Becky's Healthy Life Journal

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Becky's Healthy Life Journal

Postby joyfulmother » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:03 pm

I have a blog but would love a place to just make daily notes and comments on my progress. This seems like the perfect place to do it - thanks for the opportunity.

Today is my third day McDougalling and probably my 2nd day of no cheats, LOL! Monday I did perfect all day and then went with my family to Sonic for ice cream that night. A big no-no. Yesterday was a great day but again, took a bite of my son's chicken.

Just finished a lunch of tri color spiral noodles, black beans and fat-free Italian dressing. I'm pretty sure it is all McDougall compliant but the pasta would not be MWL compliant, right?

Tonight we are having Creamy Bean Soup and "Chik" patty sandwiches. I still prepare meat for my guys a couple of times a week.
-Becky
I received a kidney transplant in 2010 and am working hard to fully reclaim my health.

My Blog: Plant Proud
joyfulmother

Re: Becky's Healthy Life Journal

Postby joyfulmother » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:19 am

We went out to eat last night to a place that I love - my "healthy meal" used to be a fresh pineapple half topped with chicken salad, a side salad and a side of grapes.

Last night I had a baked potato and a side salad. I was going to order the steamed broccoli but thought to ask if it had any added butter and it did! It came pre-cooked with butter!! They said they could wash it off but could not guarantee there wouldn't be any butter on it. I just skipped it.

This morning I am down 1.4 pounds since yesterday! Amazing. My husband thought I was eating healthier when I was counting calories because of what he saw me eat last night (very little food) but once I reminded him about the broccoli I think he understood. I could have eaten another potato but didn't want to order another!

I am most amazed about 1.4 pounds because in almost 4 months of counting calories and exercising 4 to 5 days a week, the pounds were coming off VERY slowly. I attributed that to the prednisone I must take but if this keeps up, I'm going to be very happy!
-Becky
I received a kidney transplant in 2010 and am working hard to fully reclaim my health.

joyfulmother

Postby Chile » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:10 am

Debbie sums up the MWL guidelines well in the post stuck at the top of the MWL forum here. You're right that pasta is a flour product and therefore not part of MWL. However, whole grain pasta is fine in the "regular" McDougall program. Some people lose weight without resorting to the further restrictions of MWL. Some people lose weight combining the two (such as Marla just mentioned in her last comment in the 100% compliance thread). Others must stick strictly to MWL to consistently lose weight.

When first switching to McDougalling and trying to eliminate the animal foods, oils, and too much sugar/salt, I think it's easiest to allow yourself to get familiar with the regular program foods. Then, if necessary, incorporate more and more MWL principles - more raw veggies, more whole foods instead of flours, etc.
Chile

Postby SunshineDay » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:14 am

Hi Becky -- enjoyed reading your posts, and congratulations upon the weight loss! Isn't it fantastic how this works when one really puts one's mind to it? I myself just recently started a journal here too (SunshineDay's Diary), and while I don't weigh myself at this time (have a history with 'weight obsession' and know I'm better off not focusing too much on 'numbers' right now) there are plenty of signs that I'm losing too :-). Also like you I'm 45 years old, a SAHHM (that extra 'H' for Homeschooling), and could probably stand to lose somewhere in the vicinity of 80+ or so pounds. So I'll be watching for future updates from you Becky-- in any case well done, and keep on keeping on...!
SunshineDay

Postby joyfulmother » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:12 pm

I believe I have had a good food day. I had hashbrowns and ketchup for breakfast.

We went to lunch after church at Ruby Tuesday. I felt for sure that I could get some veggies to go along with a baked potatoes. Their seasonal vegetables came already "seasoned" with garlic butter (from their distributors) so I sat and ate a baked potato while the resto f my family ate their lunches. I felt quite pitiful, LOL!

I just now made some no-oil hummus and had it with about 3 stalks of celery and 1 cucumber. It was supposed to be a snack but now it feels like it was dinner!
-Becky

joyfulmother

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning