Geo - 2017

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Geo - 2017

Postby geo » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:51 pm

@sirdle - ok i think I found the study. Read this pdf: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... qcrhHcoCBg
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby sirdle » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:19 pm

Very much appreciated! Thanks. :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby geo » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:27 pm

Day 16

Food:
1. 12;15PM - 7 grain hot cereal with blueberries.
2. 4:10 pm - baked potato with stirfry vegs and salsa and pico de gallo
3. 8:00pm - baked sweet potato and raw begs

Variety: tubers 2, grains 7, fruits 1, vegs 11, legumes 0, herbs/spices 21. Total - 42

Exercise:
Started new resistance routine, barbell/dumbells doing multi-joint/compound exercise to failure. Followed this with a single round of Tabatta's on my bicycle.

Movement:
NEAT and stand/walk 5 mins per 30

Stress Relief/Meditation:
10 mins mindfulness meditation and contemplation on daily STOIC qoute

Sleep:
3.5 + 3 hours. Still having split sleep issues. Really tired today and getting sore so hopefully I'll have better sleep.

Reading:
Fasting and Eating for Health

Health Tips:
1. Avoid hospitals if at all possible. We may have the best modern medicine and hospitals, but being in a hospital is one of the top 10 causes of death...and its not because your sick either. infections, poor hygeine, wrong drugs, wrong procedures, surgical mistakes, faulty equipment, poor records and sometimes incompetance are not so uncommon as they should be. To best protect yourself, follow Dr McDougall's program to avoid unnecessary hospital stays. Here are some other things you can do to protect yourself in case you do go to a hospital:

1. http://www.ahrq.gov/consumer and get the phamphlet: "20 tips to help prevent medical errors"
2. http://www.guideline.gov for current treatment guidelines for your issue to make sure they are doing the right thing.
3. http://www.surgicalinfectionprevention.org to learn how to prevent hospital borne infections

General comments:
Not much else to say today. A little muscular soreness which I'm sure will increase for several days to a week before getting better...DOMS from starting a new routine. Oh well feeling tired...
geo

geo

Postby geo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:47 pm

Day 17

Food:
1. 12:30pm - baked potato and sweet potato
2. 4:00pm - corn and stirdry vegs with salsa
3. 7:15PM - 7 grain hot cereal

Variety: tubers 2, vegs 10, grains 7, legumes 0, fruits 0, herbs/spices 21. Total - 40

Exercise:
none, rest day - though definitely sore all over, DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) at its best.

Movement:
NEAT and stand/walk 5 mins per 30

10 mins mindfulness and thinking about latest STOIC qoute

Sleep:
8.5 hours. Slept really well

Reading:

Health Tips:
1. Meditate or just calmly focus your mind on the present. Doesn't matter how you do it, be it focusing on your breath, or a candle flame, or your navel. The point is to remove all distractions from your mind and just not think about anything so to speak. Relax and reduce the stress in your life for a short period of time. It can help lower BP, cholesterol, stress, pain levels, etc. And even as little as 5-10 mins a day can be of help. It can be done lying down, sitting, or even standing and walking and their are even techniques to meditate while exercising!
And it can be done anytime you want. Longer sessions of 15-30 mins seem to work very well, but its more important to just do it than worry about the time. JeffN has some meditation practice tips in his foum that are brief, simple and excellent. www.how-to-meditate.org also is a good website for types and styles of meditation. I also personally like the writings of Dr Herbert Benson (The Relation Response) and his latest book, "Relaxation Revolution".

General Comments:
Relaxing today and trying to keep the muscle soreness from hurting too much lol. My big tank is finally coming along. The bacteria and frowing and nitrite levels dropping. Now if I can only get this new tank heater to regulate itself. Its being way to fussy and may not be working properly...may need to get yet another one of better quality...sigh.
geo

geo

Postby geo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:20 pm

Day 18

Food:
1. 2-35pm - baked potato and sweet potato, stirfry vegs with salsa
2. 18:15pm - 7 grain hot cereal and oatmeal with mixed berries

Variety: tubers 2, grains 7, fruits 4, veg 10, legumes 0, herbs/spices 21. Total - 44
Was not hungry at all most of the day. I felt I was forcing myself to eat those two simple meals today. I believe my exercise combined with muscle soreness is keeping my apetite down.

Exercise:
Weightlifting - compound exercises taken to failure, i.e., generally the Big 5 compound/multi-jint movements for one set, taken to failure and eccentrically emphasised.
Cycling Tabata's - one round - for those that care one round for me is 8 x (20 sec full on/10 sec cool down cycle. i.e., 8 x 30 sec cycles of 100% effort)

Movement:
Usual NEAT and standing/walking 5 mins every 30

10 mins mindfulness and thinking on STOIC quote of day

Sleep:
about 6 hrs, but not as restful as I had hoped.

Reading:
Fast and Eating for Health

Health Tip:
1. Latest news is that it does appear that CR works in Rhesus monkeys afterall. Thus confirming that CR extents life in higher primates which means it will probably also work in humans as well. Thats a good sign. Read this is Jeff's forum: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=31617
2. Probably the best way to practice CRON is simply to follow the MWL combinesd with Jeff's principles, guidelines and recommendations. Simple, efficient and very effective :-) Again, lots moe can be found in Jeff's forum...

General Comments:
Seemed like a long day today. Tired a good prtion of the day and loss of hunger. A typical effect I've experienced before when starting an exercise program...tiredness and lack of appetite. Of course still have lots of DOMS. Past experiences say give it a week to 10 days and it all magically goes away. Should add in some stretching as well as that can help the soreness.

On the aquarium front things are improving rapidly. Still haveing some heater issues with temp stability. I may just buy me a better heater rather than continuing to fight a $10 special...live and learn, sigh... In a week or so I'll probably be adding a few plants in and some rock sculptures as well.
geo

geo

Postby Asia » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:12 am

Nice links about hospital safety. Had surgery yesterday at a medical center that was set up like a hospital, but much smaller. My mom wanted me at a hospital, but coming in contact with a lot of sick germs is something I'd rather not do.
Asia

Postby geo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:57 pm

Day 19

Food:
1. 11:40AM - baked potato and sweet potato
2. 3:30pm - baked potato and stirfry vegs with salsa
3. 7:00pm - raw vegs

Variety: tubers 2, veg 10, grains 0, legumes 0, fruits 0, herbs/spices 21. Total - 33

Exercise:
none- off day. DOMS still present

Movement:
NEAT and standing/walking every 5 mins of 30.

Stress Releif/Meditation:
10 mins mindfulness and thinking about STOIC qoute of day

Sleep:
6 hrs, felt good but tired early.

Reading:

Health Tips:
1. None today. Just chill out, relax, snuggle with your loved one, play with your kids, put your feet up, watch a movie with your family, have a cup of your favorite herbal tea, or take a walk around the block...and I'll do the same :-)

General Comments:
Slow day today. Did a bit of work on my big tank as I was feeling lazy and eureka, my nitrite levels are finally down to 0, as are my amonia and nitrates. So my tank has finally finished its nitrogen cycle and the fish are out of danger...I just hope there was no permanent damage. So now its time to aquascape and plant and finish this up...its been a long month+ of battle, by I win :-) (well really my fish win)
geo

geo

Postby geo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:14 pm

Day 20

Food:
1. 12:40AM - baked potato and sweet potato
2. 6:30pm - Corn and stirfry vegs with salsa

Variety: tubers 2, veg 15, grains 0, legumes 0, fruits 0, herbs/spices 21. Total - 38
Ate a lot of different vegs today, but wasn't hungry most of the day and didn't really eat all that much.

Exercise:
Weightlifting routine - compound movements to failure. DOMS lessing
Cycling Tabata's - one cycle - 8x20/10 secs on/off, 4 mins total

Movement:

Sleep:
7 hrs, felt good but tired early.

Reading:

Health Tips:
1.Eat more frequently, but smaller meals. Smaller meals tend to be easier on digestive track and help to keep from over eating and letting your stomachs stretch receptors to work normally. Can also keep your energy levels and blood sugar a bit more even through out the day. Some studies have shown this way of eating may reduce heart disease. The science however is not yet settled on this technique, but for me it helps in not over-eating.

General Comments"
Good day, workout went well and DOMS is going away as expected. And if I thought my big tank was finally getting better...my primary filter lost an impellor and thus is only working at half power and aeration has stopped...sigh, it just never ends. Fortunately, I replaced it with a spare filter I had thats actually too big but it will do for now until I can get a better fit.

I'm a month away from being 60 and its the first time in my life I've seen the entire Presidential Inaugaration and did so from beginning to end...started yesterday atually. And I got to say it was a wonderful thing that everyone should see. Personally, I think Inaugaration Day should be a holiday as it forms the basis of our entire country...The only reason I got to see it this time is that I'm unemployed. Its too bad people don't understand or appreciate the process and would rather riot in the streets and tear things down because their pet candidate didnt win. There's just so much more to this than the hatred shown by so many today... God Bless America... we all bleed red...yes, I'm a veteran.
Last edited by geo on Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
geo

geo

Postby geo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:27 pm

Day 21

Food:
1. 12:45 am - baked potato and sweet potato
2. 6:15 pm - baked potato and stirfry vegs with salsa and edamame

Variety: tubers 2, veg 10, grains 0, legumes 1, fruits 0, herbs/spices 21. Total - 34

Exercise:
none- off day. DOMS still present, but much better

Movement:

Sleep:
6split sleep 3.5 hrs + 2.5 hrs, felt good but tired early.

Reading:

Health Tips:
1. Another eating pattern that may help...eat your bigger meals in the mornings and lunch and make dinner small. This will help to keep your energy levels high during the day when your most active and help you to sleep better at night because your not going to bed on an overly full stomach. This is sometimes referd to as "European style eating" as they tend to make lunch the biggest meal of the day.

General Comments:
Slow day today. Lost a fish yesterday from my big tank. not sure why he died or if my failed filter had anything to do with it. Fortunately it was an inexpensive siamese algae eater but it was quite mature and large in size :-(
geo

geo

Postby Asia » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:09 pm

Sorry to hear about your fish, Geo. :-(
Asia

Postby geo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:00 pm

Day 22

Food:
1. 11:30 am - baked potato and sweet potato and edamame
2. 4:00 pm - baked potato and stirfry vegs with salsa
3. 7:30 pm - 7 grain hot cereal

Variety: tubers 2, veg 10, grains 7, legumes 1, fruits 0, herbs/spices 21. Total - 42

Exercise:
none- off day. DOMS still present, but much better

Movement:

Sleep:
7 hrs

Reading:

Health Tips:
1. Have colorful flowers around you. They reduce stress and help you relax more than just foilage. Yes there was even a study that showed this...I know sounds rediculous but hey who doesn't like flowers and couldn't use a little stress relief.
2. Take a siesta! Yes a nap in the adternoon has been shown to be very beneficial. A study showed, Men taking a 30 min nap a day have 30 percent less heart disease than those that don't...go figure.

General Comments:
Relaxing day. Watched a movie with the wife, Mechanic Resurrected, gotta love Jason Statham :-) Didn't hardly notice but DOMS is practically gone and muscles feeling much better.
geo

geo

Postby geo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:15 pm

Thanks Asia for the thought :-)

Its hard whenever I lose a fish, but at least they have no apparent signs of disease or anything. Right now I'm trying to figure out what to do with this silly "carnival" goldfish. My daughter won this little baby goldfish at some local carnival last summer. And now the thing won't stop growing. Its like 8" long and fat. Its the biggest fish in my tank, but is quite a beautiful gold color. I may give it away as it really doesnt fit in a tropical tank and tends to bother all the other fish because of its size...
geo

geo

Postby geo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:28 pm

Day 23

Food:
1. 12:15 am - baked potato and sweet potato and edamame
2. 6:15 pm - baked sweet potato and stirfry vegs with salsa
3. 7:30 pm - green tea

Variety: tubers 2, veg 10, grains 0, legumes 1, fruits 0, herbs/spices 21. Total - 35

Exercise:
Weightlifting - compound movements done to failure
Cycling Tabata's - 8 x 20/10 on/off cycles

Movement:

Sleep:
8+ hrs

Reading:

Health Tips:
1. Genetic Testing. These days for about $100 you can get a variety of genetic testing done. Such as: Where your actually from (percent of DNA from what areas of the world, General genetic testing for various markers of bad/genes genes, and even the length of your telomeres to determine how long you might live. Now none of these in and of themselves will improve your health or longevity. But thy will give you insight into your genetic heritage and may help you to avoid issues down the line and all these types of genetic tests are available on-line. The accuracy of these tests have been called into question at times, but I believe for the most part that they do provide reliable info and if nothing else, interesting info for further consideration in your overall health plans.

General Comments:
Good day, slept well and felt good after exercise. Spent time working on my big tank...did large water change and installed new filter to replace my broken one. Got a new heater as well which I will install tomorrow and hopefully get a few plants as well.
geo

geo

Postby geo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:19 pm

Day 24

Food:
1. 2:45 pm - oatmeal and green tea
2. 8:50 pm - rice and beans and stirfry vegs and salsa and green tea

Variety: tubers 0, veg 10, grains 1, legumes 1, fruits 0, herbs/spices 21. Total - 33

Exercise:
none, rest day

Movement:

Sleep:
Split sleep again 3.5 + 3 hrs. Tossed and turned all night. couldnt relaxe.

Reading:

Health Tips:
1. Cultivate and nurture tolerance. Greater emotional stability allows you to better deal with the ups and downs of lifes stresses. Tolerance makes the downs seem small and the ups much bigger. It has a way of soothing your soul and making life brighter. And your toleranc WILL rub off on others and make their days better as well. Its contagious, try it.
2. Have a happy heart. Science has shown that those that are "Happy-go-lucky" have less heart disease. 20% of all heart attacks come from people that are depressed. Keep joy in your heart and joy in your life:

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy by Ren & Stimpy

Hello, boys and girls
This is your old pal stinky wizzleteats
This is a song about a whale
No, this is a song about being happy
That's right, it's the happy, happy, joy, joy, song

Happy, happy, joy, joy
Happy, happy, joy, joy
Happy, happy, joy, joy
Happy, happy, joy, joy
Happy, happy, joy, joy
Happy, happy, joy, joy
Happy, happy, joy, joy, joy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eVM1nUmDHHc ...If that dont make you happy, you must be dead.....

Or you can try this:

"Open Up Your Heart (And Let The Sunshine In)"

The original version, long forgotten: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kUKfaeAL0zU
The one that most of us have heard many times from TV: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LRScRDm9Z1s
The best version ever done: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5TU8dUWes
The best version done with higher quality: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UUHwedbIZYg

Yeah if you search youtube, you can find another half dozen or so remakes of the song over the years, but the one done by the The Cowboy Church Sunday School is by far the best and was the first version to be a hit... but the Flintsones version however made it a major hit in the 60's...

General Comments:
Day went well, but lack of decent sleep made me a bit tired and slow all day. I've been listening to all these different versions of "open up your heart" and now I'm feeling really good...music, soothes the soul...
geo

geo

Postby geo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:20 pm

Day 25

Food:
1. 12:00 am - baked potato and stirfy vegs and salsa and green tea
2. 5:30 pm - baked potato and edemame
3. 6:30 pm - green tea

Variety: tubers 1, veg 10, grains 0, legumes 1, fruits 0, herbs/spices 21. Total - 33

Exercise:
Weightlifting - compound movements done to failure
Cycling Tabata's - 8 x 20/10 on/off cycles

Movement:

Sleep:
6 hrs

Reading:

Health Tip:
1. To Sleep better or fight insomnia, try a few simple calesthetics just before going to bed. A min or two of situps, pushups, squats, or jumping jacks before jumping into bed should tire you out a bit and help you fall asleep quicker.
2. Open your windows and breathe the fresh air...thats assuming there is fresh air in your vicinity. At any rate, your home is filled with toxic odors from every man-made material in the house, called VOC's (volatile organic chemicals). Those new house/new car smells are not particularly good for you and are best eliminated from your space. Easiest way is open your windows. But for when there is inclimate weather, a nice collection of house plants like English Ivy ficus, peace lilly's and chrysanthemums will help get rid of VOC's and provide fresh oxygen.

General Comments:
Good day, slept well and felt good after exercising. Any soreness in muscles pretty much gone as expected. Went out and did some shopping...gotta get more spuds and of course once I got back I realised that I forgot sweet potatoes as well...oh well, will go back tomorrow...
geo

geo

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals