Nov Newsletter - Weight Chart

Give us your thoughts on the latest McDougall mailings here

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, Heather McDougall, carolve

Re: Nov Newsletter - Weight Chart

Postby roundcoconut » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:40 pm

It really IS a little different for everyone depending on body type and boob size. People who are naturally very lightly muscled (people whose body type is lanky and willowy) really are very different from someone who is naturally more thickly muscled. The difference is that at the exact same level of body fat, and at the exact same height, two people would vary by several pounds. How many, I couldn't tell you!

I wanted to mention, though, that when a person uses up 15 pounds of stored body fat, many people find the change to be extremely unflattering. Not only do friends and family tell you how gaunt you look, but even you might look in the mirror and ask, "Do I look like crap? I'm not sure."

Personally, I started following this way of eating when I was living abroad for four months. When I came back to the US, I probably weighed 112 or so, as compared to my former weight of maybe 130? The bartender where i worked in Virginia told me I really looked a bit gross, and that my formerly nice butt was now flat. I don't think she was lying about her opinion -- I just think that it's very hard to like someone's new face, when you really liked their old face.

The interesting thing is that I'm probably five pounds smaller than the weight my bartender thought looked "extreme", and now living in New Mexico, and no one has ever made a negative comment about my face or my butt. If I showed someone a pic of me at 130, they would probably say, "Oh you look kinda puffy at that weight, and I can't really see your features that well." We would all look at those pics and say, "Yeah, you don't look as healthy then."

So if you need an opinion on how you look -- even if it's just a cosmetic opinion -- ask someone who has never seen you at a different body size.

For example: remember when you first saw the thin Bill Clinton? You thought, "Oh god, who's that old man?" And now he looks just fine to my eyeballs. You may still think fat Bill Clinton is more handsome, but thin Bill Clinton does look healthy and well, now that my eyeballs are used to what he looks like.
roundcoconut

Postby ShootingStar » Sun May 01, 2016 3:47 pm

I am really confused about this also, so much that I posted a specific question about it in the Lounge. I'm really hoping someone can clear up my confusion.
ShootingStar

Postby Willijan » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:26 pm

My thoughts on your comment? Just keep going and try to stay on the best version of this diet, and you might be surprised at what happens. It might turn out to be easy to get to 100 lbs. for you.
I have already gotten to my high school weight, and I am thrilled, but I really think I should still weigh less.
I don't think you should worry about your metabolism. If I remember what I have read in the McDougall newsletters, this diet will take care of that.
When I started the diet about 5 years ago, I weighed between 127 and 128, at about 5' 4 1/2". I quickly got down to about 122. Then I got stricter in avoiding high fat plant foods and got down to 116 to 118. My high school weight was between 118 and 125.
Now I have gone back up to 120, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm just holding steady on trying to eat the right things.
Regardless of how much you weigh, this diet will make you healthier.
Willijan

Postby mapat » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:35 am

While I tend to focus more on health and fitness, rather than weight, I'd have to also disagree with this and most other weight charts. Some people are yes, bigger-boned, 'sturdier'/solid/muscular, and not built, as Bridget Jones says, like "American Stick Insects". This chart says mine should be 132--no way. All four years of high school weight stayed steady at 156--'skin & bones & boobs'. And very healthy. Pigging out I could maybe reach 160; not eating/fasting never below 149. I consider 156 to be MY 'ideal' weight. I am now within 10 pounds of that...but at 59, it sure is 'arranged differently'... :eek:
mapat

Postby astirle » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:24 pm

My goodness I wonder if I could ever get to 132 pounds? - I was never that weight as an adult.
I was thinking that 150 would be fine..
But it is true that our perceptions of healthy have changed so much since I was a teenager in the 80's.
I certainly considered myself overweight compared with my peers, at 5' 8" and 150 pounds.
Now, that's probably considered quite slim!
On the quest for resilience
astirle

Postby MakePeasNotWar » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:17 pm

astirle wrote:My goodness I wonder if I could ever get to 132 pounds? - I was never that weight as an adult.
I was thinking that 150 would be fine..
But it is true that our perceptions of healthy have changed so much since I was a teenager in the 80's.
I certainly considered myself overweight compared with my peers, at 5' 8" and 150 pounds.
Now, that's probably considered quite slim!

If I recall correctly, this chart was in the Starch Solution book, and it was not presented as a target weight, it was just to reassure people who thought they were getting too thin, and were worried it might not be healthy. If you are eating healthfully and following the guidelines, don't worry if you aren't that slim (but also, don't worry if you are!)
MakePeasNotWar

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:52 am

MakePeasNotWar wrote:If I recall correctly, this chart was in the Starch Solution book, and it was not presented as a target weight, it was just to reassure people who thought they were getting too thin, and were worried it might not be healthy.

I know Dr. Fuhrman uses that same chart for his goal weights.
VeggieSue

Previous

Return to Comments on Latest Newsletter or Star McDougaller