Arsenic in rice - Dec. 2014 Newsletter

Give us your thoughts on the latest McDougall mailings here

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, Heather McDougall, carolve

Arsenic in rice - Dec. 2014 Newsletter

Postby sunlight » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:51 am

Having eaten a LOT of rice over the years and being aware of the bad news associated with it recently, I am grateful for this article to help put things in perspective.

Also, the major media television reports that I have seen have not mentioned the area of the country from which it is safer to consume rice, so that is appreciated as well, as I have read elsewhere of the elevated arsenic levels of southern U.S. farmland.

In the meantime, I am using rice from CA, rinsing my brown rice well in a strainer before cooking, and use a 6:1 ratio of water to rice, in effect boiling the rice as you would pasta.
sunlight

Re: Arsenic in rice - Dec. 2014 Newsletter

Postby f1jim » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:27 pm

California has much lower concentrations of arsenic from what I have read. I too follow precautions regarding the preparation of rice. It's probably best to continue this till we learn more. I can't find the data regarding distribution of arsenic in the soils but I have not looked deeply into it lately. The article did put the subject in a proper perspective. I have a hunch we will learn more about this in the near future.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at http://www.drmcdougall.com/star.html Scroll to James Brown
f1jim

Postby Birdy » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:01 pm

Correction to the December, 2014 McDougall Newsletter: Napoleon Bonaparte died not from arsenic poisoning but from stomach cancer according to research reported by National Geographic eight years ago http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... oleon.html
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby calvin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:18 am

As a California resident, I buy whole-grain rice by the 50lb bag but have been angry that the rice growers lobby has managed to prevent access to out-of-state and out-of-USA sources; but i guess i will take the good with the bad, eh? Why is a water-intensive crop tolerated in a drought-ridden region; the Anasazi culture disappeared from the southwest under similar circumstances. I don't wash rice as the arsenic is in, not on, the grain. I am considering reducing my consumption of whole-grain and substituting white rice not only in order to avoid arsenic but also because the extra protein etc. is simply not necessary for adults. It is nice that the McDougall diet gives one permission to do so; even the ED diet is white rice...i assume this is to further eliminate possibly-antigenic proteins (which might be inflammatory) by eliminating the rice germ.
Last edited by calvin on Wed May 11, 2016 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calvin

Return to Comments on Latest Newsletter or Star McDougaller