My Vegan Journey

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

My Vegan Journey

Postby JuicerJohn » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:37 pm

A bit over 3 years ago I weighed 228 pounds, got sick a lot, was tired all the time, and in questionable health according to my doctor. I began to search the internet for healthy ways to lose weight and learned about juicing. After researching juicing I bought a $350 juicer and began to juice the majority of my food. I lost around 20 pounds in a month, but juicing is a very time consuming activity for someone who needs to work, not to mention the fact that it is very expensive!

So, back to the internet. I found a video, "Forks Over Knives", and got my first introduction to plant based eating. I continued to research and found Dr. McDougall videos on YouTube and this web site shortly thereafter. I jumped on the WFPB bandwagon and found the transition very easy. A month of mostly juice had reset my palette and I was glad for the variety of whole starches, vegetables, and seasonings.

But my wife is not plant based and as many of you may have experienced if you live in a "mixed" household, sometimes it is easier to make dietary accommodations than to make a 100% change, at least all at once. So, I settled for 90% compliance and joined my wife for a weekend treat on Saturday and Sunday, a bowl of ice cream. Weekend evenings are our big together time, and it really hurt my wife if I did not join her in that weekend ritual. Even so, I continued to lose weight, and after 4 months was at 159 pounds (18.9 BMI)

I stabilized my weight with a bit of calorie density alteration and stayed right there at 162-165 for over 2 years.

But then I started getting sloppy. I decided that besides milk/cream on weekends, I could have an occasional tuna sandwich, or even a few fried eggs now and then, and it wasn't long before my weight started to respond to my poor choices. In about a year my weight went from 165 to 188, and I decided I needed to start behaving with more discipline and cut out some of those additions I had slowly made to my diet. But it was not easy, at least, not at first.

(to be continued)
Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. John 14:6
JuicerJohn

Re: My Vegan Journey

Postby Werner1950 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:08 pm

Thanks for telling your story. Some it it sounds very similar to mine. My wife will often eat like I do, but sstuff when I am not around so as not to discourage or tempt me.

Looking forward to Part 2 of your saga.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby JuicerJohn » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:08 pm

Werner1950 wrote:Thanks for telling your story. Some it it sounds very similar to mine. My wife will often eat like I do, but sstuff when I am not around so as not to discourage or tempt me.

Looking forward to Part 2 of your saga.

I generally prepare my breakfasts and lunches in advance and then eat them at work. Sometimes we eat the same or similar things for dinner, but other times my wife will go off on her own and have something that I would never eat. I generally am not tempted, so this is okay.

And thanks for your interest, part two will follow shortly.
Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. John 14:6
JuicerJohn

Postby JuicerJohn » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:47 pm

Recently, there has been a relative lack of work on my job and I have found myself with a fair amount of free time on my hands. As a result, I have learned some new things, mostly via YouTube videos including how to ferment vegetables and have watched many videos from the Vegetarian Society of Hawaii. I have found that they have a real wealth of information and have enjoyed watching very much.

I had also heard rumblings about such videos as Cowspiracy and Earthlings and decided to check out Earthlings. Earthlings was a real eye opener, to say the least. I have known about factory farms for a long time, and knew that the conditions in these farms was sometimes pretty bad, but you know, as long as we can keep such knowledge abstract, we can prey much ignore it and pretend it really doesn't matter. But videos like Earthlings will not allow the viewer to continue in the abstract, but forces the viewer to confront the realities of what really goes on in factory farms.

Well, this video got me started, and caused me to want to continue to dig. I was no longer able to turn away, and so I decided to face it thread on. My next major stop was Why Vegan? Amazing Presentation by Gary Yourofsky. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UROxRLbVils Gary speaks with such persuasiveness and incredible passion, I knew then that I would need to make the vegan choice, but I wanted to tell myself at that point that I didn't know how.

My next stop was Why Vegan? Lessons From An Animal Scientist, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZYQnt-67vs. Here I got some incredible info concerning the level of sentience present in the animal kingdom. When watching this video it is impossible not to identify with the animals being presented.

And finally, I watched a presentation by Colleen Patrick Goudreau called From Excuse-Atarian To Vegan, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xWD1Zze5Qo4 in which she begs her listeners simply to live according to their own values of compassion and kindness.

And I knew right then, that is what I was not doing, and what I could not continue any longer. And it was in that moment of realization of my own values that I knew that I must change. And all of the excuses just fell away and I knew that I had some changes to make.
JuicerJohn

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning