Start date 07/03/09 - mrfpratt's journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Start date 07/03/09 - mrfpratt's journal

Postby mrfpratt » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:40 pm

I have had high blood pressure for 4 years and am 65 pounds overweight - which shocks me as I am very active. Even while on one bp med my pressure kept going up - so the dr added lisinopril in May. I went back to get my pressure checked and even on 2 meds it was 155/102. I couldn't believe it. He wanted to double the dose at that time but I was sick with a bad cough so he decided to wait a few weeks. Well those weeks passed and my cough worsened to the point I was up all night and was gagging AND throwing up!! I was miserable - I went in to the doc and it was a side effect of the lisinopril!!! The bp med was making me sick. He took me off that and ran blood work. Those number came back chol 300! and tri 225! They were all normal 4 years ago.
That day I started the mcdougal program and I am so excited
Since 07/03/09 I have lost 13 pounds!! That is only 20 days! I also had my bp checked - I am on only 1 med and it was 122/88. Before I started this plan even 2 meds wasn't controlling my pressure.
I feel so happy with my progress!!
mrfpratt

Postby Letha. » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:52 pm

Welcome Mrfpratt to the journal forum. You are off to a great start. I look forward to hearing more about your journey. :)
Letha
Letha.

Postby mrfpratt » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:57 pm

Thanks!! You have done tremedously Congrats to you!! Any secrets to success from a pro to a beginner?
mrfpratt

Postby Letha. » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:16 pm

mrfpratt wrote:Thanks!! You have done tremedously Congrats to you!! Any secrets to success from a pro to a beginner?

Thanks for the congrats. :)
As for success tips, I’d say plan ahead & check out the recipes on my blog. http://mwlfood.wordpress.com/
Letha
Letha.

Postby Talyae » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:54 pm

Welcome and congrats on your success so far! :)
Talyae

Amazing, eh?

Postby seestorcoo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:21 pm

How fast this program affect BP.

Welcome! You will find support, humor, pathos, recipes, and more support here. Sometimes people will be irritable (ignore that) and sometimes they will be delighted (witness your own entry). It's like our own little vegie world here.

Sounds like you are off to a great start! I bet it will be no time until you are off all those BP meds.

Happy day!
If you are going to doubt something, doubt your limits.
seestorcoo

Postby sksamboots » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:40 pm

Congrats on the weight loss, glad your here :)
sksamboots

Postby mrfpratt » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:14 pm

These week has been my challenge. I have been very lucky to have a busy social agenda - it is either feast or famine with me. So this has been my week. I went out to dinner with friends friday then to the beach and dinner out. Last night my husband and i went out with his boss and this weekend I am heading to the cape for a few days with friends. It is nearly impossible to have vegan meals while eating out so I am still careful and having as simple a meal as possible chicken breast or fish a plain salad (no dressing) and veggies - there of course is wine involved!! I have lost 2 more pounds which is good but I know I am retaining fluid from the wine. I am happy while I was walking the dog today I felt ready to do some running and actually ran comfortably for a bit. I am going to incorporate more every day. I used to run 7 miles a day back in the old days and I remember that feeling of exhaustion when I was done and totally happy.
mrfpratt

Postby sksamboots » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:30 pm

congrats on the 2 pounds :)
sksamboots

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:46 am

mrfpratt wrote:These week has been my challenge. I have been very lucky to have a busy social agenda - it is either feast or famine with me. So this has been my week. I went out to dinner with friends friday then to the beach and dinner out. Last night my husband and i went out with his boss and this weekend I am heading to the cape for a few days with friends. It is nearly impossible to have vegan meals while eating out so I am still careful and having as simple a meal as possible chicken breast or fish a plain salad (no dressing) and veggies - there of course is wine involved!! I have lost 2 more pounds which is good but I know I am retaining fluid from the wine. I am happy while I was walking the dog today I felt ready to do some running and actually ran comfortably for a bit. I am going to incorporate more every day. I used to run 7 miles a day back in the old days and I remember that feeling of exhaustion when I was done and totally happy.

Congratulations to you on those released pounds in spite of all the socializing you've done this week.

If you look around the forums enough, you will find tons of advice here on how to handle eating in restaurants. It is normally possible to fill up quite nicely on baked potatoes and such, plus big garden salads topped with vinegar and Ms. Dash or similar non-salt seasoning.

I'm certainly not trying to bust your bubble with my advice. I'm merely trying to assist. The main thing is, never hesitate to post here with news; and especially don't hesitate with any questions or need for advice.

I wish you the continued best of luck on your journey. :-D
Ege Bamyasi

Postby Letha. » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:19 pm

Hi Mrfpratt,
Congratulations on the 2 pounds lost. I agree with Kirk that that eating in restaurants in a very common discussion here and there is lots of good advice from folks who do it successfully. Do a search for the word restaurant on the forum. Best wishes.
Letha
Letha.

Postby mrfpratt » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:59 am

I got 3 books from the library. maximum weight loss, the mcdougal program for woman and the mcdougall heart book. They are so Eye opening. I can't believe so many diseases and discomforts are so easily avoided by diet alone! My husband is starting to get on board - he is seeing the changes - he also has high bp and chol big surprise. Last night we had corn on the cob, sweet potato and fresh toms and cukes. He was perfectly happy with that! I am going to research menus that he would be happy with.
I have lost 18 pounds in 38 days!!
mrfpratt

Postby sksamboots » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:54 am

Congrats on the 18 pounds--just amazing :-D
sksamboots

Postby mrfpratt » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:14 am

I did a physical inventory today as I took Maizy May for a walk - I have had so many discomforts and complaints - that I just noticed I don't have anymore
hip pain is gone
shin pain when I walked - had to walk on grass or tar for long walks
achy breast tissue
heal pain when I first wake up - All this is gone!!

Also one of my daughters and I were outside the other day in the backyard and she was doing handstands and cartwheels ( I did gymnastics for years) I used to love to do them. I actually did cartwheels for the first time in more than a decade!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't tell you how much courage it took to do it for the first time I didn't know if my arms would collapse or I would hurt myself - but it felt so great!! I did a couple of really nice ones - not bad for a 48 year old!!
mrfpratt

Postby Letha. » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:24 am

Happy Dance, Happy Dance!!!!

What a wonderful report on the effects of good diet.

Thank you so much for sharing. :-D
Letha
Letha.

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals