Real and Simple

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Real and Simple

Postby Jobet » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:25 am

After reading in many of the wonderful journals here, I’ve decided to give it a go. I think this will be a very helpful tool in keeping on track.

Since today is my first day to journal, and I’ve only eaten breakfast so far, I’ll use this first entry as an introduction.

The unexpected loss of my husband a few years back, due to a reaction to prescribed BP meds, jarred me to my senses about my own health. My research, with some trial and error along the way, finally led me to Dr. McDougall. I’ve been on the MWL plan since December 19, 2017.

I’m 71 years of age, with no diseases that I’m aware of, and do not take any prescription or other meds.

I’m a minimalist, with tons of food sensitivities, so the simplicity of this WOE is perfect for me. I’m one of those people who doesn’t need a lot of variety. Also, since the loss of my husband, I’ve been on a very tight budget and I’ve found that beans, grains, and veggies can be very inexpensive. In the beginning, I tried a few recipes with tons of ingredients, but soon found they didn’t suit my time, money, or taste.

If my menus appear sparse, here is why: If I eat white potatoes, brown/white rice, wheat and other gluten products I get terrible arthritic pain in my feet, ankles, elbows, wrists and fingers. Plus, I feel extremely lethargic. I can only eat from the nightshade family sparingly, or I have similar problems. The main starches I eat are: sweet potatoes, quinoa, millet, buckwheat, winter squash, and occasionally black rice. I also enjoy corn, peas, and beans (limiting to around a cup per day of beans). These foods make up the bulk of my meals now, with lots of colorful veggies, and a few fruits. I don’t feel very well after much fruit consumption so keep it minimal, not eating it daily. The MWL was tailor made for me!!

As limited as my diet sounds, I’m perfectly happy with it. The only thing I miss by eating this way is avocado, nuts, sunflower seeds, coconut, and tofu. I do grind my own and eat 1 tablespoon of flaxseed daily on a salad.

The first few weeks on this plan I gained weight. But, since, I’ve gradually lost around ten pounds. I was sedentary when I first began, numbing out with blue chips and Netflix (which has now been cancelled). But, due to this WOE I’m now feeling so much better that on good days I actually “desire” to walk at a nearby trail and on winter/rainy days I jog on my rebounder indoors. I know my weight loss sounds extremely low compared to the loss many report but it simply doesn’t bother me in the least. I need to lose around forty pounds, and I know it will come off as I go along. At one time in my life weighing daily was a huge deal for me, but no longer. In spite of low weight loss, my clothes feel loose. I can move so much easier, plus I no longer fall asleep at my desk every afternoon. I now feel like pursuing my hobby, art photography. These days, I’m even going on hikes with my son who has asked my help with his new hobby as a videographer.

The horrible food cravings I once had for sweet junk foods left the very first day on this plan. There were times I literally sat and cried because I thought if I didn’t walk to the nearby Dollar Tree for junk food, I would simply die! Most times I gave into those cravings. I haven’t craved any of that junk since mid December. Come to think of it, I haven’t been to Dollar Tree since then either!

Spring is blossoming in my neck of the woods, so I think this is a good time for me to make a new beginning too, by journaling. I’ll be keeping it real and simple!

Last edited by Jobet on Wed May 02, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Re: Real and Simple

Postby moonlight » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:41 pm

Hi Jobet,

Welcome to the Journal thread! I so appreciate this website and a place to journal with like-minded individuals. I hope you will find inspiration as well. The MWL plan really energizes me. I think it must be the healthiest diet to have and we have this wonderful free website to support us on this journey. Your photo of the daffodil is lovely. They are blooming in my yard, too.

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your husband. Good luck with your new beginning and adventures in eating.
moonlight

Postby Jobet » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:19 pm

moonlight wrote:Hi Jobet,

Welcome to the Journal thread! I so appreciate this website and a place to journal with like-minded individuals. I hope you will find inspiration as well. The MWL plan really energizes me. I think it must be the healthiest diet to have and we have this wonderful free website to support us on this journey. Your photo of the daffodil is lovely. They are blooming in my yard, too.

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your husband. Good luck with your new beginning and adventures in eating.

Thank you so much, moonlight, for stopping by my new journal. I just revisited yours. Thanks too for all your kind words. So very, very true: having this wonderful free website to support us on this journey.

Blessings,

Jobet
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Day 1 Journaling

Postby Jobet » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:25 pm

First full day of food for my new journal: March 10

Breakfast: Quinoa with steamed veggies: carrots, red cabbage, onion and baby spinach. I added a sprinkle of reduced-sodium Tamari after taking the photo.

Lunch: (First time having this dish, made it up as I went along.) Whole grain buckwheat cooked in my rice cooker, drained and rinsed well and cooled. Added corn, black beans, raw baby spinach, sweet onion and salsa. (Will be making this "Buckwheat Salad" again for sure!)

Dinner: Busy watching the iThrive series so didn't want to stop to cook. Had leftovers from breakfast and lunch. Plus, pineapple in it's own juice. (The iThrive series, I'm just on episode 2, is incredible. I was thrilled to see Dr. McDougall in the first episode.)

A photo of my breakfast. I love, love, love how colorful and beautiful my food is these days!

Last edited by Jobet on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby Jobet » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:45 pm

March 11

Breakfast: Millet, Steamed carrots and Brussels sprouts

Lunch: Salad: romaine lettuce, baby spinach and kale, cucumber, sweet onion, sauerkraut, corn, black beans, leftover buckwheat from day before, 1 tsp. ground flax seed. Served with Jane Esselstyn's 3, 2, 1 Salad Dressing

Dinner: Cold and rainy here today so I wanted Chili, but busy with iThrive videos, so it had to be easy and quick. Made a super easy recipe I have used for over thirty years, before being WFPB. I found it in Prevention Magazine.

1 can fire roasted chopped tomatoes
1 can corn
1 can kidney beans (rinsed); can use any beans. I often use black or garbanzo
Seasoned with Kirkland Organic No-Salt Seasoning, chili powder, a dash of cinnamon (can use any spices to taste)
Bring to boil and simmer for about ten minutes on low heat.

I served my quick chili with millet left over from breakfast.

Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby f00die » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:57 am

is the ithrive series any good?
its really long...
f00die

Postby Morris » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:53 am

Hi, thanks for stopping by my journal. Love your pictures. I am looking forward to reading your journal.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Jobet » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:28 am

f00die wrote:is the ithrive series any good?
its really long...

Hi Foodie,

Even though I'm not diabetic, I thought the series was very informative, but definitely long. Actually, I fast forwarded through much of it. I watched eight of the nine series offered free Sat and Sun. I inadvertently missed episode 3. My son got the series, so I'll go back and view that one later.

I'm still new at this way of life, so take my opinions as just that, opinions. Here are some random thoughts.

I was excited to see Dr. McDougall in the very first episode, although briefly. I never saw him again, which was a disappointment. I'm not sure why he wasn't in other episodes, and it might have been by his own choice.

I thought the segment with Dr. Alan Goldhamer, in episode 5, was the best. I also loved the segment with Rip Esselstyn in episode 4. The portions with Dr. T. Colin Campbell, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Dr Michael Klaper, Dr Doug Lisle, Dr. Neal Barnard, and Dr Anthony Lim were also very good.

I had never heard of Dr. Jason Fung, looked him up and see that he advocates a low-carb eating plan, and I found him very boring, so fast forwarded through him, which was a lot.

I ff through Dr Mercola and Mike Adams. There were others I had never heard of, found pretty boring, so ff through them too.

IMHO there was way too much of Dr. Joel Fuhrman in the videos. I cringe every single time I hear him say not to eat potatoes or rice. I followed his program for a while and was constantly craving and hungry. That did not stop until I found the McDougall plan and added more sweet potatoes and grains to my WOE. I've also searched about Dr Fuhrman on this board and found some very informative material that helped me to understand why I always had an uneasy feeling about his advice. I'm thankful I woke up before spending any more money on his supplements.

I wish, Jon, only the best and I hope he will continue to research some of the people he had in this series and come to good, healthy, and life-saving conclusions.
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby Jobet » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:31 am

Morris wrote:Hi, thanks for stopping by my journal. Love your pictures. I am looking forward to reading your journal.

Hi, Nancy (aka Morris). Thanks so much for dropping by and your comments. Looking forward to reading further in your journal too. :)
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby Jobet » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:51 pm

March 12

Breakfast: Black (Forbidden) Rice, steamed carrots, red cabbage and onion.

Lunch: Baked sweet potato, steamed kale, leftover quick-chili from yesterday poured over.

Dinner: Salad: Romaine lettuce, combo of baby spinach - baby kale - baby chards, black beans, corn, onion,
millet leftover from yesterday, sauerkraut, ground hemp seed.
Jane Esselstyn's 3, 2, 1 Salad Dressing

Snack: Cuties

My lunch:

I love it when the juice of my baked sweet potato falls onto the parchment paper and caramelizes! Sweet as candy. I wish I could figure out how to package it for sale, I'd be a rich woman!! :)
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby Morris » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:40 am

What a beautiful photo! I know what one of my future meals is going to be.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Jobet » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:54 am

Morris wrote:What a beautiful photo! I know what one of my future meals is going to be.

Thanks, Nancy. It's one of my fave meals. I often have it with steamed broccoli in place of the kale.
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby Jobet » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:40 pm

March 13

Breakfast: Baked sweet potato (leftover from yesterday), Steamed broccoli and carrots.

Lunch: I was super busy today without time to cook so found some leftover great northern beans in the fridge, and leftover black rice from yesterday. Heated and ate with salsa.

Dinner: Remainder beans and rice from lunch, * Steamed kale with boiled sweet potato cubes.

* Before starting the MWL plan I loved steamed kale with avocado and balsamic vinegar. I ate at least a half of an avocado a day, sometimes a whole one. Growing up in Fl a friend had a nearby avocado grove and we were allowed to pick them freely. I remember in high school I ate an avocado almost every morning for breakfast. Back then, though, I slathered them in Hellmann's mayo! (No wonder I've had a weight problem most of my life!) But, I no longer eat avocados and I've learned to eat fresh steamed kale with sweet potato on it in place of the avocado. I love it this way now!

Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby Ruff » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:17 pm

love, love love the photos!
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby Jobet » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:16 pm

Ruff wrote:love, love love the photos!