Creating Healthy Habits - comments

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Creating Healthy Habits - comments

Postby geo » Wed May 30, 2018 3:21 pm

Bravo! Yet another key post to this program. You clearly stated the what, why, and how of forming a habit and sticking to it. Provided the science behind it, and showed how simple it all can be. Succinct, to the point, simplicity. Hallmarks of your best writing.

Since I started the program my mantra has always been the same...just do it. You can't know if it works without actually doing the program. No amount of science will help you if your not willing to just do it. For me, and my personality, this was enough and it got me to where I am today. And despite repeating the simple message of "just do it" to everyone thats asks, I doubt if it has really helped anyone else. But now I understand better that if you can "just do it" coupled with the understanding of a simple process of habit forming, it can work for anybody. It just never occurred to me that what I was doing was forming a habit. It was just something I did because I could see that it worked, I could feel the changes, and I liked what was happening. The more I did it, the better I became and the more I wanted it. And that continues to this day, without having to think about it. Its just a natural part of my life now. A habit formed without understanding the process behind it.

But now there's just one other point to ask...but I'll leave that to another day... I want this post to sink in for awhile :nod:

Theres always genious in simplicity. Thank you yet again!
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Re: Creating Healthy Habits - comments

Postby JeffN » Wed May 30, 2018 3:44 pm

Thank you.

Every year around thanksgiving, I send out a thanksgiving message and as part of it, I quote a book called, The Life We Are Given: A Long-Term Program for Realizing the Potential of Body, Mind, Heart, and Soul, by George Leonard and Michael Murphy, which was written in 1992. In one of my first meetings with John Mackey back in late 2009, I brought this book and discussed some of its recommendations which we used in regard to the development of the WFM Wellness Clubs.

Michael Murphy founded the famous Esalen retreat center in In 1962.

George Leonard was an Esalen President, Board member and resident scholar. He wrote a book in 1992 called, Mastery: The Keys to Success and Long-Term Fulfillment. In the book ( which I no longer have it and haven't read it in a while), he uses aikido as a metaphor and in order to master it, one must practice the same routines over and over, day after day, year after year.

The same holds true in so many things.

:)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby geo » Wed May 30, 2018 4:26 pm

I enjoyed Leonard's writings and bought "Mastery" when it first came out...at that time i was interested in Aikido and didn't really read the book for its deeper meaning. I still have it somewhere and should re-read it.

I have his "The Life We Are Given" as well. It still sits on my bookshelf, unread...along with far too many other books. <Sigh> where does the time go...
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby JeffN » Wed May 30, 2018 4:39 pm

It’s all beginning to make sense now. :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Gwen » Wed May 30, 2018 5:38 pm

Thank you for this post, Jeff!

I believe it is the missing piece of the puzzle for me.

I'm a creature of habit in so many other areas, but I did not realize I needed to put it into practice for the food part of my life.
Gwen
Gwen

Return to Jeff Novick, RD