Interesting comments on salt - from Dr McD's youTube page

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Interesting comments on salt - from Dr McD's youTube page

Postby RawDad » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:31 pm

Jeff,

Some interesting comments on low salt diets in this recording.

He says low salt diets can be just an dangerous as too much - that the sodium/potassium ratio is the real issue and too little sodium
can cause increased mortality (increases insulin resistance, increases vascular tone...)... says are most are safe up to 6g per day.

I am not trying to re-start the war on salt... but I prefer a little salt.. as I think most do and found this to be good news about what I thought was a bad habit.... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVK5fLtPQKI
RawDad

Re: Interesting comments on salt - from Dr McD's youTube pag

Postby JeffN » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:43 pm

Already covered in detail in the salt threads here & a good discussion on it in the lounge.

The McDougall diet is a low(er) sodium diet and our recommendations are very similar and I teach my guidelines in several classes during the 10-day program. We both agree that, for those who want, if you remove the salt from the food, you can add some at the table and still not over do it. His position is often misrepresented.

Quoting from Dr McDougall's most recent book, the Starch Solution:

"Adding a half teaspoon of salt at the table to your starch-based meals over the course of a day adds about 1,110 milligrams of sodium, for a daily total of about 1600 milligrams, 700 milligrams below the 2010 USDA Dietary Guidelines of less than 2,300 milligrams daily,"

That is identical to my guidelines and can only be achieved by greatly minimizing and/or avoiding added salt in the food. If adding a 1/2 tsp, which is 1110, brings you to 1600, that means you will be getting about 490 in the food. A natural diet with no added salt/sodium will provide about 350-500 mg. So, the only way to do this is to consume food with no added salt, which gives you the 350-500, then add in the 1/2 tsp (1110) and you are at around 1600.

The recent speaker at the ASW, whose video was recently uploaded and circulated, does not represent the McDougall program or his views but as is the case with many ASW speakers, they are invited to present their opinions which may differ from Dr McDougall's.

The discussion covers all the studies that "appear" to show some harm in lower intakes and why that is and why it is not applicable to us or most of the population. About 90-99% of Americans take in too much sodium and would benefit from a reduction. Less than 1%, who are in a unique situation, may be harmed from a lower intake. The visual of the bar chart near the end of the discussion puts this in a perspective.

As I said above, we actually do serve a low(er) sodium diet at the 10-day program and have some who are asked to follow even a lower sodium diet. Dr McD just does not want you to be afraid of adding some at the table if you find it necessary to enjoy the food.

All of this is covered in my detailed discussion...

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewt ... 22&t=23557

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Interesting comments on salt - from Dr McD's youTube pag

Postby RawDad » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:55 pm

Thanks Jeff - I appreciate the explanation.
RawDad

Return to Jeff Novick, RD