Calcium supplements?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby JeffN » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:01 am

Greetings,

McBastard wrote:Jeff,
Your list of green leafy veggies that supply Calcium is rather "exotic". I dont think I've ever heard of many of them before, and certainly dont get to eat most of them in my usual meals.

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity! :)

Many of these (Bok Choy, Parsley, Kale, Green Leaf Lettuce, Romaine, Broccoli) are quite common, and some of the other more "exotic" ones are becoming regulars in the American diet and in grocery stores.

McBastard wrote:Do such vegetables (And fruits) supply appreciable quantities of calcium that'd help attain the Recommended daily quantity which I think is about 1000 mg?

I knew I would open a can or worms and that is why I do not like giving lists like this. :)

First, this is not a good way to look at food and not one I recommend. I gave the list just as an example. The reason is, we should not be looking for which foods are the best in any single isolated nutrient. We need many nutrients and therefore, what is most important is to choose foods that are high in overall nutrient density. Those are the foods recommended here.

Second, there is so much more to dealing with Osteoporosis and bone health than just hitting some arbitrary number. Many of these numbers do not directly related to any one person as they are averages given for groups of people over time set to cover the majority of the population. They are also based on many other factors and assume that you are following the typical SAD diet and lifestyle as that is who these numbers are set for. Therefore, if you are following a healthy diet and lifestyle, these recommendations may not even be relevant to you.

McBastard wrote:I have not been sure of that and so have begun to rely on fortified wholemeal bread (300 mg calcium from 100 g of bread), soy milk (450 mg from 250 ml per day, following your advice of no more than one cup soy milk a day :) ), and fortified orange juice (100 mg Ca from 200 ml) for my daily calcium needs.... Is it possible that I might be getting insufficient calcium without following the above combination?

You may be overdoing it (as that is 850 mgs from those 3 foods alone) and more may not be better.

I am also not a fan or fortified foods at all, as they are really no different then taking supplements and could easily result in someone overdoing certain nutrients.

If you really want to know what your intake is, then the best thing to do is to track everything you eat and enter it into a program like the CRON-O-Meter.

McBastard wrote:Although when I think of it, I am hardly ever in the sun, so I might not be getting enough vit D :(

Vitamin D, along with many other issues, are important to bone health, such as weight bearing exercise, protein intake, salt, magnesium, boron, etc. I discuss many of these issues in the calcium threads so please make sure you read through them. If you have any other questions, let me know.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Wendy Jane » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:11 am

I have a quick question and seeing the topic was about calcium I figured this was a good place to ask it.

Anyway we have 2 good friends of ours who are McDougallers. They have a 10 year old daughter. Their doctor has no problem with these folks and their diet. But she has said that if their daughter is going to be eating this way, then they need to be giving her calcium suplements at least 3 times a week. This is because their daughter is still growing and will need to build strong bones. Apparently, their doctor doesn't feel their daughter will be getting enough calcium. Is this true?

By the way this kid can be picky about what she likes. She is NOT big on salads, and such. She passes on the lettuce and tomatoes but she does like her veggies. What foods would be particularlly rich in calcium? Any thoughts anyone?
Wendy Jane

Postby JeffN » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:12 am

Hi Wendy,

Wendy Jane wrote:But she has said that if their daughter is going to be eating this way, then they need to be giving her calcium suplements at least 3 times a week. This is because their daughter is still growing and will need to build strong bones. Apparently, their doctor doesn't feel their daughter will be getting enough calcium. Is this true?

There is more to the calcium (and bone health) picture than just getting in adequate calcium. However, if someone is following a healthy diet and lifestyle, than they can easily get in enough calcium from the foods they eat.

Many people make such statements, not only in regard to calcium, but also in reagrd to protein, iron, zinc, omega 3s, etc. However, unless they have mystical powers, to accurately make this statement, they must be able to answer two questions, 1) How much calcium (or other nutrient) does the person in question need and 2) how much calcium (or other nutrient) is the person in question getting in. If someone can not answer those 2 questions, then they can accurately make that statement but my guess is the doctor can't answer both. Neither can most other people. They also need to know all other contributing factors they make effect calcium balance, calcium loss and calcium absorption.

Wendy Jane wrote:What foods would be particularlly rich in calcium? Any thoughts anyone?

You may want to read this complete thread from the beginning as we do discuss this and there is a list of foods that are calcium dense in the thread. 8)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Calcium supplements?

Postby JeffN » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:10 am

I do not recommend listening to the sales pitches of companies selling products.

Calcium supplements have recently been associated with an increase in heart disease and an increase in prostate cancer.

I recommend you get your calcium from the food you consume as part of this program and understand the issues around calcium balance.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Previous

Return to Jeff Novick, RD