Rosey - 2011 Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Rosey - 2011 Journal

Postby WeeSpeck » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:31 am

HI Rosey,

Like Jim, I drink sparkling water to quench my thirst. I love the bubbles and for some reason it hits the spot better than plain water. You could always float some fruit or vegetables in it to cut through the bitterness you percieve and infuse it with some flavors you might enjoy.

Like everything on this path, your tastebuds will adjust. You will find new cravings and the old habits will fade away.

Keep at it! You're doing good.
--\--@ Nancy @--/--

I am but a wee speck in the big picture of the universe.
WeeSpeck

Postby Rosey » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:25 pm

I will have to try the adding fruit to it that might help. Didn't do to bad this week was 305lbs a week ago and was 301.2lbs this morning 3.8lb loss. though probably would of been better if I had left the sodas alone did drink less of them though.
Rosey

Postby Rosey » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:25 pm

I am terrible at journaling every day. used to do much better at it then I have been since we bought our house. Seems there is always something to do owning instead of renting.

Food wise doing pretty good drink wise I'm still struggling to get soda back out. Got to learn to say no when it's offered to me.
Rosey

Postby Rosey » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:47 am

Weight is bouncing between 299lbs and 305lbs I know it's that I keep letting soda back in. When I leave it a lone I do fine but then I let it back in because I start getting a migraine from the no caffiene. Any suggestions on getting past caffiene withdrawal without a migraine?? Ginger seems to help some so does celery but not enough.
Rosey

Postby f1jim » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:45 am

Caffeine withdrawl is known to cause headaches. The answer is to slowly reduce consumption as your body adjusts.
It's time to get off those sodas for good but they won't keep you at 300lbs even drinking them regularly. Time to evaluate the entire diet top to bottom.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby victw » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:21 am

f1jim wrote:Time to evaluate the entire diet top to bottom.
f1jim

I think Jim is right - start logging your food for seven days. Be honest. And pick just one thing to change at a time.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby Rosey » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:08 pm

f1jim wrote:Caffeine withdrawl is known to cause headaches. The answer is to slowly reduce consumption as your body adjusts.
It's time to get off those sodas for good but they won't keep you at 300lbs even drinking them regularly. Time to evaluate the entire diet top to bottom.
f1jim

Oh I know it's not all of it but it is a big concern. Hubby talking me into eating out definitely is a huge problem even eating vegan/plant based it still has oil everywhere. Though we did find a GF pasta place that has oil free pasta made from chickpeas so been trying to get him to go there instead of other places.
Rosey

Postby f1jim » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:21 pm

When trying to lose weight I would focus on eating at home and make potatoes, rice, and other starches the center of your attention. With that focus you should start losing immediately. Pasta is generally high on the caloric density scale. Rarely whole grain, and usually lot's of oil in the sauce. Eating out is a minefield, even with a careful eye.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Rosey » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:25 pm

f1jim wrote:When trying to lose weight I would focus on eating at home and make potatoes, rice, and other starches the center of your attention. With that focus you should start losing immediately. Pasta is generally high on the caloric density scale. Rarely whole grain, and usually lot's of oil in the sauce. Eating out is a minefield, even with a careful eye.
f1jim

Your probably right on the pasta since it is processed chickpeas. as for the oil in the sauce this place has everything listed on the sauces and some of them do not have oil. I do realize eating out is a minefield. How do you work around spouse and friends that want to go out to eat with you?
Rosey

Postby f1jim » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:15 pm

You MUST consider your own health first. Having someone with major chronic disease later is no good to anyone, especially a spouse. If that isn't important enough than keep struggling the rest of your life. If it is it's time to make it happen.
Good luck
f1jim
f1jim

Postby victw » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:40 pm

Rosey wrote:How do you work around spouse and friends that want to go out to eat with you?
[/quote]

Rosey, I'm not Jim. But I do eat out regularly. Usually at least once a week with coworkers. And once a week with my husband.

I do one of two things. I plan ahead or I don't worry about it - it's a splurge.

My coworkers like to go to the same restaurants alot. And they even go to some of the same restaurants the same day of the week - on Tuesdays it's Chinese. This is a good fit for me because their current favorite is not heavy on the oil I can order mixed vegetables with kung pao sauce and peanuts. Soup and salad is served with this. I figure I get at least two servings of veggies with this meal. I get some other stuff too - but I don't freak about it.

For some of the other places they like to go to I have a maximum of three things on each menu that I will eat. I have this in a google doc. Lots of times I don't even look at the menu - I know what I will have ahead of time.

This is not perfect - sure I get too much sugar oil and salt.

I do have some limits - no sugary drinks. No fried foods. I'm not a meat eater - so this is not a temptation for me.

Do your friends and family eat out every day??? How often do you eat out??? How often do you know the restaurant ahead of time? Have you read the McDougall information on eating out?

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby f00die » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:46 pm

Rosey wrote:How do you work around spouse and friends that want to go out to eat with you?

you take a responsible, mature attitude:
guys, i have a strict diet i have to stick to for my health,
so i ate at home
coz its just too much of a hassle/no fun trying to get a restaurant to make food right
so here i am, but ill be drinking water
maybe eat a side dish
how's everyone else doing?
etc.

if eating out is a group celebration of calorie bombing ourselves
of course this wont work.
just gotta let go of eating flavors for fun.
f00die

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:34 am

Hi there Rosey! Glad to see you back!

Our stories are very similar, in that I lost a lot of weight then went off course and gained a lot of weight back, thanks to several factors, one of which was eating out more with my sweetie. So, having got back up into the obese category, I was frustrated and frankly disgusted with myself and decided about mid-January that I simply MUST get back on track.

You can see my (pretty sketchy and slow) progress in the Menus What I am Eating forum where I set up a calendar with a color scheme. It has helped SO MUCH, even though it took me a couple of months to shape up. It's very motivating to see many "green days" lining up, and I couldn't have gotten to that place without logging everything in one spot where I could see it at a glance.

As for eating out, that was an issue at first, for sure. But at home, I was quite strict overall, and eventually got to where I was choosing only compliant foods. The other night out with my siblings, we ate at the best Mexican restaurant in town, and I had food that I know had been prepared with oil, but because I had many compliant days behind me....well, I didn't worry too much and got back to 100% right away.

all this to say: Give yourself some time to re-adjust, and DO log all your food and drink. Your body will start responding in other ways (besides weight loss) to the wholesome foods, and you'll WANT to stay away from the bad stuff.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Rosey » Thu May 03, 2018 4:29 pm

Thank you everyone. Helps having feed back again. Hubby and I had a talk about it the going out stuff and he agreed to quit asking me to more then once a month. He also helped me put together some raised garden beds at our place we bought in December so I will be growing veggies and greens and have some fruit trees etc.... Going to have a lot more raised beds then we already set up but it's a start will have 2 more on Friday.
Rosey

Postby Rosey » Thu May 03, 2018 6:40 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:Hi there Rosey! Glad to see you back!

Our stories are very similar, in that I lost a lot of weight then went off course and gained a lot of weight back, thanks to several factors, one of which was eating out more with my sweetie. So, having got back up into the obese category, I was frustrated and frankly disgusted with myself and decided about mid-January that I simply MUST get back on track.

You can see my (pretty sketchy and slow) progress in the Menus What I am Eating forum where I set up a calendar with a color scheme. It has helped SO MUCH, even though it took me a couple of months to shape up. It's very motivating to see many "green days" lining up, and I couldn't have gotten to that place without logging everything in one spot where I could see it at a glance.

As for eating out, that was an issue at first, for sure. But at home, I was quite strict overall, and eventually got to where I was choosing only compliant foods. The other night out with my siblings, we ate at the best Mexican restaurant in town, and I had food that I know had been prepared with oil, but because I had many compliant days behind me....well, I didn't worry too much and got back to 100% right away.

all this to say: Give yourself some time to re-adjust, and DO log all your food and drink. Your body will start responding in other ways (besides weight loss) to the wholesome foods, and you'll WANT to stay away from the bad stuff.

I remember you from when I was losing the big amount before. I so know I can do this.
Rosey

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals