vitamin C

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

vitamin C

Postby Maer » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:04 pm

Hi Jeff,

I've heard that vitamin C doesn't survive the cooking process of foods. Do you know whether this applies to all methods of cooking? For example, light steaming of broccoli--do you really lose all the C? I'm guessing that microwaving would result in a greater loss of C, and that dry or water sauteeing might also result in a greater loss.

I like broccoli and bell pepper best cooked, but don't like the idea of losing all the C, and I have to avoid citrus and many other fruits as well, so don't have them to fall back on as a source of vitamin C.

Any thoughts, thanks!

Maer
Maer

Re: vitamin C

Postby JeffN » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:13 pm

Well, it's just not true.

You can go to the USDA Nutrition Database and enter any number of plant foods in their cooked form & you will see the Vitamin C content. You could see the same in CRON-O-Meter, NutritonData or any other reputable nutrition analysis program.

You can see a comparison chart here...

http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-coo ... d-2f.shtml

Yes, different methods of cooking effect it differently but to say it does not survive is just not true.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: vitamin C

Postby Maer » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:08 pm

Thanks! That's helpful (and reassuring).

Maer
Maer

Return to Jeff Novick, RD