Low Iron

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Low Iron

Postby JeffN » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:45 pm

kirstykay wrote:Jeff,
I'm new to the forum, and I have a question. My Dr. said my blood test showed very low iron. He put me on iron pills (Ferrous Sulfate 325mg 1 pill 3x/daily). He asked if I've been eating meat. When I said no, he seemed concerned. Have others on MWL had a problem with anemia? Are there certain foods that I should be eating to help with this?
Thanks,
Kirsty

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5800&p=40648

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby kirstykay » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:29 am

Jeff,

Thanks for the link.

My doctor said it was my iron storage that was the problem , but unfortunately, he never gave me a specific number and I didn't think to ask. Can you explain the difference and if the treatment is the same?

I've been taking an iron supplement 1x/daily. I think I am better, but I never really felt bad to begin with. I always attributed my tiredness to my high blood sugar, but now I am in the normal range, so I can't really tell if it's making a difference. I see my oncologist (who prescribed the iron supplements) again in June for follow-up. I am cancer free, and have been for two years. I want to stop taking the pills, but not sure if I should.
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby JeffN » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:37 am

Thanks for the link.

My doctor said it was my iron storage that was the problem , but unfortunately, he never gave me a specific number and I didn't think to ask. Can you explain the difference and if the treatment is the same?

I've been taking an iron supplement 1x/daily. I think I am better, but I never really felt bad to begin with. I always attributed my tiredness to my high blood sugar, but now I am in the normal range, so I can't really tell if it's making a difference. I see my oncologist (who prescribed the iron supplements) again in June for follow-up. I am cancer free, and have been for two years. I want to stop taking the pills, but not sure if I should.

These are decisions that only you can make and hopefully, with the support of a competent health professional who understands plant based diets and the issues.

I think you have some legitimate concerns. Unfortunately, these anonymous public forums do not allow me to make any such recommendations on a personal level.

I would encourage you to focus on those foods which are the highest in iron density (iron/calories).

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby pinkrose » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:35 am

pathrika wrote:Why is it so painful during my period? Can anaemia affect how painful it is?
I am bleeding heavily and I have blood clots. I have very irregular periods and this is my most recent one after 4 months. I haven't been taking iron supplements recently, only due to the fact I ran out and can't get out of the house to get some yet. I am used to pain and bloating during my period but I have NEVER felt anything like this, its excruciating. Could my anaemia cause this? Please help me.

Sorry you are feeling bad, Pat. I think you should be evaluated by a gynecologist as soon as possible. Please let us know you do!
pinkrose

Postby Rosey » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:35 am

I'm new to the forum, and I have a question. My Dr. said my blood test showed very low iron. He put me on iron pills (Ferrous Sulfate 325mg 1 pill 3x/daily). He asked if I've been eating meat. When I said no, he seemed concerned. Have others on MWL had a problem with anemia? Are there certain foods that I should be eating to help with this?
Thanks,
Kirsty

I haven't read what others have said but I I was anemic and I'm not anymore since being on this food plan but I make sure and put my dark greens in with almost every meal now days. Feel tons better since I've been eating this way and my doctor actually says it's much better for me then eating the SAD diet.
Rosey

Postby susie » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:21 am

I have had low iron for years. I ask, ' low compared to what'? Too much iron is dangerous too! After menopause, it isn't a problem. Now I refuse blood tests.
susie

Postby Love the Lorax » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:00 am

Just to throw in another voice :lol: my iron was checked today since I donated blood. She said it was very good, and I don't eat meat either.
Love the Lorax

Previous

Return to Jeff Novick, RD