Where to start with fitness?

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Where to start with fitness?

Postby Kerrilyn » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:06 pm

Okay I am in my mid forties, unfit and overweight (BMI 25.?) BP normal 100/60 to 110/70, other blood work like glucose, cholestrol, and triglycerides are in the normal range

Where do I start on the get fit path? The last 6 years I have been rather sedentary. Any book recommendations?

I having been doing weights (Strong Woman) all year.
Kerrilyn

Re: Where to start with fitness?

Postby Dougalling » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:50 am

Hi

I have not exercised in 17 years. Luckily, there is a November Project tribe in my city. I joined them 3 weeks ago. OMG they are going to get me into shape.

Basically, find things that you love to do. Exercise should be fun first and hard work 2nd.
Find someone who will keep you accountable.
Just start doing it and keep doing it for a year. No matter where you start, you know darn well you'll be good at it by then.
Dougalling

Postby vgpedlr » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:57 pm

Move.

Do what you like.

Walking is easy and convenient and also effective. It can be lots of fun depending on where you do it.

Anything you do that you enjoy for its own sake and not as a chore will work best because you have a better chance at staying motivated.
vgpedlr

Re: start with fitness

Postby MINNIE » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:56 pm

Walk! Even if you only do a little at first, you will still benefit. I am a lifelong fitness and exercise fan at..er, enthusiast. But that is not necessarily right for everyone. The best exercise for you is the one you actually like enough to do:).

Since walking is free and can be done anywhere it's a great way to start.

I think that people fail at fitness when they compare themselves to others or commit to a structured program that' s too complicated and/or boring to be sustainable. It's kind of like counting calories and weighing portions to lose weight. If you take (literally) just a few first steps, you will soon see progress and get a sense of accomplishment.

You are doing great already by taking the decision to become a healthy person!
MINNIE

Postby Kerrilyn » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:55 pm

Thanks for your words of wisdom. I have been thinking I am overthinking this and what i really need to do is be in tune to what my body is saying instead of trying to make it conform to someone else's ideas. Not being mindful of what I am doing and rushing through life has got me where I am!
Kerrilyn

Postby Grammy Ginger » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:11 pm

I'm late answering this, so I hope you don't just roll your eyes at me.

For years and years, I've been a walker and like it a lot. I walk between 2 and 10 miles six days a week.

Last year I took up cycling but am only a fair weather cyclist. Because I like the benefits to my joints, I got a bike desk to allow me to bike in any weather and location. The other day, I listened to America's got talent on Youtube, which led into listening to other music. Before I knew it, I had painlessly and enjoyably biked (and danced) 20 miles in 100 minutes. Yes, I'm slow, but everything helps.

While exercising is good and makes me feel great, it is sooo much easier to not put the calories in my mouth in the first place than to try exercising them off.
Grammy Ginger

Return to Exercise and Fitness