Fitbit HR

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Fitbit HR

Postby Committed » Tue May 26, 2015 6:13 pm

Has anyone who has one of these wrist bands researched their radio waves? I really want one of these watches but I am concerned. I find support for both sides of the argument (safe or unsafe) online.
Committed

Re: Fitbit HR

Postby vgpedlr » Tue May 26, 2015 6:29 pm

I don't know anything about a fitbit, but I've used regular chest strap HRMs for every workout for many years. I do not think there is enough amplitude from anything on your wrist to be a problem. If you want to worry about that kind of stuff, worry about data carrying frequencies and power used by cell signals and wi-fi routers.
vgpedlr

Postby Committed » Wed May 27, 2015 8:02 am

I do worry about that other stuff too. Let's, face it - I fret. But this particular fitbit watch is designed to be worn 24 hours a day (it monitors your sleep). It tracks your movement all day and also monitors your sleep. That's why I am concerned.
Committed

Postby vgpedlr » Thu May 28, 2015 10:59 am

Committed wrote:I do worry about that other stuff too. Let's, face it - I fret. But this particular fitbit watch is designed to be worn 24 hours a day (it monitors your sleep). It tracks your movement all day and also monitors your sleep. That's why I am concerned.

I don't see how it would be any different than wearing a digital watch 24/7. It uses accelerometers to track movement whether awake or asleep, and an optical sensor for HR rather than an electrical connection like a chest strap. The only other thing is Bluetooth. If that bothers you, I'm sure you can "unpaid" it and just plug it in with a hard wire for syncing.
vgpedlr

Postby vgpedlr » Sat May 30, 2015 7:42 am

Update:
There are people who are concerned. I just listened to neurosurgeon Jack Kruse rail against wearing bluetooth. He has long warned of the dangers of cell phones and wifi. One of his biggest concerns is that unlike cell phones, Bluetooth companies don't have to disclose any details regarding exposure. Personally, I have no desire for a 24 hr tracker, now even less so. I'll stick to my old school regular HRM that lacks microwave radiation data transfer. Current HR and total time, that's all I care about.

Jack Kruse is a Paleo guy, but in this case he's not talking about an imagined food past, but physics. For what it is worth.
vgpedlr

Postby Mober » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:04 am

Not an expert, and not sure about the person you cite, but if you bought it in the US, it goes through all the normal FCC, CE testing etc. While I would agree there isnt long term 20 year type data on these types of products, its pretty low power and things like the wrist bands are designed to take a bunch of data, turn the radio on and send it to your phone, then turn off. Most of these types of devices also do not want to try and transmit through your body because its a poor path for signals.
Mober

Postby Jumpstart » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:33 pm

When it comes to Bluetooth devices my DH who was an Radio Frequency Engineer working for Motorola before becoming a RN tells me that there are three standard power outputs on these devices depending on range. Any device actually tied or near the human body transmits at one mW, which is tiny. If you're really interested in power output of Wi Fi and routers he suggests you look at:

http://www.litepoint.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Practical-Testing-of-Bluetooth-Devices_WhitePaper.pdf
Jumpstart

Postby Katydid » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:54 pm

I had a Fitbit wristband for about a year until I lost it when I was doing a tree canopy obstacle course. Then I had a Fitbit clip-on until it died. Now I track with my AppleWatch - which I absolutely adore. I particularly like the "get off your butt and walk around" alerts. No Bluetooth worries here :D

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby Jumpstart » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:48 am

Talking about Fitbit my DH just bought into the company on the IPO this past Thursday. It's his opinion that wearable technology will be a rage that continues.
Jumpstart

Return to Exercise and Fitness