Following the Starch Solution after having WLS

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Following the Starch Solution after having WLS

Postby Apple1 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:44 pm

I have just finished reading the Starch Solution and I am hoping I can get some help with a few questions.

A little background on my story first. I had weight loss surgery (Vertical sleeve gastrectomy) on May 15th 2017. I had spent the past 12 years gaining weight and getting sicker every year. I was diagnosed with Hashimotos thyroid 4 years ago and type 2 diabetes 3 years ago. My endocrinologist was ready to start me on insulin if I could not get my A1C down below 7, and I was at the end of my options, so I thought.

I went on a low carb diet in August 2016, and managed to lose 25 lbs and got my A1C down to 6.2, but I was miserable eating that way and I feared I would not be able to sustain it long term. I decided to get the weight loss surgery as I had read that a high percentage of people cured their diabetes after having it. I wish I had watched Forks over Knives first, because I never would have had the surgery. I don't regret my decision though because my diabetes is in remission and I am very close to reaching a normal BMI.

After having my surgery I became worried about the high amount of protein that was on my diet plan 80-100g daily. The mantra was protein first. I read the book Proteinaholic and started watching documentaries. Those led me to the Starch Solution. I am convinced that this is the healthiest most sustainable diet for me moving forward. I started eating a WFPB diet about 4 weeks ago with a few exceptions, mainly a protein shake daily which has whey protein. I would like to take my current diet to the next level and eliminate oils and the small amount of dairy that I have still been consuming.

My questions pertain to the amount of food I am able to consume due to my stomach being so small now. Can a starch based diet work for someone that can only eat 4-6oz of food per meal? I have been using brown rice, lentils, kidney bean, black beans, potatoes, and whole wheat pasta as my starches. I usually eat about 3oz of starch and 1-2 oz of vegetables. I am eating 1-2 oz of nuts and or seeds everyday to get enough calories in because I am running 4-5 days a week for exercise.

I am getting very close to my goal weight of 155-160. I weigh 166.5 right now and I am 5'8". Do any of you have any experience with this WOE being a bariactric patient?

Any advice you could give me would be great.
Apple1

Re: Following the Starch Solution after having WLS

Postby Gamehen1 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:02 am

Had DS surgery in 2001, wish I had known about this WOE before that. Part of the DS procedure is a vertical sleeve gastrectomy. Found Dr. McDougall @ 2012. Do not worry about protein any more, eat lots of greens, beans, potatoes, etc. I get plenty of protein. Had the privilege of meeting Dr. Garth Davis (bariatric surgeon who wrote the book Proteinaholic) at an Advanced Study Weekend. He no longer recommends so much protein to his patients. Since your surgery is relatively recent you will have to eat more frequently in order to get in enough calories. Also you will need to take whatever vitamins and minerals reccomended by your surgeon and be sure to get your B12. Eat when you are hungry just eat plant based. My biggest challenge has been family and functions. The amazing way I feel when I eat WFPB keeps helping me get back on track when I stray. I am a work in progress.
Gamehen1

Postby Apple1 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:30 am

Gamehen1 wrote:Had DS surgery in 2001, wish I had known about this WOE before that. Part of the DS procedure is a vertical sleeve gastrectomy. Found Dr. McDougall @ 2012. Do not worry about protein any more, eat lots of greens, beans, potatoes, etc. I get plenty of protein. Had the privilege of meeting Dr. Garth Davis (bariatric surgeon who wrote the book Proteinaholic) at an Advanced Study Weekend. He no longer recommends so much protein to his patients. Since your surgery is relatively recent you will have to eat more frequently in order to get in enough calories. Also you will need to take whatever vitamins and minerals reccomended by your surgeon and be sure to get your B12. Eat when you are hungry just eat plant based. My biggest challenge has been family and functions. The amazing way I feel when I eat WFPB keeps helping me get back on track when I stray. I am a work in progress.

Thank you so much for your advice. There aren't many WLS patients eating this way and I wanted to make sure it would work for me.
I feel great since I started eating WFPB. I am not going to eat any more oils starting today. I will get all of my fats from the plants. I eat a big salad with fresh greens just about everyday for lunch. I add 1 oz of walnuts to give me a few more calories because I need the energy to fuel my exercise. I would love to attend one of Dr. McDougall's programs, but I live on the east coast so right now it would be cost prohibitive to fly that far for just a weekend.
How long have you been eating this way? Have you reached and maintained your goal weight?
Apple1

Postby Gamehen1 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:11 pm

Most folks do not understand why folks have weight loss surgery. After many years of being morbidly obese and then super morbidly obese and many huge loses and regains, I went into surgery with my eyes wide open, was ready to live or die just not live as I was. Got on a plane to Spain and had my surgery there (where I could afford it because it was all out of pocket). I am 5'10", my highest weight was 415. Stabilized at 275 after surgery, got down to 175 on a WFPB diet (the lowest I have ever been in my adult life). However, after a trauma and 5 day stay in the hospital (where they do not know what a plant based diet is), I went through a period of being pretty down and turned to old comfort foods. They did not comfort me, just made me angry that I was following old patterns. I put 20 pounds back on and now am in the process of taking it off. I do not care how long it takes, I am full of energy, my lab numbers are good, and I can eat when I am hungry. There are a couple books I reccomend by Lani Muelrath "The Plant-Based Journey" and "The Mindful Vegan" (just being published).
Live your life, enjoy the journey!
Gamehen1

Postby Apple1 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:09 pm

Gamehen1 wrote:Most folks do not understand why folks have weight loss surgery. After many years of being morbidly obese and then super morbidly obese and many huge loses and regains, I went into surgery with my eyes wide open, was ready to live or die just not live as I was. Got on a plane to Spain and had my surgery there (where I could afford it because it was all out of pocket). I am 5'10", my highest weight was 415. Stabilized at 275 after surgery, got down to 175 on a WFPB diet (the lowest I have ever been in my adult life). However, after a trauma and 5 day stay in the hospital (where they do not know what a plant based diet is), I went through a period of being pretty down and turned to old comfort foods. They did not comfort me, just made me angry that I was following old patterns. I put 20 pounds back on and now am in the process of taking it off. I do not care how long it takes, I am full of energy, my lab numbers are good, and I can eat when I am hungry. There are a couple books I reccomend by Lani Muelrath "The Plant-Based Journey" and "The Mindful Vegan" (just being published).
Live your life, enjoy the journey!

I did not tell very many people about my surgery because I wanted to avoid the judgement. Congrats on losing so much weight!! I understand your struggle. I felt so bad for so long and I hated myself. For the first time in years I feel really good and I have energy to spare.
I am sure this WOE makes maintaining your weight easier. I am very happy eating this way and my husband has joined me so my house only has approved foods in the pantry.
Thanks again for your advice.
Apple1

Postby myersf » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:23 pm

I had a wls 16 years ago. Eat the Protein first was the mantra.
I could not do this. Eating properly ended badly in the bathroom one way out or the other. And the answer has always been chew chew chew...

The story is sad but RAGE took over this past September. I did not come to DrMcDoughall directly. I first saw Penn Gillett’e ‘Presto! How I made 100 pounds disappear’, then ‘The Potato Hack’, ‘Spud Fit’. Then while trying to keep on track ‘The Starch Solution’ talk on YouTube. I am now a dedicated McDoughaller and am going to the January 2018 10-Day Program.

Does followings Starch based diet work for people who have had wls??? Well...

August 30th, 2017 I weighed 400 pounds

I started eating nothing but boiled potatoes on Sept 6th when RAGE took over. My next Dr Appointment was...14 Days later.

September 20th, 2017 I weighed 380 pounds
or a 20 pound loss in 14 DAYs

Before I started I could barely walk. Pain in my knees, ankles, and back made for short work days, handfuls of Tylenol, and not many stairs in my very sedentary life.

The first two weeks were hell. I don’t think I was eating enough and in fact I don’t feel I have been able to eat enough yet. Anyway, while totally hating life I noticed that I was going up and down stairs more. Thinking about it, I had not had any pain medication since the 4th day of eating nothing but potatoes.

I still have RAGE because I am suffering some medical issues. But my rage has turned to excitement. I feel so GOOD that I actually started going to a Tai Chi class 5 days a week. I need movement but low impact. I love it and can’t wait to go back.

I could go on but today
October 26th I have lost...

352 pounds or 48 pounds in 51 Days.

My problem is how to eat. I can’t eat veg first then starch so I tend to just eat potatoes or white rice, or beans and rice. Brown rice doesn’t work for me. Beans are awesome. Air fryers are wonderful.

Constipation gone, pain gone, feeling great. Exercising now which I hadn’t done in years, was a yard animal trying to clean everything up before it snows tonight and then went and worked out after 5 hours.

The Starch Solution is working as fast or faster than Optifast, Surgery, or anything else I have done as a professional dieter. I am not hungry. I can wait as much as 16 hours between meals and be ok. Very few cravings which are easily dealt with. I really don’t feel like I am dieting. I LOVE meat. But I have not eaten anything but starches, Vega, and fruits for almost 2 months. Even with the first two weeks being very challenging, I wouldn’t change a thing.

Fran Myers
Minnesota

Thank You Dr McDoughall for making my life better than it’s been in a long time.
myersf

Postby Nean » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:18 am

I had a sleeve Dec 2008. I got off the protein wagon really quickly because I was afraid in addition to the other impacts of the surgery, i would give myself kidney failure. I'm returning to WFSB from a long wander into SADness. But I did 3-4 years of starch based starting probably 2.5 years after surgery. (And was happy and healthy and slim but not down to a plant based healthy weight). For your first couple years you may have to modify your textures and temperatures a lot and ignore the intermittent fasting/ no snacking folks. I do best if I stay heavy on the tubers and feel safest there because Dr. McD says you can live on sweet or regular potatoes and water. There are still lots of foods that require my attention to chew or eat slowly (cabbage or broccoli al dente- I tend to get stuck. Raw fills me up fast so I limit those) Cooked vegetables, puréed or mushy soups, mashed potatoes etc are my preferred foods. I used to sometimes buy a freshly squeezed juice with some greens in, but they need diluting with water or else my tummy will try to dilute by adding fluid-> tummy ache!

Welcome to the world of living with your sleeve. Yes you can be starch based, happy and healthy. Just trust that you only need 5% protein, find what works for you, and stick to the basics.(now off to follow my own advice!)
"I am very much in control of how I feel as long as I control what I put in my mouth!" Blue
Nean

Postby talkingmountain » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:42 pm

I'm so happy to have discovered a few others who follow a plant-based diet after WLS!!!

Wouldn't it be cool if McDougall started a forum just for people like us? Because it is really, really hard to find information and support that is relevant to our unique gastrointestinal plumbing! If one posts to or comments at a WLS support forum/group, one gets roundly criticized or being a heretic (my mind conjures up a horde of grimy medieval soldiers stomping their pikes on the ground while they angrily chant "Protein, Protein!"). And if one posts here at McDougall, one runs the risk of being thought of as stupid/lazy/ignorant for having done the surgery.

My WLS program director "worries about" me because I am the "only person in the history of the program who's ever lost 100% of their excess weight" (program is 20+ yrs strong and considered among the best). Apparently they worry that I'm starving myself or something. I keep telling them no, I eat a TON of food (at least by WLS standards). And I keep trying to point out that the success isn't due to me, it's the food I eat (whole foods, no added oils, mostly vegan...plus low-sugar w/no artificial sweeteners to keep my Sweet Tooth at bay). Occasionally a bit of it gets through, I think. Who knows.

A bit of history: I'm 2 years out from a gastric bypass, still at "ideal" weight (personally I'd like to be about 10 lb less, but it was too restrictive). Not that I do so effortlessly; it takes just as much work to stay on track as before the surgery. It's just a lot easier to do that when you have the energy to do what's needed, isn't that true?!

So, I just wanted to say "hi" and hopefully start conversations with some of you so that I don't feel as much of an outsider! I'm betting every one of you feels like the Odd Duck at WLS meetings and your Nutritionist follow-ups, so it's nice to know we are not alone.
talkingmountain

Return to How to Begin