Wondering and Frustrated

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Wondering and Frustrated

Postby veggies4me » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:15 am

Hi,

I just started the Maximum Weight Loss plan a week ago after reading "The Starch Solution". I have been eating ff vegan (a la Dr. Barnard) for the past 2 years and have eliminated my pre-diabetes and brought my weight from 203 to 165. I am eating under 1000 calories a day, but am eating when I am hungry. The scale has dropped only 1.2 pounds in a bit more than a week and I see Dr. McDougall said the average should be about 3.5! Why am I losing so little - eliminating soy products and breads has been difficult and I was hoping for better results. I have a bit of hbp, but slowly reducing my meds and no other underlying conditions (56 yo menopausal woman, jogs 1 mile a day).Can anyone shed some light on this? (So much info not sure where to turn to next).

Thanks for any help!!
veggies4me

Re: Wondering and Frustrated

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:09 am

veggies4me wrote:I just started the Maximum Weight Loss plan a week ago after reading "The Starch Solution".

You'll find a lot more info on the MWLP version of the plan in the actual McDougall Diet for Maximum Weight Loss book. It goes into a lot more detail of the hows and why's than the 2 pages in the Starch Solution book. Dr. McD sells it right here on his web site:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/shopping/books/maximum-weight-loss/

or you can get it any most any on-line book store, both new and used.

I have been eating ff vegan (a la Dr. Barnard) for the past 2 years and have eliminated my pre-diabetes and brought my weight from 203 to 165.

Congrats! That's a fantastic weight loss!

The scale has dropped only 1.2 pounds in a bit more than a week

Again, that's pretty good weight loss for someone nearing her goal.

and I see Dr. McDougall said the average should be about 3.5!

If you look closely at the articles where that's mentioned, he bases that number on people who have attended his live-in programs for the 5 day Maximum Weight Loss live-in program in Santa Rosa (He no longer holds the MWLP version, only the 10 day regular program ones). Remember, most of these people were at their heaviest weights, most likely ate a "Last Supper" the night before they arrived and had their first weigh-in, so were bulked up, and ate maybe the unhealthiest version of the SAD diet at home. Now, come into Santa Rosa and get put on a food plan that's not only very low calorie, compared to what was eaten at home, but also low fat, low salt. The first few pounds lost was water weight, and some people could have lost as much as 10 pounds to that alone! How much weight did those people lose in the 5 days of attendance?

Now, imagine a person who was already following a perfectly healthy WFPB, SOS-free food plan prior to attending this program. And compared to what's already being eaten at home, foods served at the MWLP program came out to more than 1000 calories per day, probably closer to 1800. Do you think *that* person lost much weight in the 5 days she stayed there?

So, between the people who ate crap at home and started eating healthy, who may have lost up to 10 or more pounds in the 5 days, and the people who ate an already healthy McDougall diet but very low in calories who then attended the 5 day program and ate the same foods as the unhealthy group and may have even gained weight while there, it all averaged out to a 3.5 pound loss for the 5 days.

Why am I losing so little

For a post-menopausal woman who already lost a lot of weight to lose a pound or more a week, I'd say you're losing pretty darn fast! There are a lot of women here who are happy if they lost even a quarter of a pound at that stage of their weight loss!

Can anyone shed some light on this? (So much info not sure where to turn to next).

Well, men lose a whole lot faster than women, so maybe a sex change operation?

Just kidding. One of the sayings that you'll see a lot around here is "time and perseverance". Don't be in such a rush. Know that you're eating the healthiest diet on the planet. Be happy for all the weight you already lost, for the medical issues you already reversed. A lot of women, especially post-menopausal ones, have a hard time losing weight. And the closer you get to your goal, the harder it's going to be. You'll see that a lot of the Star McDougaller women had to really tighten up their diet to lose the last 20-40 pounds, especially those who lost 100 or more. Dr. McDougall has a whole section in the MWLP book explaining why women, especially post-menopausal ones, have such a hard time losing weight. But so far, you're not having a hard time, you're just a bit impatient. Just relax - it'll happen.
VeggieSue

Postby veggies4me » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:27 am

Thank you so much! That makes me feel so much better, I will hang in there and also get that book!
veggies4me

Postby roundcoconut » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:55 am

I can’t contribute a ton here, but it strikes me that lots of people would love to be in your shoes! You are doing well, and making progress toward your goals. Did you not want to do well and make progress toward your goals?!?

Please forgive me for having a warped sense of humor when I say, “My heart does not go out to you!” :)

On a more serious note — would you want to share with us what some of your favorite foods are, on this way of eating? What are the meals you enjoy the most? Can you roughly estimate the quantities you are eating at a typical meal?

I am curious about some of your patterns. It is not that I think you are doing anything wrong — largely, I think you are doing things very right, and am just wanting to know a bit about you — what you’re eating, and when, and how you’re feeling.

My background is, I’m a small female (107 pounds on last weigh-in), and the mythologies behind how muh “experts” say I can eat, is not necessarily going to be correct. Believe me when I say that I have gained five pounds during times of poor choices, and then I lose that five pounds again when i am ready to get back on the straight and narrow. The rule of thumb is always — when you want your body to dip into stored body fat, then you have to give it the opportunity to do so. Meaning, I intentionally eat lighter and eat less when I want my body to burn stored body fat. For some bizarre reason, people find this horrifying!

As you get healthier, choose more vegetables and use that extra volume of food to displace something richer.

If you are now currently eating a drastically low-calorie diet, then NO, you do not need to eat less than 1000 calories for a 165-pound body. I don’t believe there is anyone who would say this is required or advisable. But your math may somehow be off — it is often quoted around here, that even professional dieticians can be off by 30% when calculating their intake.

Mostly, I think you are probably doing great.

Raw foods are great for satiety — eat them, if you are not already doing so. Fruits are filling and healthful — stick to two a day if you are trying to lose weight.

The principles of this way of eating are fairly straightforward, but the execution is not a snap. If you are having periodic indiscretions, then you are no different from so many others. :)
roundcoconut

Postby veggies4me » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:18 pm

Thanks for your response, I am hanging in there and am 2 days into my second week. Still miss the bread and pasta - suprisingly the soy has not been hard to give up, but it leaves me with less creative options for meals. Here is a recent day of food:

B: 1/2 c. steel cut oats
1/2 bannana
1/4 cup blueberries
cinnamon
black coffee

L: veg. soup (home made)
Sweet potato

D: Chick peas - 1 cup
eggplant
tomato sauce (Home made - no fat, no salt)

Snack: 3 cups hot air popcorn

Acutally I think cutting out the white flour has made my stomach feel better :) I have been eating when hungry, just thought the weight would come off quicker due to eliminating soy and bread and pasta (white flour).Down another .4 pounds in 3 days though :-D
veggies4me

Return to How to Begin