A few questions about your diet guide

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

A few questions about your diet guide

Postby hope4me » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:28 pm

This is my first post to a blog, ever! I have found your diet guide helpful in trying to eat more. I weigh 99 lbs. I have never weighed more than 120 but on WFPB oil free diet I am quite thin. I have never been a big eater; it's a bit of a chore. Your measurements are helping to push me.I include nuts, seeds, avocado and occasionally coconut flakes.
Here are my questions:
1. Breakfast - intact whole grains 2 cups. I am assuming the grains are measured after cooking. Correct?
2, Fresh fruit 1 cup but later 1 fruit serving, 120 calories vs 60 calories. I looked up a fruit serving on the internet and .gov said 1 cup. Please comment.
3. Does rice count towards the starchy vegetable portion at lunch or dinner? What about quinoa and buckwheat? Does corn count as a starchy vegetable or veggies or whole grains?
Thank you for your time. I hope you had a lovely Father's Day.
hope4me

Re: A few questions about your diet guide

Postby pundit999 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:38 pm

hope4me wrote:This is my first post to a blog, ever! I have found your diet guide helpful in trying to eat more. I weigh 99 lbs. I have never weighed more than 120 but on WFPB oil free diet I am quite thin. I have never been a big eater; it's a bit of a chore. Your measurements are helping to push me.I include nuts, seeds, avocado and occasionally coconut flakes.
Here are my questions:
1. Breakfast - intact whole grains 2 cups. I am assuming the grains are measured after cooking. Correct?
2, Fresh fruit 1 cup but later 1 fruit serving, 120 calories vs 60 calories. I looked up a fruit serving on the internet and .gov said 1 cup. Please comment.
3. Does rice count towards the starchy vegetable portion at lunch or dinner? What about quinoa and buckwheat? Does corn count as a starchy vegetable or veggies or whole grains?
Thank you for your time. I hope you had a lovely Father's Day.

I don't know where you are getting the recommendations on how much to eat. In this way of eating, we do not worry aboyt how much we eat. We eat until we feel full.

Having said that,
1) grains are typically measured after cooking.
2) Here we recommend 0-3 fruits every day. If you want, you can decide to eat one cup of fruit daily. That should cover the fruit part.
3) Rice, Quinoa and buckwheat are all good starchy things. Corn is a starchy veggie. Will also count as whole grain if eaten that way.

If you are trying to eat more an gain weight, you may want to also include Tofu. It is higher calorie and provides variety and easy to buy everywhere.

Good luck. You will find good support here.
pundit999

Postby debknott » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:00 am

Also, if you want to gain weight, avocados, nuts, seeds, and peanut butter or other kinds of nut butters will help. Keep in mind that the McDougall way of eating is starch based, so eat a lot of starches. Those who are trying to lose weight eat the starches, but try to eat about one-half starches and one-half veggies on their plate for each meal. You would do better eating lots of starches and less veggies.
debknott

Postby hope4me » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:34 pm

Thank you for your reply and assistance. I got the recommendations from the Discussion Board on an entry "Simplicity by Jeff N. Sun July 27 2008 4:20 pm". It has helped me eat more calories which I need at 5'7" 100 lbs.
hope4me

Postby Willijan » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:50 pm

hope4me wrote:Thank you for your reply and assistance. I got the recommendations from the Discussion Board on an entry "Simplicity by Jeff N. Sun July 27 2008 4:20 pm". It has helped me eat more calories which I need at 5'7" 100 lbs.

I have tried searching for Simplicity Jeff Novick July 2008, and got no results. Can someone suggest how to search for the entry listed above?

I have never had good luck using the Search function when searching the discussion board on this site. Any general suggestions for how it works would be appreciated. Or a link to Jeff Novick's Simplicity 2008 post.
Willijan

Postby frozenveg » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:40 pm

Wiilijan, I found this and I bet it’s what the OP had read. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7890&p=56620&hilit=Simplicity#p56620

I found it by going to Jeff’s forum, since the OP said it was his, rather than just typing terms in the general search bar. In the search bar at the top of Jeff’s thread, I typed Simplicity. Then since the OP mentioned it was from 2008, I went to the last page of the results. Then I scrolled down until I saw 2008, and the heading Simplicity’, and there it was.

I have varied success with the Search feature, but I had enough clues that it worked this time!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby frozenveg » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:05 pm

Hope4me, a few more comments on starches and starchy vegetables: this is a starch-based diet. Your basic Starches are potatoes, sweet potatoes of all colors, whole grains like rice, wheat, rye, quinoa and so on. Legumes like Limas and other beans are starches, but so high in protein that they are limited to a cup or so per day, on average. Starch should be the centerpiece of each meal. The vegetables are the side dishes. We roughly divide the vegetables into into starchy and nonstarchy. Starchy vegs include corn, green peas, and possibly carrots, and nonstarchy veggies include leafy greens, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, green beans, and stuff like that.

Especially if you’re trying to gain weight, forget about limiting starches. Have as much as is satisfying; then , if you’re still trying to gain, you can include the avocados, nuts, and seeds, as well as whole-grain bread and so on.

Most people (me included) do not need to gain, so I hope folks with experience in keeping weight up will share here!

Success Story:
frozenveg

Postby Willijan » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:04 pm

frozenveg wrote:Wiilijan, I found this and I bet it’s what the OP had read. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7890&p=56620&hilit=Simplicity#p56620

I found it by going to Jeff’s forum, since the OP said it was his, rather than just typing terms in the general search bar. In the search bar at the top of Jeff’s thread, I typed Simplicity. Then since the OP mentioned it was from 2008, I went to the last page of the results. Then I scrolled down until I saw 2008, and the heading Simplicity’, and there it was.

I have varied success with the Search feature, but I had enough clues that it worked this time!

Thanks for the guidance, and the link, Frozenveg!
Willijan

Postby hope4me » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:25 pm

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate the help. I'v been doing McDougall for about a year and I am doing as you say but I was short on volume. I've never had a good appetite. I never really got the pleasure from food that I see others experience. The only time I got it was when I was on a short course of moderate dose prednisone. Boy was the food good. Now I take generic for Plaquenil which blunts the appetite which I do not need, but it helps with the rheumatoid arthritis (RA). I eat by the clock so if I'm not hungry for lunch by 1:30, I just prepare the food and sit down and eat. I could easily go on 2 meals a day with a small bedtime snack, but I have to keep my weight up. I know if I ate animals I would gain but I can't go back. Dr McDougall says if you look in the mirror and your happy with what you see then your weight is ok. I am not happy with what I see but I know that other than mild RA symptoms I feel pretty good and I'm hoping I'm reversing disease. All of my blood tests come back normal (other than RA antibody).
I was counting peas as my 1/2 cup of legumes and not as my starch. :?
hope4me

Postby frozenveg » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:24 pm

hope4me wrote:Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate the help. I'v been doing McDougall for about a year and I am doing as you say but I was short on volume. I've never had a good appetite. I never really got the pleasure from food that I see others experience. The only time I got it was when I was on a short course of moderate dose prednisone. Boy was the food good. Now I take generic for Plaquenil which blunts the appetite which I do not need, but it helps with the rheumatoid arthritis (RA). I eat by the clock so if I'm not hungry for lunch by 1:30, I just prepare the food and sit down and eat. I could easily go on 2 meals a day with a small bedtime snack, but I have to keep my weight up. I know if I ate animals I would gain but I can't go back. Dr McDougall says if you look in the mirror and your happy with what you see then your weight is ok. I am not happy with what I see but I know that other than mild RA symptoms I feel pretty good and I'm hoping I'm reversing disease. All of my blood tests come back normal (other than RA antibody).
I was counting peas as my 1/2 cup of legumes and not as my starch. :?

I hope everything goes well for you. It sounds as though you have the RA as under control as you can, which is a very good thing. Your plan of simply eating on a schedule is a good plan for someone who really doesn't have an appetite.

And just to add, regular, green peas (as opposed to split peas) are counted neither as a legume nor as a starch! They are just counted as vegetables, albeit starchy. Here's a link to Dr. M's list of ideas of the starches that could be your main dishes: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... h-staples/

The Beans and Lentils listed at the end are the ones you'd limit to 1 cup per day, because they are so high in protein.

Success Story:
frozenveg

Return to How to Begin