit, I always did love the cheese, but really don't miss it so much anymore. Ok, I still miss smoked gouda but I seem to be doing just fine. ;)

Yes, I also recommend reading The China Study. I have 2 copies of my own. One of them I lend out. I've purchased 3 more copies as gifts. I have yet to meet anyone who has read that book that doesn't change their diet in some way or another. For me, it was the book that finally hammered it in to my thick, bull-headed skull.

"The food you put into your body is the single most powerful factor that determines your health and well being." Dr. John A. McDougall, MD
LJ

Postby LJ » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:35 am

nonyabizz wrote:
Bingo. I started with Esselstyn's book, but it was Campbell's that really drove it home.

I do not really miss the meat. Feeling the finger on your "off switch" really puts it in perspective.

"Finger on the off switch"....love it! Btw, welcome to the boards!!!

"The food you put into your body is the single most powerful factor that determines your health and well being." Dr. John A. McDougall, MD
LJ

Postby nonyabizz » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:57 am

LJ wrote:
nonyabizz wrote:

"Finger on the off switch"....love it! Btw, welcome to the boards!!!

heh:)

Thanks
nonyabizz

Postby JeffN » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:50 am

selainefuente wrote:Hi jaggu..
I think that Milk is one of the nutritious element in our diet. I understand that milk is increasing fat in our body. But it also give us Calcium and other minerals which are helpful to our body. So i think that we should take milk regularly.

Greetings,

Dairy products are not recommended on this program. Many of the reasons why are reviewed in this thread and on the main wesbite.

In addition, there are several threads on the issue of calcium and osteoporosis.

Please review the discussion contained within this thread and then let me know if you have any other questions.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby jamietwo » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:04 am

I love the perspective of this article!

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/20 ... ance_N.htm

I'm always astounded to hear people complain about breastfed infants and young children while they (the adults) are sucking down breast milk from another species! :lol: We aren't supposed to need milk once we've weaned!
Jamie
jamietwo

Previous

Return to Jeff Novick, RD