Cholesterol too low?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Cholesterol too low?

Postby ktroost » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:11 am

Hi Jeff,

I posted the following on a different discussion and someone suggested that I post it on your board.

I just saw my Naturopathic Doctor after having bloodwork done. My total cholesterol is now 122, and she is concerned that my cholesterol is too low and could lead to depression, anxiety and other health issues. How low is too low? What about good cholesterol? What are optimal numbers for both?

Thanks...

Karen
ktroost

Re: Cholesterol too low?

Postby JeffN » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:10 am

ktroost wrote:Hi Jeff,

I posted the following on a different discussion and someone suggested that I post it on your board.

I just saw my Naturopathic Doctor after having bloodwork done. My total cholesterol is now 122, and she is concerned that my cholesterol is too low and could lead to depression, anxiety and other health issues. How low is too low? What about good cholesterol? What are optimal numbers for both?

Thanks...

Karen

They have the cart before the horse.

Low cholesterol that results from a very healthy diet and lifestyle is not the problem.

In most cases, the optimal numbers for you are the ones that result from following the healthiest diet and lifestyle.

Do not chase numbers, chase health.

There are many threads on these topics here. To better understand it all, take some time to read through the Hot Topics and the FAQ

In Health
jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD