Protein/Building Strength

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Protein/Building Strength

Postby DanTheYogi » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:12 am

Hi Jeff

After going down the rabbit hole of some of your old posts (as I often do), I came across this particular thread:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5761

At the end of the thread, you said:

Studies done on kidney patients who were on very low protein diets and put on a 12 week strength training program showed they were able to build both muscle size and muscle strength.

Would you mind posting these studies? I would be interested in reviewing them myself (and stashing them away for future "debates" with my more open minded friends :) ).

While we are on the subject, something else I have been curious about, is you made a post recently in the lounge about your own personal strength limits in regards to your ability to carry your wife, beat Rip at strength tests, etc. Would you be willing to indulge us on what exactly you do for strength training? I know you are a big proponent of body weight fitness. I am not looking for an exact breakdown of each exercise you do every day, but just curious about the general picture: do you do the same routine every day? Are there certain exercises you emphasize? About how much time do you spend doing strength training? Do you do a little every day, or a few times a week? etc.

Any details you are willing to provide, purely for my own curiosity, are much appreciated.
DanTheYogi

Re: Protein/Building Strength

Postby JeffN » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:38 am

DanTheYogi wrote:
Studies done on kidney patients who were on very low protein diets and put on a 12 week strength training program showed they were able to build both muscle size and muscle strength.

Would you mind posting these studies? I would be interested in reviewing them myself (and stashing them away for future "debates" with my more open minded friends :) )

Resistance Training To Counteract the Catabolism of a Low-Protein Diet in Patients with Chronic Renal Insufficiency: A Randomized, Controlled Trial
Ann Intern Med. 2001;135(11):965-976.
DOI: 10.7326/0003-4819-135-11-200112040-00008

http://annals.org/aim/article-abstract/ ... onic-renal

If you go to the listing of the study in PubMed and look to the right of it, you will see a few other studies on the same topic.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?te ... A+11730397

I'll answer your other question later.

In Health,
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Protein/Building Strength

Postby JeffN » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:02 am

DanTheYogi wrote: Would you be willing to indulge us on what exactly you do for strength training? I know you are a big proponent of body weight fitness. I am not looking for an exact breakdown of each exercise you do every day, but just curious about the general picture: do you do the same routine every day? Are there certain exercises you emphasize? About how much time do you spend doing strength training? Do you do a little every day, or a few times a week? etc.

I am always doing little *fun* things as part of my day.

The other night, my wife and I went to see Gordon Lightfoot. I always leave during the encore to beat the crowd and because as the crowd exits a theater after a few hours in it, the first thing many of them do is light up a cigarette. So, the outdoor space by the exits becomes like a nicotine cloud which I try hard to avoid). On the way to the car, not only do I walk fast, there was a raised concrete ledge about 2 -3 feet high. and so I was jumping up on the ledge and off, repeatedly (ie, box jumps). I do this whenever I see ledges like this or on low curbs for balance. When we walk in the park and pass the fitness trail, I do pull ups, balance walks, dips, etc. I usually have a chin up bar in my house in the doorway to the office but don't right now. When we go grocery shopping, I carry most all the packages from the street parking to our house and then up 1.5 flights of stairs to our kitchen, about 25-30 lbs each trip. We also buy water to refill our 3 gallon jugs (24# each) and I carry 2 of them at a time around and up the stairs, filling 4-5 at a time (ie., farmers walk). I walk on my hands while out walking. When we are at the mall and going down an escalator, If it isn't to wide, I will do it in the pike (or tuck) position (hand on the rails without feet touching). When I travel, I carry my luggage, as it doesn't have wheels (though I did just buy one with wheels for longer trips).

Formally, I do 5 main compound exercises, 2 (-3)x a week, picking one from each group:

- Shoulders (Shoulder Press/Upright Row)

- Chest (Bench Press/Push Ups)

- Upper Back (Chin up/Lat Pulldown/Rowing)

- Lower Back, Thighs/Hamstrings (Squat/Dead Lift)

- Abdominals (Crunches/Raised leg lifts)

I do 2-3 sets of about 8-15 reps.

Total time is about 15-20 minutes max.

I may use dumbbells, weight machines, resistance bands, body weight or any combo. The gym where I live has all of them and have enjoyed going there (I am usually the only one there). I also include some stretching, balance and functional fitness.

That's about it. :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD