Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, Heather McDougall, carolve

Re: Vitamin D Supplements, March, 2015 newsletter

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:24 pm

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wsoACrk/]
[/url]
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Himejii » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:16 pm

I've yet to see any studies that indicate harm from regular low dose D3 supplements.

I understood the reference in Dr. McDougall's article: two test groups were given massive annual injected doses of 300,000 IU and 500,000 IU respectively, and this increased their incidence of fractures.

Well, yeah. Massive doses of anything is generally harmful. But that's not to say that lower regular doses are harmful. In fact, I can't find a single reference to a study that finds daily low doses (400-1000 IU) are harmful. It concerns me that he makes the leap from those massive dose findings to unilaterally claim that "Vitamin D supplements are harmful." I'm certain that if such a study has been done, Dr. McDougall would have found it and quoted it. It also makes me wonder how many of his other claims are so weakly supported by actual science.

Now, on the other hand, I've read a lot of references that say D3 isn't the only compound your body produces from exposure to sunlight. These products and their effects aren't well understood, but obviously it takes effort for your body to produce them, so it's doing it for a reason. For that reason alone, I'd prefer to get my D3 from UV exposure, and use it as a marker for whether or not I'm getting enough UV to produce the other compounds.
Himejii

Postby f1jim » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:23 pm

There are precious little studies on the toxicity of most vitamins. Unlike drugs that have to be tested there is nobody willing to pay for these studies.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at http://www.drmcdougall.com/star.html Scroll to James Brown
f1jim

Previous

Return to Comments on Latest Newsletter or Star McDougaller