Is Your Vegan Restaurant Food Really Vegan?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Is Your Vegan Restaurant Food Really Vegan?

Postby JeffN » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:16 pm

Quoting..

"Operation Pancake: Undercover investigation of LA vegan restaurants
by mr meanerLA restaurants, green leaves vegan, news
Is your vegan food really vegan? We pull out all the stops to test 17 LA area vegan restaurants for non-vegan ingredients, and to find out why seven of them failed miserably.

From Pure Luck to Green Leaves, Vegan House to Vegan Plate and Rosemead to Taipei we pull back the covers on the seedy world of vegan restaurants, and an international supply chain that pumps eggs and milk into our supposedly vegan food on a daily basis."

Read the full report here..

http://www.quarrygirl.com/2009/06/28/un ... staurants/

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby dlb » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:39 pm

I had seen this. It was really interesting. I think the authors did an incredible job putting together their "research".

Most of the stuff that's is on the list of samples, I don't even consider food - vegan or not.

Donna
To read how the McDougall Program helped me reach my goals, go here:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/donna_byrnes.html
dlb

Postby DavidMR » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:39 pm

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting the link, Jeff!

I never thought to question the labels on packaged foods. I guess, reading a label carefully is not enough--one needs a dose of skepticism, as well.
DavidMR

Re: Wow

Postby landog » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:51 pm

NC wrote:However, I am generally content to eat my plants in a form that looks like . . . plants.

I went to Chicago on Father Day's weekend with two of my boys. My son made sure that we went out to a vegan restaurant on Saturday night. When my daughter joined us the next day, my son told her "guess what Dad ate ---rice, beans and potato wedges!"

He seemed surprised, for some reason... :D

I've had better meals at a steak place. Baked potato, steamed asparagus and steamed green beans...
landog

Vegan restaurants not that different

Postby veithr » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:28 pm

I find it just as difficult to find an acceptable meal in a vegan restaurant as most standard restaurants. Typical vegan meals have too much salt and oil. Also, it is just as hard to figure out what the kitchen is doing with the food.

I favor Asian restaurants that serve brown rice. I can always get steamed vegetables and brown rice. Japanese restaurants most always serve sushi made with only vegetables and rice.

If given a choice between a vegan restaurant and a Japanese or Thai restaurant I'll take Asian every time.
Howard
veithr

Re: Vegan restaurants not that different

Postby JeffN » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:55 pm

veithr wrote:If given a choice between a vegan restaurant and a Japanese or Thai restaurant I'll take Asian every time.

Based on my personal experience over the years, I agree completely :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD