Alzheimers and Silicon Water

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Alzheimers and Silicon Water

Postby jay kaye » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:26 pm

Jeff,

What is your take in this new recommendations of drinking "Silicon Water" to combat Alzheimer's disease and aluminum toxicity?

What is silicon water? What is the best source? Can you make it?

All the social media groups have lite up over this.

June Newsletter

"A simple, inexpensive approach of drinking silicon-rich waters is now being promoted as a way of enhancing the elimination of aluminum from the body, along with the hopes of helping people prevent and treat AD. Researchers asked patients with Alzheimer's to drink a liter (about 34 ounces) of a silicon-rich mineral water each day for 12 weeks. This "special water" increased the removal of aluminum via the kidneys into the urine and clinical improvement was seen in 3 of the 15 patients with AD. These silicon-rich beverages are easily found in stores and via the Internet.

Referenced to internet link
"...In the case of Alzheimer’s, we recently found that drinking silicon-rich water over only 12 weeks produced significant improvements in cognitive function without any known or observed side effects. .....What you need to look for is a minimum concentration of 30 mg/L or 30 ppm written as ‘silica’ on the label."

Thanks,
J

{Edited Spelling from Silicone to Silicon}
Last edited by jay kaye on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jay kaye

Re: Alzheimers and Silicone Water

Postby JeffN » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:35 pm

lets put this in perspective. :)

Dr McDougall wrote...

"A simple, inexpensive approach of drinking silicon-rich waters is now being promoted as a way of enhancing the elimination of aluminum from the body, along with the hopes of helping people prevent and treat AD. Researchers asked patients with Alzheimer's to drink a liter (about 34 ounces) of a silicon-rich mineral water each day for 12 weeks. This "special water" increased the removal of aluminum via the kidneys into the urine and clinical improvement was seen in 3 of the 15 patients with AD. These silicon-rich beverages are easily found in stores and via the Internet."

My recommendation is to (1) throw out your aluminum pots and pans (use modern non-stick ceramic titanium-based cookware), (2) eat a starch-based diet prepared without aluminum additives, and (3) avoid aluminum-containing hygiene products. Adding silicon-rich drinking water appears to also be a safe and effective over-the-counter technique to remove aluminum that has already accumulated in your body.

I see 3 recommendations. The mention of the silicon rich water differs from recommendation #3 and is not listed as recommendation #4 so I don't see it as a recommendation.

You have known Dr Mcdougall a very long time. When he is passionate about something, have you ever seen him use the word "appears?" :) Not me.

So, the above doesn't seem like an recommendation, just a note of interest of something that may have some possible benefit.

There are only a few studies that directly looked at this. The water they used in the study quoted in the article above is not available in the USA. It had about 43 mg of silica per liter. In another study, the amount was about 10 mg per day and in another it was 55 mg/l.

There are two waters readily available in the USA that do have similar amounts listed on their label. There may be more, but I only know of two with the amount of silica actually listed on the label. These are Volvic water, which has about 32 mg/L and Fiji water, which has about 93 mg/L

I guess you can drink a bottle of either one of these a day and I don't see any harm in doing that but also not convinced of a benefit.

Fiji is about 1/2 the price and has twice as much so would be the better deal.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby jay kaye » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:03 pm

Thanks for the prompt response,

I think your answer will put the matter is to better perspective for a lot of readers.

J
jay kaye

Postby JeffN » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:06 pm

jay kaye wrote:Thanks for the prompt response,

I think your answer will put the matter is to better perspective for a lot of readers.

J

People are drinking plenty of both of the above mentioned waters a day just as their regular water and they both are low in sodium so I don't see any harm. I think that is clear. I'm just not sure there is a benefit to Alzheimer's or dementia.

In Health
Jeff

update 2019

Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry
Cognitive Neurology
https://jnnp.bmj.com/content/91/11/1201

Review
Evidence-based prevention of Alzheimer's disease: systematic review and meta-analysis of 243 observational prospective studies and 153 randomised controlled

“Six factors (diastolic blood pressure management, NSAID use, social activity, osteoporosis, pesticide exposure and silicon from drinking water) were rated as Level C low-strength evidence
JeffN

Re: Alzheimers and Silicon Water

Postby debknott » Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:13 pm

Thanks for this discussion. My mum died of dementia in 2018. Her doctor said hers could be Alzheimer's or it could be Vascular Dementia (due to numerous grand mal seizures she had over the years. She lost months of memory from each of these, and those memories never came back.) In any case, I have decided to drink at least one half-liter bottle of Fiji water every day, knowing that it won't hurt and that it might help prevent this terrible disease.
debknott

Re: Alzheimers and Silicon Water

Postby Cihong » Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:59 pm

Nun Study: Alzheimer's Disease ≠ Dementia

"Sister Mary, the gold standard for the Nun Study, was a remarkable woman who had high cognitive test scores before her death at 101 years of age. What is more remarkable is that she maintained this high status despite having abundant neurofibrillary tangles and senile plaques, the classic lesions of Alzheimer's disease. Findings from Sister Mary and all 678 participants in the Nun Study may provide unique clues about the etiology of aging and Alzheimer's disease, exemplify what is possible in old age, and show how the clinical expression of some diseases may be averted."

Source: Aging and Alzheimer's Disease: Lessons From the Nun Study
https://academic.oup.com/gerontologist/ ... 150/616995

Nun Study on CBS: https://youtu.be/rtFe9Nn9Jr4
Cut the C.R.A.P. (Calorie-Rich and Processed) and Get a Life! :) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=57638

Jeff's Top Tipshttps://bit.ly/2X6whaJ
Cihong

Return to Jeff Novick, RD