Which is Wiser

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Which is Wiser

Postby ebonyeyes » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:43 am

Hi Jeff, although I was first introduced through a book to Dr. Mcdougall's program 30 years ago, It wasn't until health concerns finally drove me to look into this more fully that I was willing to get started. I started the Mcdougall program full force on April 16, 2018 and was in complete compliance until I allowed mediocre meals and grief from the death of a loved one to derail me the first week in June. Nevertheless, I did lose 25 lbs in that time. Then I heard about Andrew Taylor's Spudfit Challenge where you eat nothing but potatoes for a month. I decided to do it for three months because it seemed like a perfect way to restart the Mcdougall program without obsessing about what to eat and how to fix it each day. I began last Monday 7/23/2018 and lost 17 pounds (most of which was water from my edema). But as I engage with others I am finding out more about the Maximum Weight loss program. Because I seem to be having a problem with high fasting sugars (Possibly Symogyi effect?) I am now questioning whether an all potato diet is the course of wisdom, or if I should do MWL. I'd really like to hear your thoughts on the matter.
ebonyeyes

Re: Which is Wiser

Postby JeffN » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:05 am

ebonyeyes wrote:Hi Jeff, although I was first introduced through a book to Dr. Mcdougall's program 30 years ago, It wasn't until health concerns finally drove me to look into this more fully that I was willing to get started. I started the Mcdougall program full force on April 16, 2018 and was in complete compliance until I allowed mediocre meals and grief from the death of a loved one to derail me the first week in June. Nevertheless, I did lose 25 lbs in that time. Then I heard about Andrew Taylor's Spudfit Challenge where you eat nothing but potatoes for a month. I decided to do it for three months because it seemed like a perfect way to restart the Mcdougall program without obsessing about what to eat and how to fix it each day. I began last Monday 7/23/2018 and lost 17 pounds (most of which was water from my edema). But as I engage with others I am finding out more about the Maximum Weight loss program. Because I seem to be having a problem with high fasting sugars (Possibly Symogyi effect?) I am now questioning whether an all potato diet is the course of wisdom, or if I should do MWL. I'd really like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

The best way to start the McDougall Program is to start the McDougall Program. :) And, if you are having problems with weight then the best version to start with is the MWL program.

We do not really endorse these other "tweaks" out there and if we did, we would be teaching them here and at the programs. We don't.

In the end if you want to be successful, then you have to learn how to eat and how to follow the program on a day to day basis, each and every day. The best way to do that is to just do that. There is no other shortcut.

We are not looking for rapid short term success, especially weight related, we are looking for long term success which comes from the consistent repetition of successful behaviors over time. Otherwise, we would put you on a juice fast or a water fast or an all raw veggie diet for the first 3-4 days of the 10-Day program (or the whole 10-days and send you home with a book). But, we don't, We want you to learn the program, as-is, right from the beginning.

That is the basis of this article here...

The Road to Success: Creating Healthy Habits
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=58019&hilit=habit

Remember, all the data to date, that almost seems miraculous, whether from Ornish, Pritikin, McDougall, CHIP, Esselstyn, is based on doing the program right from the beginning. There were no special short cuts. The Mary's Mini is just a modified version of the MWL and that would be fine but I would recommend starting with the MWL. You can't fine tune something, till you have the basics down and under control.

That is why we put together the How To Begin series here...

viewforum.php?f=14

In your situation, I would recommend reading all the material but starting with the MWL program as outlined in part 5

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=58229

I would also recommend joining the MWL monthly weigh-in group. Amy is a wonderful facilitator and the group is very supportive of each other.

That would be the wisest thing to do.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Which is Wiser

Postby ebonyeyes » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:10 am

Thanks so much Jeff. I sorely needed direction and you have provided it. I will start today.
ebonyeyes

Return to Jeff Novick, RD