Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:42 am

Last edited by Ege Bamyasi on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ege Bamyasi

Postby Talyae » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:19 am

Welcome! And congrats on your success so far.
Talyae

Welcome!

Postby Di » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:36 am

Thank you for sharing your story. Good luck with your journey...you CAN do this!
Di

Postby Bunnylover » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:58 am

Hey Kirk!

Welcome to the forum. So I had to look up the band CAN on Wikipedia and I saw that the Ege Bamyasi album cover has okra pictured on it. What a cool username for a McDougaller! I don't know the band but I would probably like them. I was exposed to prog rock as a young teen by my stepdad who was a musician. He loved Yes, ELP, the Moody Blues, early Genesis, Jethro Tull, and the like. In fact the first concert I ever went to was a Jethro Tull show in the early 80s when I was 13. I am the same age as you -- turning 40 this year. Isn't that the age when they say "life begins"? I hope that will hold true for you, and I believe that if you stick with this program, it will.

I loved reading your story and was deeply touched by it. You write beautifully and from the heart. I look forward to following your journey to health.

By the way, I have primary lymphedema in my left leg, which is completely under control now thanks to McDougalling. The things that I believe have helped it are getting to a healthier weight, getting some exercise to stimulate lymphatic flow, and eating a low fat, low protein diet. I understand from your post that your lymphedema has multiple causes and is at a more advanced stage than mine was (I started McDougalling in 2003 soon after the onset of my lymphedema, and it never got beyond stage 1, but it still scared me to see how it can progress). So I will be sending good vibes your way for continued healing and better circulation. Your toesies are definitely worth saving!

I also hope that you see an improvement in your shoulder and arm pain. That sounds horribly difficult to live with. Many here have found relief from chronic pain and inflammation when they adopted this diet, so I think you have every reason to be optimistic.

Reading between the lines, it sounds to me (and forgive me if this is an incorrect assumption) that you may have some emotional issues connected to food. I have come from that place myself and still struggle with emotional eating at times. In my experience it is sooooo much easier to stay on track when you aren't still clinging to the vegan junk food. I know all too well how hard it is to give up your comfort food and treats, but truly, if you can avoid them for long enough to get out of the habit of buying and eating them, it does get easier. These days if I binge, it is on popcorn and fruit. I look forward to the day when I don't get the urge to binge at all. I am sure it will come in time.

Anyway Kirk, I just wanted to let you know that I am here to cheer you on. Take care.
Bunnylover

Postby dlb » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:46 am

Hey Kirk -

Welcome. While I am looking forward to hearing more of your story, I have a few questions for you. What are you looking for in terms of support from us? Can you tell us do you like to be pushed or just gently nugged along? Do you think someone suggesting something once is enough or do you do better with persistance? If you have ever seen the Biggest Loser - who do you think you would do better with as a trainer, Jim or Jillian? Anything you tell us along those terms would be good.

I'm glad to have you with us. This is a great place to be. You might have noticed that we may have different opinions or argue now and then but to me that just family life. And I do view being here as being with my McDougall family.

Looking forward to you posting again and getting to know you better.

Donna
dlb

Postby Melinda » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:55 am

Welcome Kirk! Good to hear your story! You will find different viewpoints here on some things, but you will achieve the best results if you follow this way of eating as closely as you can. Yes, Letha is an amazing inspiration on this board, as well as many others. All the best to you!
Melinda

Postby Shackwacky » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:18 pm

Hi and welcome to you Kirk. Looking forward to hearing more from you as the successes pile up and your health returns.

:)
Shackwacky

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:26 pm

Last edited by Ege Bamyasi on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ege Bamyasi

Re: Welcome!

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:28 pm

Last edited by Ege Bamyasi on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ege Bamyasi

Postby Talyae » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:29 pm

Ege Bamyasi wrote:
Talyae wrote:Welcome! And congrats on your success so far.

Thank you!

Just to be clear: I'm down from a lifetime high of 519, but that is something from 18 months ago.

I reckon success is success. You haven't been carrying around that extra bit for 18 months! :D
Talyae

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:01 pm

Ege Bamyasi

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:35 pm

Last edited by Ege Bamyasi on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ege Bamyasi

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:42 pm

Last edited by Ege Bamyasi on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ege Bamyasi

Postby Ege Bamyasi » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:16 pm

Ege Bamyasi

Postby nomikins » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:36 am

You're a handsome fella, and I mean it! Looking forward to seeing you become more handsome and HEALTHIER looking. Not to mention how great you are going to feel. I'm really glad you're here with us.

My hubby LOVES prog rock. There is a big progfest here in NC each Labor Day weekend. I went with him one year. Happy The Man was the headliner. There was another group from Germany, Kraan. This year's progfest will have Ozric Tentacles. I'm not a big prog music fan, but I can tolerate it, out of love for the hubby.

I'm a big old proud liberal myself. Namaste.
nomikins

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals