Getting Control Back

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Getting Control Back

Postby katgirl55 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:06 pm

Werner1950 wrote:You said that caffeinated coffee gives you a blood sugar low. That caught my eye. Do you use sugar in your coffee? Or does the caffeine do it?

Werner,

I'm so sorry that I missed this post from you. I do se some coconut sugar in my coffee, and the low blood sugar only happens when I have caffeinated but not decaf. I have been having some caffeine again to test things out. That's how it gets you! You have one dragging day and try a little caffeine and get that perk, and the monkey is back on your back!
katgirl55

Postby katgirl55 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:21 pm

roundcoconut wrote:Katgirl, please know that we are absolutely here for you and supportive, no matter what! Even two meals a day that are plant-based 90% of the time, will move you in a positive direction. That is the whole point! And moving in the right direction is a complete success.

I like that you have been able to say, "Here's what I think will be best for me, right now, given my circumstances" and you certainly don't need to apologize for that. Hold your head high! :).

I do know that people find it much easier to re-find their old grooves, and so you too may be able to get back into a pattern you once followed with a fair amount of sure-footedness, than to try to build something from scratch. We are all like this! You'll notice people here who have had success doing food together with a walking program, so when they decide to pull things back together, it is actually easier and smoother to go right back to that food and walking program, than to "take things easy" and omit the walking. it is funny like that!

I too seek out old patterns that have worked well for me, if I start to get a little sloppy. One of my old patterns I've recently returned to is to drink unsweetened hot cocoa as my beverage of choice rather than give in to coffee. I've been about three months without a daily coffee (but have been having a cup or two a week) and just want to have an easier time of it, and a pleasurable time of it. So I am drinking cocoa (even right now, as I'm writing)!

Sending good vibes your way, and all energies of encouragement and approval!

Thank you so much for the encouragement, roundcoconut! I believe 100% in this way of eating, but I know it is also not a simple one. I would rather be 80-90% compliant than 80-90% non-compliant, which is where I was headed without trying something new. It's a pattern/habit thing with me. I can easily get into routines that do not benefit me. Chocolate/junk sneaks in, going out to eat sneaks in, and exercise goes away. Yesterday I bought a bag of potatoes and some Engine 2 patties that I will use to make tacos tonight with a little salsa and guacamole. I am actually looking forward to this!
katgirl55

Postby katgirl55 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:51 am

Update on those Engine 2 patties: I bought Pinto Habanero to put into corn tortillas for tacos. These patties are really really spicy hot. I also had some guacamole from Whole Foods which has also been on the spicy side lately. The result was that my mouth was on fire for about 10 minutes. The tacos were good but just way too spicy.

My AC is out but it has been cool lately. I joined the Beachbody On Demand so I can do some exercises at home. My fitness level has really suffered. Also, partner could use some exercise, and I was thinking Tai Cheng might be a good start for balance and stability issues.

On the food front: I continue to struggle - today I planned out my meals and will stick to it.
katgirl55

Postby katgirl55 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:18 am

It is my birthday. I am not sad about it but I was down at the beginning of the week about the latest shooting massacre. Today I am in good spirits.

Partner wants to try a juice fast. The doctor said she needs to lose weight to get on the transplant list, he basically doesn't care how, even if it is bariatric surgery. I would rather she doesn't have to do that, and she wants to do WFPB for her heart and diabetes. Her coworkers are juicing and I agreed to do it so that maybe it will jumpstart some could positive changes for her. She is also willing to do the Beachbody yoga tai chi thing.

Oh, BTW, her nutritionist said NO to Optifast due to the high phosphorus content. So, starting Sunday we are having juice, and after that we will be doing lots of veggies and fruits. Her nutritionist has told her to eat meat for protein, but she has been resistant which I am glad about. I would rather she get more protein from plant based sources. I don't need the extra protein but she does, so I will investigate some better PB sources for her.
katgirl55

Postby katgirl55 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:28 pm

Today is the juice feast. It will likely stretch out to 2-3 days, even though the juices we purchased are for one day only. I am planning on eating a light dinner of steamed veggies. I am also supplementing my juice with some raw fruit today. So far, the juice is delicious and refreshing. I know that these things, just like the Optifast, are a mind challenge more than a physical challenge. When I did Optifast, the thought of food and the media images and cues were the most difficult. The fast itself was doable, and I was never hungry. I know juice is different, with no fiber and more sugar. This will be temporary only, not ongoing. I know programs like Reboot with Joe Cross do 30, 60 or 90 days but I am not in it for the long haul like that. Juices/smoothies are not part of the McDougall program and I prefer to eat my food anyway. I am supporting my partner and also trying to shake things up for myself. Yes, I have been experimenting lately: WW, Optifast, now juices. I know what to do but my mind and body are disconnected.
katgirl55

Postby katgirl55 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:39 am

I am on day 3 of the juice thing, whatever you want to call it. 1) I have not been hungry, 2) I have been eating a McD style dinner every night, 3) my only cheat was yesterday because it was too hot to walk to the juice place during lunch so I settled for something less than optimal (and was extremely disappointed too). I am liking the juice and the smoothies from this place but they are expensive. I know how to juice and make a good smoothie/nut mylk, so I am going to venture out on my own for the rest of the week. My partner has already punked out. Her stomach is extremely sensitive and juice was not her friend yesterday. She has also been too afraid to drink more than one juice per day. I'm okay with this - we are on different paths with our health and have to do what works for us as individuals.
katgirl55

Postby katgirl55 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:09 am

I am exhausted again, and I believe it is affecting my diet and ability to lose weight. I'm also cranky - which might be noticeable in my posts from the last few days. I come here for positive reinforcement, and I get disheartened when I read such negative things, even though I know that I should just ignore it. Somehow I bite the bait. I did manage to ignore the post about Yulin - I just cannot go there. I need to use my internal filter much better and just stay away from the posts that are not going to contribute to my progress. I will try to improve my mental outlook by focusing on what I need to do, rather than other's opinions.

So, on the food front: Meh. I am off the juice fast. Been making green smoothies and even a lemon ginger juice the other day. But I give in to eating junk for comfort. That is my happy hour, rather than drinking. Knowing this, I am going to make a good effort to eat in all week. The heat is also getting to me, and the last thing I want is to cook in a hot kitchen when I get home. Maybe that is another reason the juice/smoothie thing is appealing.
katgirl55

Postby katgirl55 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:21 am

Great news! I did not go out Saturday or Sunday, so I also did not go out to eat! That was a good win for me. Monday of course was the holiday and I did OK. Yesterday was another day of not eating out. This is a good trend.
katgirl55

Postby katgirl55 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:04 pm

My favorite breakfast has been oats parfait - thawed frozen blueberries on the bottom, cooked rolled oats, and banana on top. I make this in the morning and eat it at work. So good! I have no issue with my breakfasts. This is the one meal that is always consistent and compliant. I have even been not drinking my decaf lately. That has cut sugar down a lot (I would put coconut sugar and almond milk creamer). Lunch yesterday was unsweetened coconut yogurt and granola. Not the best choice. Dinner was a bust again.

It is a mental game to get from work to home without stopping somewhere. I think I need to live closer to work. In the meantime I need some strategies for staying on course until I get home. 1) I can eat a late afternoon snack to tide me over until I get home. 2) I can have pre-made meals waiting for me when I get home. 3) I can make something easy and quick when I get home (kind of goes along with #2).

I am taking a vacation next week - travel food. The hotel I am staying at offers free breakfast, so I can be sure to have something hearty and healthy to start the day. The logistics of my trip prohibit me from being too picky. I will do my best and pick the healthiest choice I can. But I am not beating myself up over it. When I return home, Partner and I have decided to get aggressive about our weight loss. She needs to lose weight to get on the list for transplant. I need to lose weight if I will be the donor. There is no longer a choice, we must both move forward with losing weight and quickly.
katgirl55

Postby roundcoconut » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:43 pm

katgirl, I think you're a genius with that oat parfait! I have just the perfect glass for this. I can't wait to play around with this. I'll show you a pic (of your recipe, showcased in the most awesome glasses ever!) when I can get around to it.

You mean, you don't want to travel with a pressure-cooker and a carry-on full of food?!? My goodness!

In any event, I'm sure you can figure out a way to get home without stopping for anything stupid. I would suggest taking off your pants and driving home in your undies. Then, how likely are you to stop at the Kroger???? :)
roundcoconut

Postby katgirl55 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:37 pm

Thanks, roundcoconut! I use the 2 cup Pyrex glass bowls for the parfait so they are pretty flat, but I bet they would be gorgeous in a beautiful glass!

My trip will already be a little challenging, because my partner will need to do dialysis while we're there. We are having the solution shipped to the hotel, and rather than take the cycler machine, she will do manual exchanges periodically. I admire AJ and all those who make the extra effort to eat well while travelling. In my case, I will be away from the hotel most of the day with a lot of walking involved, so not much opportunity for prep and bringing with me. I'm hoping I can get some salad/veggie sandwiches that are not too far off plan.

Oh my!! Well, the no pants idea would work except for getting from the car to my front door - the neighbors would get quite a show! But I love that out of the box line of thinking. It has to be completely understood that I am to go home and eat, or if I go out shopping after work, there is no food to be eaten until I get home. I have done all of this before when I was on Optifast so I know it is possible.
katgirl55

Postby katgirl55 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:58 pm

I am back from vacation and a few pounds heavier, even though I walked an average of 5-6 miles per day. I'm pooped. I attribute the weight gain mostly to travel food that is salty. Just being back home one day I have probably lost the 2-3 lbs of water weight (I have spent most of the day running to the restroom - sorry TMI).

The exercise was good for me, and reinforced what I think: exercise is a necessary component to weight loss because it creates the connection between mind and body that you will not get by being a couch potato. I am not saying that the exercise is what causes weight loss. But moving your body gives you the experience of being in your physical body, that I think is needed to be present and mindful. I am probably not making sense, I am still tired today. Someone who is dieting but not exercising is able to disconnect from the reality of the physical body. I think that is part if our problem in modern society - being tuned in more to what is on a screen that the physical world and our place in it. This is what makes exercise a valuable component, besides the physical changes.

I still do not believe in making 400 pound people run until they vomit by the way.
katgirl55

Postby katgirl55 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:22 pm

I am tired and feeling jaded today. When I'm tired it is very difficult to muster the energy to focus on the positive and ignore the negative. By staying away from CNN and Facebook, I am at least able to avoid some of the political mumbo jumbo going on. But, I still am required to come to work and deal with people. It is not polite to tell them that I have no energy to listen to them complain about work or describe in detail their morning commute. I do care about them, and would never want to be rude and hurtful, so what little strength I have today is being used to be "fit for public".

Here on the boards, I was hoping to get some inspiration and motivation, but I see that folks are still caught up in the YouTube drama a bit. What a shame and a waste of time. We are giving these people much more attention and power than they deserve - who made them spokespeople for the entire vegan community by the way?

I cannot focus on that stuff though - I must keep my eye on the prize and do what will serve me best. School will be starting in a few weeks. After this weekend, I will not be traveling for a bit so I really want to prepare for making some positive changes such as eating better, getting more sleep, stress relief, some moderate but regular exercise. I know this will help me with my energy levels, and I have already begun this week with some of that. Travel can be a source of stress and worry, even if it is fun to get away.

ETA: I just perused the free program recipes (for ideas) and started getting very discouraged. For someone with little time to prep, cook and clean, these all look much too complicated. For example: the multigrain cereal needs like 8 ingredients, when it is so much easier to just cook some rolled oats and add fruit. And then, there are meals that do not seem hearty enough like a lunch of cole slaw? And it has more than 8 ingredients in it so....seems like too much trouble for something not very substantial. I like the soups, though. I think I will make some of these to put on a potato or rice to make things easy.
katgirl55

Postby katgirl55 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:52 pm

My goal is to begin Monday to put in 100% effort on this - yeah yeah the whole I will start Monday thing. But I will be out of town again Saturday and Sunday, so it is not feasible to dive in while out of town. Travel will be winding down after this weekend. There will always be circumstances where I am not able to have full control - so it is important I get the basics down (again) and learn to deal with those. There are people like AJ who travel with an Instant Pot and a cooler. There are others who let some things slide at restaurants. I wish that is were easier for us to navigate in the world without worrying so much about finding compliant food.

Part of my concern when I travel:
1) I am not sitting around somewhere, I am doing things and need a good amount of calories per meal to sustain me until the next one. So, I can ask for a no dressing salad at the restaurants but that will not hold me over for long when I am walking 13,000 steps per day.
2) Being on the go means having limitations on where I can eat - I can always pack small snack items in my purse, but for meals I have to choose from a limited selection based on logistics. What is closest? What is healthiest?
3) I believe there is more ability to make special requests in a good restaurant than at a cheapo place, such as the pre-made sandwich vendor at a convention center.

Not trying to make excuses, just trying to show that I put a lot of thought into it and pick my battles. I will be able to "Arrange My World" best when I am going to be at home able to cook and shop and drive to where I need to go. I love reading how folks here handle going out, as it gives me ideas.
katgirl55

Postby Franchesca_S. » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:53 pm

katgirl55,
Sorry, I don't recall whether you said you'd read the MWL book. Dr McDougall talks about ordering in restaurants in his books. I generally eat in but on the occasional meal out I order things like taco salad (ask them to substitute beans for the meat and no cheese) and in our local sports bar spinach salad with a side order baked potato with salsa to top it with. You can specify no oil. Sometimes I used to bring my own dressing but now I ask for lemon or vinegar. I'm finding that most restaurants and servers are pretty accommodating.
Franchesca_S.

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals