Need clarification

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Need clarification

Postby debknott » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:07 pm

Hi! I'm brand new, two days in, and have some questions:

1. I take a number of supplements. Is it okay to finish up the bottles I am using before going off them? I can give away the unopened bottles I guess.

2. My Mum has dementia (on hospice presently) so I have been taking Magnesium L Threonate, as it has shown much promise at avoiding Alzheimer's. I would like to continue this one. Any reason I should not? It's hard to see how magnesium would hurt me.

3. I take a good probiotic, as I have a long history of IBS. Maybe the new diet will heal that; I'm not sure. Do you think it would be okay to continue with this?

Well, I have lots more questions, but I'll stop with these for now. Help will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Deborah
debknott

Re: Need clarification

Postby Willijan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:33 am

debknott wrote:Hi! I'm brand new, two days in, and have some questions:

1. I take a number of supplements. Is it okay to finish up the bottles I am using before going off them? I can give away the unopened bottles I guess.

2. My Mum has dementia (on hospice presently) so I have been taking Magnesium L Threonate, as it has shown much promise at avoiding Alzheimer's. I would like to continue this one. Any reason I should not? It's hard to see how magnesium would hurt me.

3. I take a good probiotic, as I have a long history of IBS. Maybe the new diet will heal that; I'm not sure. Do you think it would be okay to continue with this?

Well, I have lots more questions, but I'll stop with these for now. Help will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Deborah

Welcome! Dr. McDougall's program is a really good one for your health. Not only is the diet the best one for you, Dr. McDougall offers lots of supporting advice on this website and in his books. If you haven't read any of his books, I'd strongly recommend it, because if you understand the basis of the diet you are more likely to be compliant and successful.

For your specific questions above, see the links below where he discusses 1) Alzheimer's, 2) the use of dietary supplements, and IBS and other bowel diseases.

re: Alzheimer's, see these McDougall newsletters:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2004nl ... heimer.htm
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2017nl ... eimers.htm

and this McDougall commentary on Alzheimer's:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/2017/06/30/ ... poisoning/

re: supplements, see these McDougall articles:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... pplements/

re: IBS, here is a search result for that on this site:
https://www.google.com/search?ei=-mxPWv ... Qg2wdo5n8c

As far as my advice, I wouldn't take the supplements. I'd look at it as you can either save the supplements or save your health. The sooner you follow good dietary advice the more likely you are to prevent or reverse any health problems.

Alzheimer's and IBS are problems this program can help with. In the case of Alzheimer's I'm sure it is best to start early.

I really hope you continue to try the program, because I am sure it will help you. You can get great information on this way of eating from Dr. McDougall. Other sources of information include books by Caldwell Esselstyn, T. Colin Campbell, Dean Ornish and Neal Barnard. The more you know, the more confident you will be in what to do.
Willijan

Postby debknott » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:26 pm

Thank you for your kind response. I very much appreciate it. I certainly do plan to continue the program. I have finished just three days on it so far. I feel great, have no cravings, and have lost five pounds, yes, in just three days!! (I know weight loss will not continue at this pace, but I am pretty happy about it anyway. :nod: )

I have to go out very shortly, but I will carefully read the links you provided for me later today.

Again, thanks!

Deborah
debknott

Postby viv » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:05 pm

I take B12, Vit D and calcium tabs daily. I have tested low in B12 and D. It's especially important that your levels of B12 are at optimum levels as a deficiency can cause permanent nerve damage. Also a B12 deficiency is implicated in memory loss and dementia.

Great that you have joined us on your journey to your best health!

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby debknott » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:34 pm

willijan,

Thanks for the articles. I have read and am digesting them. There's much to think about.

Viv,

I will take B12 and D3, as I have tested low on both of these. I'll just take lots lower doses than I have been taking, or maybe I'll use what I have just once a week instead of daily until the pills I have are gone first.

Thanks to both of you! I have read a lot, but still have more things to figure out. I'll keep at it.
debknott

Postby viv » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:59 pm

I'm sorry that your Mum is in hospice, this must be a very trying time for you. Just try and take it easy, one day at a time eating starch with the addition of fruits and vegetables. This really is a very simple diet, choose a few meals you like and repeat. You can do it!
Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby debknott » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:02 am

Viv,

Thank you for the encouragement! :)
debknott

Return to How to Begin