Tara's September Journal

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Tara's September Journal

Postby woods38 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Hi everyone! I'm back to try and follow the regular plan for this month. I hope to lose a little weight and end up a bit healthier and more energetic.

Day 1: 183.8 (I won't weigh in again until Oct. 1st)
instant oatmeal packet (not ideal)
apple
clementine
coffee with sugar and homemade oat milk (don't plan on giving it up yet)
roasted potatoes
Mcdougall soup cup with carrots and kale added
Wheat chex cereal with oat milk and raisins
Low calorie juice added to water

Feeling tired today. Not interested in cooking anything fancy. Just trying to get by on plan. Sore joints too. Feeling stiff despite a bit of exercise and stretching this morning.
woods38

Re: Tara's September Journal

Postby Chile » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:24 pm

After a week of intermittant feasting (several special occasions among friends and family all fall within a week), I'm feeling tired and drug out today, too. I'm not pushing myself physically today as I know that within a few days of eating healthy, I - and you - will be feeling better and more energetic. Just gotta stick to the good food.
Chile

Postby woods38 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:13 pm

Still in it to win it. I was so busy with work yesterday but I was able to go, go, go all day without a break. I also got in a 20 min. workout in the morning. I packed lots of good food and brought it all to work. I looked a bit ridiculous with all of my Tupperware but I don't have to eat out and I'm eating really healthy. Yesterday I enjoyed oatmeal (not instant), applesauce, chili mac (made with canned chili beans, whole wheat elbows, and green peppers), potato chili spiced fries, grilled zucchini, rice and broccoli for dinner. I shared with my husband and he had lots of good food to bring to work and eat at home too.

I just finished watching "Forks over Knives" with my daughter. Thank you netflix! I told her about it and she wanted to watch it with me. She's a senior in high school this year with an interest in biology. We shall see what happens.

Today is going well. I just finished making some rice with garbanzo beans, mixed veggies and Mrs. dash spices. It's pretty good. Quick oats are becoming a habit for breakfast. No need for the sugary instant stuff. I also started my day with green tea today. Not bad. I'm happy with myself. I've been tempted to cheat but I'm not going to quit on myself this time. I really want to be a good example for my family.
woods38

Postby luvdachiess » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:05 pm

You go Tara! You can do this and continue with success!!
Teresa
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wHMutQn/]
[/url]
luvdachiess

Postby woods38 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:47 am

Survived dinner at my parents house. I was supposed to bring a dish for myself but I didn't have time to make anything so when I got there I made myself 6 small potatoes and topped them with steamed kale. I liked them but it must have looked boring to my family. They had a huge mound of very cheesy mac and cheese, kale sauted in oil, and baked beans with bacon. My mom and aunt both have health problems and suffered from swollen ankles and indigestion later. I felt good. I had been a little tempted by the cheese but I am so glad I didn't eat any. I had grapes for dessert while they had eclairs and fruit mixed with whipped cream. I hope to get them to watch "Forks over knives" sometime. I want them to change so they can get healthier. I don't want my aunt to suffer another stroke or my mom have to take so much blood pressure medication. At least I can try to succeed and show them a healthier way. Just a few small changes make a big difference.
woods38

Postby woods38 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:51 am

Thank you luvdachiess and Chile for stopping by my journal and encouraging me.

Today I got in 20 mins. of low-impact aerobics. I ate oatmeal with strawberries for breakfast and enjoyed bean enchiladas, broccoli, and mashed potatoes for lunch. I'll have some fruit (a banana) for a snack later. Not sure what's for dinner. Probably rice and a veggie.

I am feeling good today. Yesterday I had a good steady energy going. I had fun visiting with my college daughter and getting a good amount of housework done. I like how my nose is clear, no congestion or running. I have lots of allergies so this is a relief.
I'm feeling great!
woods38

Postby woods38 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:54 am

20 mins. of strength training.

oatmeal with strawberries
shredded wheat with orange juice (my dd was grossed out) LOL
whole wheat spagetti and kale
brown rice with fruit
boiled potato

Busy. Keeping it simple today. Sleeping well, feeling good. Resisting the urge to weigh myself until Oct. I'm just going on how I feel and working on becoming healthier.
woods38

Postby woods38 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:15 pm

So, things are going pretty well. My house is cleaner so I think that I have more energy. I've been keeping busy, I have the energy to do so. I'm following the plan. I resisted the baked chips because they had oil in them, I resisted the pretzels because they were made from white flour. I've made my own corn and potato chips in the microwave. I'm proud of myself. I have been eating one serving of bread or cereal and one serving of dried fruit a day but the rest is whole grains, veg, beans and fresh fruit. The more I eat this way, the more I like it. I like the full feeling I get. I like eating as much as I want to, whenever I want to.

Remembering all the victims and survivors of 9/11 today. Such a sad, senseless tragedy. God Bless.
woods38

Postby f1jim » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:21 pm

The home made chips are addicting and you will find your other non-McDougall friends will enjoy them too! They are one of the go-to snacks around the house. The only downside is they rarely last long. It does my heart good to know I never have to give up chips and salsa. Glad to hear it's getting easier.
Continued good luck!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby woods38 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:29 pm

Thanks f1jim for the well wishes and stopping by.

You're right, my family looks at what I'm eating and wants to try some too! I'm glad that I can show them that healthy eating can be delicious too.
woods38

Postby woods38 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:49 am

I had a lovely walk with my friend this sunny morning. It was perfect weather for a walk. We walked for 30 mins. It was just right for me. I broke a slight sweat but was still able to go home, change and get ready for work on time.
As we were walking we chatted about our lives and of course the subject of weight loss came up. My friend started complaining that she couldn't eat much without gaining weight or halting her losses. She said that you can't be skinny and eat. I sympathized with her but inside I was thinking that yes you can! I told her that I am following the McDougall plan this month. I also told her that I wasn't going to weigh myself until October 1. I hope that I have a good loss and then I can boast about how much I can eat and still lose weight. I need evidence on my side before I try to change her mind.
I don't want my friend to think that she has to go hungry to lose weight!

Food for today:
hot wheat cereal (whole grain wheat)
apple
potatoes with green pepper and onion, roasted
whole wheat pita pocket with lettuce, chickpeas and musturd
2 clementine oranges
barley with broccolli
woods38

Postby woods38 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:16 am

2 solid weeks done being McDougall compliant. No cheating myself this time.

Today:
Oatmeal with berries
Rice with banana
Quinoa with green beans and tomato
woods38

Postby woods38 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Well, I didn't end up losing any weight during September. I will try harder in October not to cheat and also to limit bread, dried fruits and crackers more. I cheated with regular hummus and white flour bagels. I also ate peanut butter towards the end of the month. I start off really strict and then just lose it by the end of the month. Try, try, again to get this right.
woods38

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning