My Transformation

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: My Transformation

Postby to_our_health » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:51 am

Gramma Jackie wrote: I used to have a car, but when my husband's car broke down last year he started taking mine to work. Since I'm retired he doesn't think I need one.:-(

And what do you think?
to_our_health

Postby Chile » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:56 am

I'm sorry to hear it's a struggle. Are there any local community groups or gardens where you could walk to meet others to socialize? Is riding a bike a possible transportation alternative? There are lots of comfortable bikes and adult trikes available these day for a whole lot less money than another car.

I hope you can find some ways to improve the situation.

How are you doing with the September challenge?
Chile

Postby kittyadventures » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:13 am

I am with Chili, you need a mode of transportation.

And yes you do need a car too... if you live in a big city and there are no nearby busses etc. ask him how he would like to be stuck with out a car always and dependent on you to take him everywhere. (HE would hate it). BEsides that what if there was an emergency and he needed you to come and rescue him? We have had that happen a couple of times both ways hubby rescuing me and me rescuing hubby. You could get a used car if you are tight financially or if you are in a smaller town like me you could easily use a bike.

Anyway this is me saying you need some kind of transportation.

And I hear you on how difficult it is when the hubby wants to keep eating meat.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby Gramma Jackie » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:49 am

to_our_health wrote:
Gramma Jackie wrote: I used to have a car, but when my husband's car broke down last year he started taking mine to work. Since I'm retired he doesn't think I need one.:-(

And what do you think?

It not just a battle of the wills. We just got the one car paid off and hubby doesn't want another car payment right now since he will be retiring in a year or so.
Last edited by Gramma Jackie on Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:54 am

Chile wrote:I'm sorry to hear it's a struggle. Are there any local community groups or gardens where you could walk to meet others to socialize? Is riding a bike a possible transportation alternative? There are lots of comfortable bikes and adult trikes available these day for a whole lot less money than another car.

I hope you can find some ways to improve the situation.

How are you doing with the September challenge?

No bike, nothing within walking distance at all. We are in a subdivision at the ver edge of a large city. It is at least 6 miles to public transportation. We are close to retirement and trying to save as much as possible. I have broached the subject of buying a second car with my husband, but no deal. I understand why, but it is discouraging.

I don't think I can do 100% on the challenge. I sometimes will have a vegan cookie or other stuff and I am back to drinking coffee.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:56 am

kittyadventures wrote:I am with Chili, you need a mode of transportation.

And yes you do need a car too... if you live in a big city and there are no nearby busses etc. ask him how he would like to be stuck with out a car always and dependent on you to take him everywhere. (HE would hate it). BEsides that what if there was an emergency and he needed you to come and rescue him? We have had that happen a couple of times both ways hubby rescuing me and me rescuing hubby. You could get a used car if you are tight financially or if you are in a smaller town like me you could easily use a bike.

Anyway this is me saying you need some kind of transportation.

And I hear you on how difficult it is when the hubby wants to keep eating meat.

My problem is money. We have and underwater mortgage and we want to sell the house and move to Florida where it is cheaper in about a year and a half. So we are trying to pay off debts and get the mortgage down so we can sell the house when my husband retires.
Gramma Jackie

Postby to_our_health » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:29 pm

Okay, the more explanation sounds a little more like you are in this together with a financial goal that you are both working toward but that puts you in a bind right now. So no wonder you are frustrated and struggling! It must be very hard to be so isolated every day and then be cooking all that meat that you want no part of. I think I would go a little nuts! And I like a lot of alone time!

I'm assuming that you've both explored all the options in terms of any other way to get DH to work...anyone else to carpool with...you driving him to public transportation if that's possible, and if so, maybe just some days...etc.

Maybe put up somewhere a big calendar marking the days until his retirement...or some other marker of reaching your goals?

Sorry you're having to go through such a time with food though...I've been lucky to have a DH who did it with me and I count my blessings all the time...
to_our_health

Postby Gramma Jackie » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:22 pm

to_our_health wrote:Okay, the more explanation sounds a little more like you are in this together with a financial goal that you are both working toward but that puts you in a bind right now. So no wonder you are frustrated and struggling! It must be very hard to be so isolated every day and then be cooking all that meat that you want no part of. I think I would go a little nuts! And I like a lot of alone time!

I'm assuming that you've both explored all the options in terms of any other way to get DH to work...anyone else to carpool with...you driving him to public transportation if that's possible, and if so, maybe just some days...etc.

Maybe put up somewhere a big calendar marking the days until his retirement...or some other marker of reaching your goals?

Sorry you're having to go through such a time with food though...I've been lucky to have a DH who did it with me and I count my blessings all the time...

Thanks! The calendar is a good idea. Yes we are centainly in this together--having been married almost 44 years! :) My husband lost his job in Florida 10 years ago. We thought we had it made and then boom--a company layoff. :eek: But he got another job fairy quickly. However it entailed being transferred to another state. I didn't know anyone. I worked for awhile but started having health problems and had to retire (well really just quit as I have no retirement). Over the last 10 years I have been trying to get my health in order. I am hoping that my husband and I will be able to have a nice retirement and be healthy as long as possible. That is why I returned to McDougalling and hope I can set an example for him, but it's difficult.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:22 pm

to_our_health wrote:Okay, the more explanation sounds a little more like you are in this together with a financial goal that you are both working toward but that puts you in a bind right now. So no wonder you are frustrated and struggling! It must be very hard to be so isolated every day and then be cooking all that meat that you want no part of. I think I would go a little nuts! And I like a lot of alone time!

Thanks! The calendar is a good idea. Yes we are centainly in this together--having been married almost 44 years! :) My husband lost his job in Florida 10 years ago. We thought we had it made and then boom--a company layoff. :eek: But he got another job fairy quickly. However it entailed being transferred to another state. I didn't know anyone. I worked for awhile but started having health problems and had to retire (well really just quit as I have no retirement). Over the last 10 years I have been trying to get my health in order. I am hoping that my husband and I will be able to have a nice retirement and be healthy as long as possible. That is why I returned to McDougalling and hope I can set an example for him, but it's difficult.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Beagle » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:43 pm

Gramma Jackie wrote: So I am really struggling. :-(

No advice to give, just lots of good hopes and thoughts.
Beagle

Postby kittyadventures » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:24 am

Okay i understand more now.. and this is me sending suportive thoughts your way. I hope you do find a healthier place while McDougalling and being gluten free. Hang in there you are doing great
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby Gramma Jackie » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:42 am

Thanks everyone for the tips and encouragment. :)
Gramma Jackie

Postby Katydid » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:58 am

I would still recommend getting a used bike from the local paper, Craigs List or a neighbor's yard sale. Bikes are so much fun. :D I'm 55 and have just gotten back into biking after 40 years and am loving it. Our area is actively building a biking system that spans several counties and it's great. You can get out of the house and get some air and exercise. You'll work different muscles than walking and burn a ton of calories. Six miles to a bus stop is nothing on a bike. And many bus systems now have bike carriers on their bumpers or storage areas inside the bus. I have a friend at work who lives 30 miles away and rides his bus to the bus stop and then the bus to work every day rather than drive so his stay at home wife can have the car for his new baby. What a guy!
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby Gramma Jackie » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:16 pm

I can't believe how good I was this weekend. Hubby bought a new grill this summer and has been wanting to use it every chance he can get. I sort of dreaded it, but I managed to get throught the holiday weekend OK. Saturday was hot hot hot. So we waited until sunset to grill. He grilled chicken and corn on the cob and I made potato salad. So I ate the corn and potatoes. I told him that from now on he had to pick out his own meat as I wasn't going to anymore, so he picked out a ham slice and had that on Sunday. I made sweet potatoes and fruit salad. Then yesterday he wanted to take a break and go out out eat as he had taken work home and was working all weekend (he's a computer programmer). He wanted to go get a hamburger, but was nice enough to ask me where I wanted to go. About the only place would be Wendy's for their baked potato and salad and I was getting tired of that routine, so I suggested Hometown Buffet which we have here in the Midwest. We were one of the first ones there for lunch and got the weekday special for 2 which was only a total of $12.00 (including drinks) for the both of us. Hometown Buffet is like heaven and I was an angel because I ate a tossed salad with garbanzos on it, a sweet potato, a baked potato, carrots and rice. I think I got my money's worth. I was so full I skipped supper that night. I feel so good about staying on (MWL) plan.
Gramma Jackie

Postby to_our_health » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:50 pm

Gramma Jackie wrote:I can't believe how good I was this weekend. Hubby bought a new grill this summer and has been wanting to use it every chance he can get. I sort of dreaded it, but I managed to get throught the holiday weekend OK. Saturday was hot hot hot. So we waited until sunset to grill. He grilled chicken and corn on the cob and I made potato salad. So I ate the corn and potatoes. I told him that from now on he had to pick out his own meat as I wasn't going to anymore, so he picked out a ham slice and had that on Sunday. I made sweet potatoes and fruit salad. Then yesterday he wanted to take a break and go out out eat as he had taken work home and was working all weekend (he's a computer programmer). He wanted to go get a hamburger, but was nice enough to ask me where I wanted to go. About the only place would be Wendy's for their baked potato and salad and I was getting tired of that routine, so I suggested Hometown Buffet which we have here in the Midwest. We were one of the first ones there for lunch and got the weekday special for 2 which was only a total of $12.00 (including drinks) for the both of us. Hometown Buffet is like heaven and I was an angel because I ate a tossed salad with garbanzos on it, a sweet potato, a baked potato, carrots and rice. I think I got my money's worth. I was so full I skipped supper that night. I feel so good about staying on (MWL) plan.

Yay! You go Jackie! Doesn't it feel great? At our family potluck on Sunday I had bites of things with too much oil and a tiny bit of my Mom's potato salad that had mayo but other than that I ate my good food. But my insides were a bit unhappy with just those tiny bits so that was interesting for me to learn! Back to my good stuff since.
to_our_health

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals