Fruit & Veggie Washes and Removing Wax

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Fruit & Veggie Washes and Removing Wax

Postby momof4 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:57 pm

Hi Jeff,
I'm watching Dr Greger's VSH talk about cancer, and he talks about the importance of eating the skin of fruits and vegetables for the antioxidants. Of course we all know that's where most of the nutrition is, but I always peel things like apples because of the coating that's put on them. I think you've covered washing produce, but is there a way to get that waxy stuff off of apples? If you can't get it all off, is it still better to eat the skin and get those nutrients, rather than peeling it away?
momof4

Re: Fruit & Veggie Washes and Removing Wax

Postby JeffN » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:36 pm

momof4 wrote:Hi Jeff,
I'm watching Dr Greger's VSH talk about cancer, and he talks about the importance of eating the skin of fruits and vegetables for the antioxidants. Of course we all know that's where most of the nutrition is, but I always peel things like apples because of the coating that's put on them. I think you've covered washing produce, but is there a way to get that waxy stuff off of apples? If you can't get it all off, is it still better to eat the skin and get those nutrients, rather than peeling it away?

Greetings,

It is always a good idea to thoroughly wash your produce, even if it says pre-washed.

In regard to the wax, there are certain commercial fruit and veggie "washes" that say they remove the wax and chemicals but I wouldn't waste any money on them. Studies have shown them to be ineffective and that water and elbow grease works fine. A produce/vegetable brush though would be a good idea. Some say adding a drop of either vinegar or bleach or salt or baking soda or dish soap helps, but there’s no evidence for them either and some of these may be harmful.

Colorado Extension
https://extension.colostate.edu/topic-a ... uce-9-380/

FDA
https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Consum ... 256215.htm

In the end, it is always way better to make sure you are eating enough fruits and veggies, regardless.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Fruit & Veggie Washes and Removing Wax

Postby JeffN » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:03 am

2023 Update

FDA

https://www.fda.gov/media/77178/downloa ... you%20sick

When preparing any fresh produce, begin with clean hands. Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and warm water before and after preparation.

• Cut away any damaged or bruised areas on fresh fruits and vegetables before preparing and/or eating. Throw away any produce that looks rotten.

• Wash all produce thoroughly under running water before preparing and/or eating, including produce grown at home or bought from a grocery store or farmers’ market.

• Washing can reduce bacteria that may be present, but it will not eliminate it.

• Washing fruits and vegetables with soap, detergent, or commercial produce wash is not recommended. Produce is porous. Soap and household detergents can be absorbed by fruits and vegetables, despite thorough rinsing, and can make you sick. Also, the safety of the residues of commercial produce washes is not known and their effectiveness has not been tested.

• Scrub firm produce, such as melons and cucumbers, with a clean produce brush.

• After washing, dry produce with a clean cloth towel or paper towel to further reduce bacteria that may be present on the surface.

• Cooking produce thoroughly kills harmful bacteria and reduces the risk of illness.

CDC

https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/communic ... ggies.html

Wash your hands, kitchen utensils, and food preparation surfaces, including chopping boards and countertops, before and after preparing fruits and vegetables.

Clean fruits and vegetables before eating, cutting, or cooking, unless the package says the contents have been washed.

Wash or scrub fruits and vegetables under running water—even if you do not plan to eat the peel. Germs on the peel or skin can get inside fruits and vegetables when you cut them.

Washing fruits and vegetables with soap, detergent, or commercial produce wash is not recommended. Do not use bleach solutions or other disinfecting products on fruits and vegetables.

Cut away any damaged or bruised areas before preparing or eating. Germs can more easily get into fruits and vegetables if the peel or skin is damaged or bruised.

Get rid of any torn or bruised leaves. Also, get rid of the outer leaves of cabbages and lettuce heads because they are likely to have more dirt and germs on them.

Dry fruit or vegetables with a clean paper towel.

Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD