New way of eating - one day at a time

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: New way of eating - one day at a time

Postby JohnLarson » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:21 am

Weigh-in Day!

Back in onderland, I am staying this time.

I checked blood sugar, 106. I rarely check it anymore. Also, I have not been obsessed with the scale as I was before. That might change if I see that two again, which I of course would see if I got on the scale later on today. I am trying to just get on it in the morning and not letting the numbers affect me either way. Just because I am under 200 does not mean I go out and have cake and ice cream or some SAD meal.

8/23/13

B: banana
L: 3 big baked potatoes
D: (Ruby Tuesday) salad bar, potato, steamed zucchini, steamed broccoli

E: push-ups 20, 15; sit-ups 20

No late night snacks! On a Friday night of all things.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby ~Beth~ » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:32 am

Congrats on getting below 200 again

Start date: Sept 25, 2012
~Beth~

Postby JohnLarson » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:47 am

~Beth~ wrote:Congrats on getting below 200 again

Thanks!

I am going to do my best to stay on plan and I hope to get farther away from that 200. Getting under 200 last time gave me permission to celebrate. I need to remember that is not my goal anymore.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:59 pm

It has been a busy week.

On Monday I shared my story at an AA speaker meeting. I mentioned that my return to meetings was inspired by the altruistic attitude here on the forums and my changes in eating.

I also picked up some used dress shirts. 16 1/2 neck! Which would be considered Large size. I think my neck is more at 16, but my chest and gut have plenty of excess still. I also picked up a pair of used levi 501's (34 waist).

I have been doing better with my push-ups and sit-ups. My food has been good. I did buy some fat free carmel dip for apples. I have been snacking on that.

I have not been freaked out by the scale. My clothes are fitting great and I feel great.

I had a phone interview with a corporate recruiter today, which is the final phase for the media sales position. It went real well. I fully expect to get the position. Expectations have not always been my strong point. To treat myself, I went to TCBY and had some non-dairy frozen yogurt made with Silk Almond Milk - http://tcby.com/menu-nutrition/soft-ser ... te_almond/

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:11 pm

The day started with being told that the guy I did the interview with suggested that they keep looking, that my experience was more analytical and that I was a deep thinker. The local manager still had the authority to hire me, it is not a no or a yes, but a keep looking. He read the email to me word for word. The corporate hiring manager had some valid issues with my lack of business to business sales experience and was unsure of my productivity being more of a problem solver.

I was pretty crushed. I thought it was a no-brainer for them and me. He told me he should know something by Thursday, but he had to set up more phone interviews with corporate before hiring anyone. I came home, said a prayer, changed clothes and dropped the local manager a quick email giving a more detailed response than I did while talking to him earlier. I figured that any more information I gave them would help. I sort of understand where they were coming from and did my best to address the issues. I also sent my résumé out to a few job openings on Monster.com. I was pretty sure that on Thursday I would be told, "thanks but no thanks". Like I said I was crushed. I had not really been looking that hard for work and my business closes on the 22nd of this month. Besides the fast food interview, I had not talked with anyone. I really felt this job made sense for me and I would start working soon. Time to get serious about finding a new job.

Well, after the email and sending out a few resumes, I hung out with a friend to cheer myself up. It would be nice to say that my lunch was on plan, it was not. I went to one of my favorite places, a Greek restaurant and ate SAD, Mediterranean SAD, but still SAD. I even dipped some bread in olive oil. I enjoyed my meal and had decided that a feast meal would cheer me up, it did. I have no regrets, maybe later on I will, but at this writing, I really enjoyed my oily, cheesy, meaty meal. I did drink water...

I called my Mom, there are just times a guy needs his Mom. I really felt I had the job in the bag and had told her about it this weekend. Talking to her helped.

Around 3pm, I received a call from the local manager. He had read my email and forwarded it to corporate. They replied back to him and instructed him to hire me. I start Monday.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JulieS » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:32 pm

Congrats!!!! :eek: You had me thinking you weren't going to get it! So happy for you! 8)
LOST 55 POUNDS! From pant size 14 to size 4, BMI:21
JulieS

Postby ~Beth~ » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:25 pm

Wow, that's great John!!

Congrats

:-D

~Beth~

Postby Ruff » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:00 pm

Oh well done! Congratulations! :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

What a relief that will be. Now you can bless this new (to you) business with your wonderful positive, friendly self. Great for them, and great for you too.
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby JohnLarson » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:30 pm

It has been over a week since I posted. I can't post at work and my evenings have been fairly jam packed.

I will try to pick up from last Tuesday. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday were all great on food and even doing push-ups and sit-ups.

On Saturday my wife was out and about so I called a friend to hang out with. Well, a while back I had interviewed for a job at a fast food place. I think my friend was hoping I would get a job there as he has never ate there. He asked if we could go there. I said sure as long as we would go on a hike later. I made a decision to eat SAD. I thought about it. I had plenty of time to eat something at home, but in all honesty, I was wanting to eat one of their burgers also. So I had a Carolina Style quarter pounder. That is with chili and coleslaw on it. I also had two corn dogs. We went for the hike. About a mile into it, I could feel the CRAP in my sides, not pleasant. Not earth shattering bad either, but I kept walking. I felt better later.

Sunday was opening kick-off and I made cheese-dip. I had a little of it and some regular Doritos. I can honestly say I do not regret any of my choices this past weekend. I did decide on Sunday that my feasts for September are done. I am busy the next three Sundays, so no football anyway.

I started my new job Monday. There is another new guy, plus they are hiring one more. I share office space with someone who has been there about three months, she was the new person before we showed up. I think I will do great at the job. I brought in some bags of frozen veggies, the one pound generic ones that cost $1 and I cook two big potatoes in the morning and reheat there. So far the last three days have been good as far as eating and exercise goes.

B: 1c oatmeal w/banana & honey
L: 2 potatoes w/mixed veggies

Dinner has been either the same as lunch or rice and veggies. This evening I had rice & corn, plus hash browns with mushrooms & onions. Lots of starch!

I was in a bad mood last night, not sure why. I think I am coming to terms with my company closing. My wife raised her voice trying to ask me a question and I started yelling back. This did not go well. I ended up hitting the bathroom door for effect, but put a stupid hole in it. I have never done than before, even when drinking.

Now to top it off, today I am sick. I am not sure the last time I was sick. I hate being sick. My throat is froggy and my nose is running. Tonight I broke down and took some Sedufed, I hate taking pills and really do not like the way the Sedufed messes with my head and body. I have to tough it out. No one at work could really tell, I have not talked a whole lot anyway. I did do some voice over work for a radio ad, that was cool. I am really going to like this new job.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:34 pm

On a side note, I have decided, in my own way, observe Yom Kippur this weekend. I do not know much about it, but plan on fasting Friday at sunset until Saturday at sunset. I think it is 25 hours. I will use this time to reflect on my own excesses of food and those that have little food. I will also reflect on how my behavior and actions affect others.

I am going to read more about it. I am not Jewish, but figure why not.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby Tom Dylan » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:36 am

Hi John,

How's it going?
Tom Dylan
Tom Dylan

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:15 pm

It has been a while since I have posted.

I am glad September is over and I think calmer waters are ahead.

My business closed September 22nd and it is all in storage. I started a new job September 9th and it is a real challenge in a whole new field for me, media sales for a local radio station. I do not think I exercised very much this past month. I also ate way too much SAD. That being said, I gained 15 pounds. My wife even commented on my weight gain. Last Saturday I made a decision to aim for 100% compliance. Any treats will be non-MWL items, but I will focus on eating MWL with an occasional whole grain bread or pasta. I know what to eat, it is just the silly snacks and samples that are getting me, besides saying screw it and eating SAD, but it is the snacks and samples that trigger that.

I went to the doctor today, finally after getting rescheduled a few times. My A1C is 6.5. Still diabetic, but very good for an overweight person not taking and medication. My cholesterol was great. My blood pressure was a little high (138/88). I am sure my salt intake is way too high. They are sending me an armband tester. I think once I get back on track with the treadmill and other exercise, it will come down. They want to see me in 3 months. My goal is to be at my goal weight by then. I know I can do this.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby kkrichar » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:23 pm

Hi John,

I stopped by for some cheering up. I read exactly what I needed to read. This stuff is hard but we have the tools. Thank you for your honesty in sharing and for showing up even when it sucks.

Congrats on the new job!!

Kelly

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby Wild4Stars » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:32 pm

Of course you can do it. 3 months is enough time to get back on track, get all those numbers where they need to be and working towards your future health. Good to hear from you again! We're all cheering for you.
"If your lifestyle doesn't control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle." Ern Baxter
Wild4Stars

Postby ~Beth~ » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi John
It's so hard to keep focused on eating right when we have extra stresses going on
So easy to go back to those "comfort" foods
Just keep up your resolve and journal your foods if you can
Knowing that people are checking in on you may help
Beth

~Beth~

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals