Yomom's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Yomom's Journal

Postby Yomom » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:22 am

The time between Halloween and New Year's Day has always been a treat-and-feast minefield for me. I want to use this journal to hold myself accountable for both food choices and exercise through this period. My frequent reading of the McDougall forums helps me stay on track, and has shown me that journalling is a powerful tool to help people achieve weight loss and improved health.

My first challenge is to successfully navigate Halloween. First off, I don't plan to buy any treats until the day of the 31st, and whatever I decide to give out has to be something that I won't - won't - be tempted by. Then, before the trick-or-treaters arrive, I plan to eat 2 bowls of McD soup. The third key element is knowing that I will be reporting on how it went, the next day in this journal.
The little train is leaving the station...I think I can, I know I can...
Last edited by Yomom on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yomom

love your plan!!

Postby fitby40 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:33 am

Boy, that sounds like a rock-solid plan to me!!!! I think I may just adopt it for my own, so thanks for sharing!

We are the same height, but you are a little farther on your journey. I hope it motivates you to know I find your successes inspirational for my own plight.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wHQ1Eeq/]
[/url]
fitby40

Postby toadfood » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:41 am

Sounds like you've got a great plan for Halloween. Welcome to the journal forum!

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Good Luck!

Postby Tina » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:04 pm

Sounds like you have an awesome plan and are ready to take on the holidays! Good job being proactive; you are very prepared for success. Good luck; I'm rooting for you! :)
"Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." Albert Einstein
Tina

Postby Letha.. » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:00 pm

Hi Yomom,
Nice to meet you. Sounds like a most excellent Halloween plan. :)
Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Thanks for welcome

Postby Yomom » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:39 am

Fitby40, Toadfood, Tina and Letha, thanks for the welcome and encouragement.

Yesterday I had my usual morning oatmeal with fruit, then finished off the remainder of "Cauliflower & Potato Curry" (from Esselsyn's book) for lunch & dinner, with a green salad snack @ 4pm. Exercise - walked for 40 minutes.

On the Halloween front, I asked my 17 yr old to hand out the candy next Saturday night (for wages!) and he agreed. This frees me to get out of the house, thus further decreasing temptation. I am really hoping that by setting the stage for a different result, that's what I'll get.

My goal for today is to walk for at least one hour.
Yomom

How is this for an idea?

Postby f1jim » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:38 am

If candy is a trigger get a pack of cigarettes and tape a candy bar you like to the pack. Carry it around with you everywhere. Get the association in your head between the toxic candy and cigarettes. It might help getting your brain to make the connection between junk candy and illness. Then when the connection is made you can then walk through the minefield of candy and sweets without seeing them as good eats.
I guess my brain might be working overtime. Perhaps a nap might help!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Toxic candy

Postby Yomom » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:20 pm

F1jim - LOL good idea about associating toxicity of ciggies with that of candy! Intellectually I know it, but my problem has been more one of proximity to Halloween candy. And then the big slide begins, from Halloween all the way to New Year's Day. Thanks so much for your suggestion.
K
Yomom

Lettuce at restaurant prices

Postby Yomom » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:11 am

I had a mixed day yesterday. Breakfast oatmeal, then my favorite "three greens" soup for lunch, and a one-hour walk (albeit at a mall). Dinner out with DH started well (salad, no dressing -- at restaurant prices, yelp!), but then I had wine along with veggie pasta, and later coffee (to stay awake). By now I was sliding down that slippery slope, to where I polished off the restaurant leftovers before bedtime, and then couldn't sleep from unaccustomed late caffeine. Yikes I know a lot went wrong here.
Had parent/teacher conferences yesterday too. Twenty-five% of student body is ill and nobody was shaking hands. Lots of waving and bowing going on, and some men were bumping elbows. I hope everybody out there is McDougall-land is staying fairly healthy.
K
Yomom

Postby Tina » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:09 pm

I know, doesn't it make you crazy to pay for a restaurant dinner and end up with a plate of lettuce? It sounds like you've been doing really well; keep up the good work and don't worry about the slip-up! :-D
"Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." Albert Einstein
Tina

Not only the price...

Postby f1jim » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:02 pm

But the salad was probably poor too! Usually a hunk of tasteless iceberg plopped on your plate. If it's a great salad I don't mind paying the price. Right now I'm thinking of the papaya-mango salad at the Rainbow Island restaurant near me. Makes me salivate! I'd pay a good price for that anytime.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Potato slicer injury

Postby Yomom » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:23 pm

Well my new mandolin slicer took off a chunk of my thumb - whoops - but the oven-baked potatoes for breakfast were good. Soup once again for my lunch & dinner (3 Greens Ribolita from Newsletter). I had a good long walk with the dogs and then cooked SAD food (albeit low fat w/ lots of veggies) for rest of family, all of whom are suffering from colds (?).
K
Yomom

Yomom

Postby f1jim » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:38 pm

How many times are we going to have to tell you NO ANIMAL PROTEIN!!!!
Especially your own.
Sorry to hear about your missing chunk.
f1jim
f1jim

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:29 am

mmm, tell us about that three green soup. I love "blended salad" and would like to know the recipe for your soup.

sorry to hear about you chunking your thumb. Mandolin slicers are DANGEROUS. someone on Hell's Kitchen sliced himself this season a few episodes ago.

be careful! and keep doing what you're doing. I'm glad you'll be able to be gone for Hallowe'en. My kids will be at their dad's, handing out candy. I plan on turning off the porch light and watching a movie.

you're doing great! :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Sick kids

Postby Yomom » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:21 am

Yesterday my focus was all on sick kids. Our 17 yr old was home from school with a cold ? and fever. I gave him homemade veg broth. Our other son is very sick with H1N1 on the east coast, living alone and scared he will lose his job while he misses work. I am anxious about him.

McDougall-wise yesterday was mixed. I was out with gal pals for lunch where I held it to water+soup+salad. In the evening I suffered a trangression involving a brown unsalted rice cake and 1T peanut butter. I managed lots of walking and was feeling like the energizer bunny, chugging up hills on knees that don't ache!

Thanks f1jim and Heidi for your notes. Yes, the one unanticipated side effect of this healthy vegan lifestyle for me is sliced fingers from cutting up many more veggies than ever before. But the movie Julie & Julia inspired me, this summer, to become more active in the kitchen, to spend more time cooking and less time eating.

My doctor's office called to say that I am really low in Vitamin D and should take supplements. I read Dr. McDougall's newsletter article about this and am still puzzled. Granted I live in Canada but I still have a tan from the summer. I need to try to understand this.
Yomom

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals