LosingIt's journal

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

LosingIt's journal

Postby LosingIt » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:59 am

Hey! I thought I'd give this a try.

I've been "on plan" for about a week. I don't know the exact day. I had been doing well before but I had an emotional and busy day during which I didn't eat and getting too hungry is THE way to go off plan. I'm ethically vegan but my diet used to include a lot of junk!

Last time I worried about oatmeal because it is slightly higher in fat, and because I only ever ate it with a bunch of agave. One or the other was probably not great. This time I haven't been eating oatmeal at all and I miss it but because of the agave it's a pretty junky food. Maybe one day I'll be able to eat it without so much added sugar and just with fruits.

I've been feeling really good. I've been exercising--started couch to 5k.. again, did Yoga (that's hard work!), and went for a walk a couple times because I FELT like it! My legs were sore, that's a good feeling. I just generally have lots of energy. I wake up in the morning not feeling like a train wreck. In fact, today I woke up after about 7 hours of sleep when I often get 10, sometimes more. I've been struggling with the idea of restricting my sleep. I was depressed (that's lifting!) and have read about wake therapy, but to me it kinda seems like sleep is a bit like appetite. McDougall says appetite is only natural-- like breathing, it is only appropriate for survival. I don't see how sleep is any different. I think my body takes what it needs. I still wanted relief from the depression so I did it a couple of times but mostly I just felt tired. Now the depression is lifting without reducing my sleep (forcefully; it may be reducing on its own). I am happy about that.

I haven't been eating enough vegetables because they're a pain. I'm lazy and I don't like cooking. Right now I'm eating frozen green beans though and they weren't so hard to nuke. I'll buy some more frozen veggies today to increase my intake.

I feel like a normal person, not obsessive about food. I'm satisfied almost all of the time and when I'm not it's easy to reach for something healthy. My "quick" staple has been frozen brown rice with beans or corn (done in 5 minutes), and I've also been having about 10 medium potatoes daily. Mmm, Yukon golds! It's so much better to feel sane about food!

I did get obsessive about weight though. I weighed myself a few days in, in the evening, after a bunch of potatoes and water. I didn't like what I saw. I don't know what it was before I started this time, but when I weighed myself then it was the highest it's ever been. 307.8. (I'm not changing my counter until it goes down!) I was so upset that after a couple days I didn't feel like I'd made any progress. (Even though I was waking up without lower back/organ pain, had more energy, less depression....) In the past this would've led to a "screw it!" moment and a binge, but this time I was simply more determined. I went for a short walk instead.

I guess a lot of factors were at play, but the next day I started the worst menstrual period of my life (TMI? Sorry) and I was down 7 pounds. My scale sucked and I had to weigh myself over and over each time to get a rough estimate because it was seldom the same number. That's where it got obsessive, and not pretty.... Not to mention how horrible it was that my mood depended on the numbers. So I resolved not to weigh myself until January 1 so as to stop the obsession. It was a good resolution, but... It didn't last... I weighed myself 2 days later, when I was down another 3 pounds. Then I threw my scale away! I don't care if I don't know my progress in numbers, my whole life is much better when I don't have a scale around. (We still have the Wii Fit, but that's easier to resist, for now :) ) I just have to focus on eating more vegetables and keeping fit and the numbers will take care of themselves.

So, this is long but it was nice to get it down. I'll try to make it a habit. Thanks for reading! you poor things!
LosingIt

Re: LosingIt's journal

Postby Rosey » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:12 pm

writing down and reading what I have done always helps me out. Welcome and if you need a listening ear there are many on here including me. HUGS!!!
Rosey

Postby LosingIt » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:51 pm

Thank you Rosey, that means a lot. You and I are close in weight! I think writing it out does help.

Today was a boring workday wherein I again didn't eat enough vegetables (even though I bought some last night and took a bag to work, I never ate it), but I got full on less than I planned, so yay! :-D Going to a movie soon then for a walk with my bestie.

One cool thing that happened at work is that I ran just a little bit to find my boss and I wasn't out of breath at all! I think cardio health is gained so quickly, at least when you eat this way and do some intentional cardio! It was very cool.
LosingIt

Postby LosingIt » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:02 pm

Did my C25K today, starting week 2 on Wednesday.

Oooo last night I was out past midnight in a lightning/rainstorm and it was amazing. The things that happen when you decide to go for a walk....

Mixed some frozen turnip greens (+turnips) in with my rice and black eyed peas. Easy, delicious way to get more veggies. Go me! :)

I should watch Fast Food today... I've had it for a couple weeks and haven't watched it. :o
LosingIt

Postby Rosey » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:50 pm

I love my Fast Food DVD. My hubby loves it too.
Rosey

Postby LosingIt » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:15 pm

Kicked my butt on C25K week 2 today, it was awesome. :)

While I still don't want to weigh myself, I'm considering letting my sister track my weight then telling me only if it's working (if I lost 2+ pounds that week) or if I need to make adjustments. It would be good to know and maybe by not knowing the actual numbers I won't freak out about it. I dunno yet.

Had delicious black beans in corn tortillas + lots of lettuce and an apple for breakfast.

Working on still increasing veggies and MORE WATER! In the MWL book it mentions that drinking during/right after eating may make it so you don't feel full as long and I've found that to be true so I've been putting off drinking water after meals. Since I've also been eating often, it's added up to a lot of time and I'm not drinking as much as I should be! :duh:
LosingIt

Postby LosingIt » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:36 pm

More yoga today, lovely. Quite hard! I can feel my muscles working! But now I love exercise. Been doing it almost daily and loving it.

Been drinking more water, just since yesterday, and my skin has noticeably softened. Awesome!

Weighed again... was discouraged again, until I realized I lost 10 pounds in a week. I'm just so weird about it. Really, really gotta stop weighing myself... I'm just compelled!... Always have to have something to obsess about! This is not a very flattering journal at all. :lol:

I made beans yesterday that were more delicious than anything McDougall I've made yet and that turned out to be a problem. I ate past the point of comfort for the first time since starting this diet. They had too much salt and veggie bouillon and were just overall too stimulating. Keeping it simple will keep me from doing that again. Still stayed around 2k calories for the day-- I don't usually keep track, I counted up then to see how "bad" my little overstuff was. I can live with that, it's still SO MUCH better than I'd be doing otherwise. I don't really believe calories are an issue and I don't try to limit them, I just try to eat slowly of fruits, starches and veggies.

Mindset is still [usually] awesome. Woo!
LosingIt

Postby LosingIt » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:52 pm

Not much going on....

Eating a LOT of fruit (my favorite stand finally has peaches! And some yellow plums which I've never had before but have now had tons) which I consider a good thing. I know MWL limits fruits to 2 a day, but I'm coming to McDougall from the direction of 80/10/10 (low fat, high carb, raw vegan). So I'll eat plenty of fruit when I can get it and not feel bad about it. Most of the year I can hardly get edible fruit (I'm very picky about it).

Maybe I should weigh every Monday... get over it, and be able to notice if I need to make changes.

Yesterday I didn't eat enough because I was out most of the day. I get kinda upset apparently. I wasn't upset then but I can still feel it today; my mental space isn't as good as it could be. More proof that the binge/restrict type of eating definitely contributed to (if not caused) my depression and mood swings.

I'm learning a lot!
LosingIt

Postby Nic » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:04 pm

Hi there!
I am on a low fat mostly raw vegan diet (80/10/10 with a medium bowl of brown rice a day). Just wondering how you felt on 80/10/10?
Blessings,
Nicky
Nic

Postby LosingIt » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:42 pm

Nic wrote:Hi there!
I am on a low fat mostly raw vegan diet (80/10/10 with a medium bowl of brown rice a day). Just wondering how you felt on 80/10/10?
Blessings,
Nicky

Hey Nicky :)

For me, it was too much to go completely 80/10/10 right away. I would do it for a few days, occasionally a week or so, before giving up and bingeing on very unhealthy cooked, high-fat vegan foods. I attribute this mainly to not getting enough calories. The main reasons for that are my location (very hard to find great, appetizing fruit in huge quantities for the majority of the year and I DON'T LIKE BANANAS most of the time) and sometimes just the time it'd take me to eat enough fruit or the physical ability to hold it all. I felt great on 811, though I never did it very long to get huge positive effects. For me, "mostly McDougall" is working out better simply because I can stick to it.
Someone on 30BAD (you've been there, I assume?) wrote Dr. McDougall and he even agreed that 811 can be a healthy diet as long as calorie needs are met. That was too much of a challenge for me at this time. I still think it's a great way of eating and would love to do it someday if I find I am able to.
I know there are at least a couple others here that have been 811 in the past who may or may not be disenchanted with the whole thing.
Both McDougall and 811 have me waking up with no lower back (organ) pain, losing weight rapidly, being much better hydrated (with much softer skin!), having TONS more energy throughout the day, and lessened depression (getting more calories on McDougall has helped that more than 811 did-- but more calories there would've helped I'm sure). I definitely believe-- as Dr. Graham said-- that low fat vegan is more important than strictly raw, and cooked LFV is the best dietary choice if raw is not possible.
In short, I love still fruit, and I love potatoes + other starches, and all are loving me pretty well right now so it's working out swimmingly. :-D

In other news, I decided I'll be weighing myself every Monday. I was down 3.5 pounds since Thursday. I know the rate of loss will be slowing, but I think a set time to weigh myself will work out. If it doesn't work out I'll readjust again.
Today was a great day. I really pushed myself while running-- if I felt myself getting slower, I sped up! I actually felt like an athlete for a minute there. :lol: Funny!
LosingIt

Postby carollynne » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:15 pm

You sound like you are doing great!! Don't get discouraged, and never give up either.
YOU will succeed!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby LosingIt » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:05 pm

Thank you, carollynne :) Overall it's been an encouraging few weeks!

I just found out that Ben Davis of BenDoesLife.com is doing a marathon in Salt Lake this April, and I want to be there. 8 months to train, I can do it! As it is I can hardly wait to exercise each day. :) It is kinda scary to think about though!
LosingIt

Postby Rosey » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:57 pm

This way of living has totally changed everything. I eat better I exercise more and I feel so much better. Those all mean more to me then losing the weight but it's helping with losing that too. SMILE. There is a walk here in Portland soon that is 2.5 miles and a run that is 8k. hubby and I are talking about joining it. Me walking and him running.
Rosey

Postby LosingIt » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:56 pm

It really does change everything! Definitely do the walk, Rosey! :-D

Now I'm not so sure I want to do the marathon because it looks like the charity supports animal testing. I will still train for a marathon and do one next year, just not that one! I'll do the free 5k with Ben, though.

I look forward to doing those crazy muddy obstacle races someday. Those look like so much fun. In a couple years I'll do some!

The difference in my moods is just amazing. I'm so happy about that. I'm usually very irritable, especially at work. Now I'm much more relaxed. My self-confidence has improved too. I think these things are a result of both diet and exercise. I saw somewhere that exercise is the best antidepressant known! I believe it. I did week 3 of C25K (Podrunner- http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html is the awesome program I use) today and the running segments seemed SO LONG but I never stopped! I feel so accomplished!
LosingIt

Postby LosingIt » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:05 pm

Hehe, also, grasshoppers are my best running trainers! There are a lot of them where I run/walk and I don't wear my glasses when I work out, so I don't usually see them until I'm very close to them. I'm more afraid of them than I am of spiders, and I don't want to step on them. So every time I nearly run into one, I jump and it perks up my running! :lol:
LosingIt

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning