A Veg Question for Chef Jeff

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

A Veg Question for Chef Jeff

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:14 am

Winter is coming.

You mentioned in older posts that you've been experimenting with using dehydrated/freeze dried vegetables. How's that been working out?

With winter fast approaching and the memories of the past few winters (and their multiple blizzards that each left another 2-3 feet of snow behind) not that far in the past, I'd like to start getting ready for it now. When snowed in for weeks at a time, I run out of frozen veggies in my apartment freezer within a week to 10 days. Last winter, freeze-dried soup vegetables and bags of dried beans really worked out great to provide some meals, but it's hard to make an enjoyable SNAP dinner using canned vegetables.

Have you successfully been able to modify some of your SNAP recipes to use these dried vegetables instead of frozen? Any specific hints to follow, such as which veggies are good dried and which should be avoided? Can an entire SNAP recipe be done using dried veg or should they just substitute for some of the frozen veggies? Have you developed any recipes that use *only* these dried veg?

Besides Harmony House, any other favorite places to order from?

Thanks for any hints or advice. I'm really a klutz in the kitchen and need all the help I can get.
VeggieSue

Re: A Veg Question for Chef Jeff

Postby JeffN » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:36 am

VeggieSue wrote:Winter is coming.

You mentioned in older posts that you've been experimenting with using dehydrated/freeze dried vegetables. How's that been working out?

With winter fast approaching and the memories of the past few winters (and their multiple blizzards that each left another 2-3 feet of snow behind) not that far in the past, I'd like to start getting ready for it now. When snowed in for weeks at a time, I run out of frozen veggies in my apartment freezer within a week to 10 days. Last winter, freeze-dried soup vegetables and bags of dried beans really worked out great to provide some meals, but it's hard to make an enjoyable SNAP dinner using canned vegetables.

Have you successfully been able to modify some of your SNAP recipes to use these dried vegetables instead of frozen? Any specific hints to follow, such as which veggies are good dried and which should be avoided? Can an entire SNAP recipe be done using dried veg or should they just substitute for some of the frozen veggies? Have you developed any recipes that use *only* these dried veg?

Besides Harmony House, any other favorite places to order from?

Thanks for any hints or advice. I'm really a klutz in the kitchen and need all the help I can get.

Good question.

It depends on how you look at it.

I especially liked the starches (potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, etc), Legumes (Beans, lentils, split peas) and some of the veggies (mixed vegetables, kale, cabbage, mushrooms, carrots, tomatoes)

Most of these dried vegetables worked great though you had to work with them and the recipe to get it right.

For example, I could take 3 cups of dried split peas, 2 cups dried sweet potatoes and 1 cup dried carrots, but them in a large soup pot, fill with water, bring to a boil, and then simmer for like 20 minutes and have an incredible soup.

The beans, lentils and peas also made great hummus, dips and dressings. I cup legumes, 1-2 cups water, 1/2 cup mixed veggies in a saucepan, bring to a boil and simmer till thick and you have a great dish that could be either a hummus, a dip or a dressing, depending on how thin/thick you left it

Take some of the above bean dip mix with rolled oats and sweet potato and you can make it into burgers.

Main dishes did not come out as well as while these foods rehydrate, then never fully rehydrate.

This was a problem. Since the foods never fully rehydrate, they end up being about 1.5-2x as calorie dense (based on my estimate as I have not done the exact math, and not as satiating per calorie. So, for anyone closely applying the principles of calorie density, they may find if these foods/dishes make up a large part of their diet, they may gain weight. On the other hand, for those looking to put on weight (or struggling to keep weight on) and looking to do it with really healthy lower fat foods, these foods would be excellent :) Usually, the more calorie dense foods are either high fat or more processed, these are only dried and partially dehydrated.

My two favorite companies are Harmony House and North Bay Trading. There are somethings I much prefer from Harmony House and some from North Bay.

So, in the end, we still use them but more as additions.

I still love the beans, peas, lentils as above. I like the veggies to add to dishes but not be a main part of them, (like dried tomatoes in my marinara sauce or dried cabbage or kale in my longevity soup). My wife likes to make dishes out of the potatoes, squash, lentils and veggies. Quick, easy, flavorful and she could always use a few extra calories. To me, they are not satiating enough, per calorie, when compared to if it was made from fresh or frozen.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:29 pm

Thanks, Jeff.

I do keep some on hand to replace those that I rarely use even fresh, like jalepenos, scallions and shallots. In the past I had carrots and tomatoes, and like you, found them to not rehydrate all that well, but that was years before you told us about your Fast Food/SNAP recipes. I was kind of hoping the drying process got better and they were softer when rehydrated now, but I guess not. Since I do still have weight to lose I better not stock up on too many of these and just keep a small amount on hand for emergencies.

Since you posted that Pinto Bean Soup recipe a few months back I've made it a number of times and eventually bought the larger container of those beans and will soon need more. I'll probably buy a few of the other beans, too. My husband does love his bean spreads and dips, and a gallon container takes up a lot less storage space than the equivalent amount of canned beans in a small apartment pantry closet.

Thanks for your help and the suggestion of trying North Bay Trading. I'll take a peek over there and see what they have.
VeggieSue

Postby JeffN » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:38 pm

VeggieSue wrote: Since you posted that Pinto Bean Soup recipe a few months back I've made it a number of times and eventually bought the larger container of those beans and will soon need more. I'll probably buy a few of the other beans, too. My husband does love his bean spreads and dips, and a gallon container takes up a lot less storage space than the equivalent amount of canned beans in a small apartment pantry closet.

Agreed. There is a space saving convenience to having some of these around, especially the legumes.

VeggieSue wrote: Thanks for your help and the suggestion of trying North Bay Trading. I'll take a peek over there and see what they have.

You are welcome.

Our favorites from them are the sliced carrots, the potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, kale flakes, cabbage and tomato flakes, all air dried, not freeze dried.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD