Diabetes and Anosmia

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Diabetes and Anosmia

Postby Ellyloo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:07 pm

Hey everyone!
This is my first day (again) , and this time I want to do it right.
I am researching and 'owning' my eating instead of just kinda winging it.
I'm still learning, so forgive my questions.

I have just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and so I'm highly interested in my sugar levels all the time. I feel like I want to SEE this diet in action!
My husband is also type 2, and his medication (metformin) has stopped lowering sugars.
I'd love for him to be gung ho about it but he's got to 'own' it for himself so he believes it. I'm not going to force him.

If he eats a pile of starches for supper and then has meat the next day for lunch, will this do more harm than good?
I have no problem making food for us both and having him eat it, UNLESS it will cause harm later if he's wishy washy about it.

ALSO: about me, I have no sense of smell. I never have, and the drs say it's 'likely' that my olfactory nerves are scarred or damaged somehow. This means I taste only the basics, and combos of the basics.
A LOT of the foods on the diet are "blank" to me, and not even the least bit appealing. Squashes of all sorts, greens, etc... have no taste. The only food reward i get is the texture .
curry's etc just are painful foods to me, and the only reason I like franks red hot is for the tang and saltiness of it.
A baked potato with no butter or sour cream makes me sad.

Does anyone else have this problem, and how did they overcome their aversion to seemingly unexciting meals?
How can I get "INTO" it if i can't say "mmm delicious!"
Ellyloo

Re: Diabetes and Anosmia

Postby kirkj » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:33 pm

What tastes delicious to you when you're not eating this way?
kirkj

Postby Ellyloo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:54 pm

I fear it's all the bad stuff... I can taste the basics, so sweet, sour, bitter, salty.
I love green olives. Dill pickles... Sweet stuff, and sour/bitter/sweet like grapefruit.
Crunch, creamy, etc... textures really matter.
stir fried veggies are a bunch of limp slippery strands of nothing tasting things, so unless i can douse them in soy... it's not appetizing at all. If they've been steamed, I enjoy them better, because they have their natural sweetness and crunch. Peas are yummy in the pod...but if they are cooked to floppiness, it loses the enjoyment.
I love steamed asparagus with lemon and salt. I guess lemon and salt would taste good on brussel sprouts and other things...
I had a delicious mango salad at a thai food restaurant (I think it was thai?) That sure brightened the salad up!
Salads are generally tasteless by themselves, unless i get some of the more bitter items, and then... well who likes bitter?
I guess I'm going to get to know my steamer pretty well.

when I tried winging this diet 2 years ago, I craved salt in the worst way. I also ate more fruits than I probably should, for the sweetness.
We started just a month or so before christmas and lost the mojo ever since.
Ellyloo

Postby Willijan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:15 pm

Ellyloo wrote:Hey everyone!
This is my first day (again) , and this time I want to do it right.
I am researching and 'owning' my eating instead of just kinda winging it.
I'm still learning, so forgive my questions.

I have just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and so I'm highly interested in my sugar levels all the time. I feel like I want to SEE this diet in action!
My husband is also type 2, and his medication (metformin) has stopped lowering sugars.
I'd love for him to be gung ho about it but he's got to 'own' it for himself so he believes it. I'm not going to force him.

If he eats a pile of starches for supper and then has meat the next day for lunch, will this do more harm than good?
I have no problem making food for us both and having him eat it, UNLESS it will cause harm later if he's wishy washy about it.

ALSO: about me, I have no sense of smell. I never have, and the drs say it's 'likely' that my olfactory nerves are scarred or damaged somehow. This means I taste only the basics, and combos of the basics.
A LOT of the foods on the diet are "blank" to me, and not even the least bit appealing. Squashes of all sorts, greens, etc... have no taste. The only food reward i get is the texture .
curry's etc just are painful foods to me, and the only reason I like franks .hot is for the tang and saltiness of it.
A baked potato with no butter or sour cream makes me sad.

Does anyone else have this problem, and how did they overcome their aversion to seemingly unexciting meals?
How can I get "INTO" it if i can't say "mmm delicious!"

With your lack of sense of smell, giving advice is hard, because it's such an individualized problem--finding the textures you like. So I'll mention a few I enjoy, and you can try them if you want.
1)Oat groats. I really like the texture, if I cook them very well. That gets them a little creamier than using the standard directions. I soak them for 4 hours (no boil), then cook in the instant pot for 22 minutes. Those are standard. Then I let it sit on "Keep Warm" for several hours. I like them with stewed apples, cooked separately. You can get more texture if you leave the apple skins on, or just a few of the skins.
2) Microwaved corn chips. Use a microwave bacon rack. Put whole corn tortillas, or tortillas cut into 6 or 8 pieces flat on the rack. In my microwave, it takes 2 minutes per 2 tortillas. If you get the timing right, they come out crunchy. If you don't, they come out burned or soft. It varies with your microwave, thickness of the tortillas, how many you do at once, etc. These are good as dippers for beans and salsa, or just crumbled into the bowl with the beans.
3) Another crunchy thing that is McDougall compliant is rye crackers. I use Wasa brand; I've never seen any oil in this brand's varieties. Good with very low-fat hummus on top. My husband also likes sliced jalapenos or pickles on these.
4) Water-sautéed mushrooms have a meaty texture. I saute them until all the water is evaporated and the mushrooms are getting dry to get that good texture--not slimy. Use in spaghetti sauce or mixed into grains or beans.
5) Carrots that are diced and just barely cooked have a nutty texture. You could mix them into rice with or without some other veggie you like.
Good luck! This diet will really help with diabetes, and also many other common health problems that you may have even though you don't know it yet. I throw that last in, because that's what happens to so many of us, we aren't motivated because we don't know yet that we are sick.
As far as your husband being on then off the diet, even partially eating this way will help, and not be dangerous in and of itself. However, it won't give nearly as much benefit as following the guidelines all the time.
Willijan

Postby kirkj » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:03 pm

Sounds like you have lots of veggies you like. You might like potatoes with salsa, I often eat that. If you have concerns about too much salt, I found that by eliminating salt completely for awhile, anything with even a bit of salt tasted terrific. That might be difficult if you find everything unappetizing without salt.
kirkj

Return to How to Begin