Negative Feedback

Give us your thoughts on the latest McDougall mailings here

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, Heather McDougall, carolve

Negative Feedback

Postby bevan » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:20 am

I have been following the McDougall program for 2 months now and have lost 19 lbs...people around me have commented not only on my weight loss but the "radiant" nature of my skin tone. I would like everyone to know about this program but I am shocked by the negativity from people when I tell them no meat, dairy or oil. The first expression is one of disbelief...the next reaction one of "you poor thing"...you're going to die of malnutrition and protein deficiency...this DESPITE the fact that before their eyes and their own acknowledgements of how I look and act...the truth is in the PUDDING...so I still tell people the truth...I feel great and look better and I DON'T CARE what they think...well...really I do but its their choice.
bevan

Re: Negative Feedback

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:00 pm

Back up--you look and feel great. I'm not sure why you care what others think, but there is nothing "poor" about you. You have discovered something wonderful. Don't let their attitude spoil your enjoyment of it.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wsoACrk/]
[/url]
Vanilla Orchid

Postby bevan » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:54 pm

Well it is now 6 months...starchavore...have found wonderful ways to incorporate delicious food...look even better NOW...beyond the 19...I've lost 32 lb in total...slowing down however but who cares!...I can dance circles around people at work 1/2 my age...no more arthritic pain...and a wonderful discovery...my dental hygienist tells me that my last 2 visits (I required every 3 months) have required such minimal scaling that we are going to aim for every 6 months...like most folks do...so as Dr. McDougall says...if the horse's mouth looks good...well the rest must be as well...just loving life now...I'm going to do a written star McDougaller... :D
bevan

Postby Wendy Jane » Sun May 08, 2016 2:59 pm

bevan: I remember well when my hubby and I began our plan based journey. I don't like to use the word "vegan" any more because it means different things to different folks. Some folks consider fake vegan foods to be okay, and thankfully we learned through Dr. McDougall that we shouldn't eat those sort of things anymore.

At any rate many of my friends thought we'd gone crazy. Not eating meat and dairy? Well, where are you getting your protein? How about calcium? Well, my hubby lost 30 pounds initially and I lost 15 and we both felt great!!! Our food bill went down considerably and even to this day we walk nicely past the meat and dairy counters without putting a thing in our carts. I haven't seen a doctor in close to 10 years, although due to recently having some hair loss and possible low thyroid I've had to pay a visit to one recently. My new primary care doctor is keeping an eye on that and currently he feels my thyroid is borderline---so I'll see.

We hardly ever get sick. I avoid flu shots but my hubby has to get them because he does has asthma, and works at our local hospital which requires flu shots in order to keep working there. But other than his asthma, he's also doing great. Neither one of us has the typical aches and pains that others our age do. Yes, we're both in our sixties, and I'm giving away our age!!

A few months ago I ran into an old friend who has rheumatoid arthritis. Well, I told her that she could be pain free by switching her diet. When she found out it was no meat and dairy she kept saying "Isn't that a bit drastic?" Couldn't convince her to at least give it a try. I guess some folks just refuse to give up their meat and dairy even if they're sick!! Oh, well.

Don't pay any attention to what your friends, family, coworkers, etc. say to you. Feeling great, and weight loss have everything going for you. And who knows? Perhaps one day someone will ask you how you do it, and will want to try it out as well.
Wendy Jane

Postby Willijan » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:14 pm

It is so hard wanting to give people the information about this diet and knowing that most are either not interested or won't believe you.

We moved from Kansas to Tennessee last summer, and when I met the man who lives across the road I found out his wife, who is in her 40s or 50s, is dying of "untreatable" heart disease. I tried to tell him about this diet and how it could help her and he wouldn't listen at all. He just kept interrupting me and telling me what all the doctors had said about her case being hopeless.
Now we have become friends with him, as all of us (except his wife) spend a lot of time outside. He watches me work in my yard, bring out the trash, head out on walks, go bicycling, etc. I am 67, and recently he told me "you run around like you're 16."
But I know he'll never change. He is a real stuck in a rut kind of guy, but really kind and friendly. It is sad.

But in the grocery store the clerk found out I am a vegan, and she asked me about how to get enough protein, and how to deal with her Type II diabetes. So I took her copies of 3 McDougall newsletters on these topics, and I am hoping she will try the diet.

My sister, who along with her husband and eldest daughter is very unhealthy, won't even let me tell her about it. Then she says, "I'm not sure I even believe in it."
Willijan

Postby eric3417 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:02 am

I feel u'll… After CABG x 4 follow by insertion of 4 stents due to complications, i could not even convince my wife to give up meat & dairy. Only my mother is trying her best to transit over (90%) after many months. Fortunately i managed to get my wife off smoking. My friends all act like i'm over reacting to my Heart Disease and were too kind to label me a Mad Man/Extremist by Mcdougalling.

:crybaby:
eric3417

Postby OneLeggedPig » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:10 am

I think that's a typical experience.

I can't get my partner to consider eating this way, and she worries about me.... despite me being the healthiest person she knows, without any health issues whatsoever, and all while I'm eating large volumes of food everyday.
OneLeggedPig

Postby roundcoconut » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:37 am

Funny about people labeling you a Mad Man / Extremist! People can't even conceive of it -- why would you DENY yourself skittles and twinkies???

It always fasincates me, that when someone decides to take on a project in some other area of their lives, it is generally accepted. If someone says they want to adopt an aging collie, no one says, "OMG, what a horrible way to live, why would you DO that to yourself!" Or if someone says they want to hike the Appalachian Trail, no one says, "You don't need to do that -- why don't you just go for a walk in the park instead??"

But if you transition to a diet based on fruits, vegetables, starches and legumes, you have all of a sudden adopted a stoic and joyless way of life, and they can't even think of how to respond to that.

In sum: People are crazy.
roundcoconut

Postby DeborahAnn » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:15 pm

It is an odd phenomenon. I get the impression that people often feel personally threatened. That some of them feel a personal guilt about eating critters and it makes them kind of defensive and post a really strong position against this.
DeborahAnn

Postby Werner1950 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:49 am

Whenever people ask me where i get my protein, i respond with, "help me out here. Just how much protein do i need?" And they will admit that they haven't a clue. I am armed with just a few facts, and that usually settles people down. Oncebthey see that i know what I am doing they change their tone.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby Jerry Angelo » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:29 am

Werner1950 wrote:Whenever people ask me where i get my protein, i respond with, "help me out here. Just how much protein do i need?" And they will admit that they haven't a clue. I am armed with just a few facts, and that usually settles people down. Oncebthey see that i know what I am doing they change their tone.

That's a great response, Werner.

Better than the more combative "well, where do you get your fiber?" - which coincidently they have no idea either lol...

In responding like you did one can get a better opportunity to possibly enlighten someone who can possibly benefit from our woe.
108 Pounds Lost Since Sept 2014 - And Counting
No more pre diabetes! Eternally grateful to Dr. McDougall! And Jeff Novick!!!
My Journal
Jerry Angelo

Postby mhcarrs » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:09 pm

People want to believe you found the magic bullet in health. They want it so bad to not affect their choice of lifestyle. :eek: Then we tell them the truth and blam the slap in our face.

We have found the magic bullet. And we are strong enough to go for it. Sorry for them.

A PA for my heart once said to me what are you doing to be losing wt., cleaning your arteries and having great blood work. I told her, and her face fell and she said that was a really extreme diet. While I thought isn't it more extreme to slice my leg open for a graft, slice my chest open, crack my ribs insert graft and then seal me with a wire I will feel the rest of my life.

We have choices. I made mine. And it is not extreme. At least not to me. :D
mhcarrs

Return to Comments on Latest Newsletter or Star McDougaller