Hi, I'm new

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hi, I'm new

Postby rondy » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:27 pm

Hi there.

I really want to start eating the McDougall way and I have tried in the past only to stop because it was difficult with no support at home. I have a tight budget and would like to know of some simple recipe ideas that I could use that don't cost a lot or take up too much kitchen time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am really serious about trying to eat healthier and I know that with the support of all of you here on these boards, I can do it.
rondy

Postby Doris » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:53 pm

Welcome to the board! You have come to the right place for support and encouragement. There are a lot of posters here who are willing to share.

Also, since you are on a tight budget, I would suggest you start simple. Potatoes, brown rice, beans, inseason fruit, and salad fixings are inexpensive. I cook a pot of rice, a pot of beans, and make a large veggie salad every few days. Then I use these in various recipes. Of course, potatoes and onions are on my counter to be used in stews or soups that will be used over a few days. I also have canned tomatoes in my pantry. There are a lot of simple recipes on Dr. McDougall's main web page under "free program" , the new DVD, and of course the newsletter archives. Once you start looking, you will discover that there are so many recipes that you may have difficulty deciding which ones to try first. :)
Doris

Postby Kerrie » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:23 pm

Hi, rondy. I'm new, too. Welcome! It's funny, I was just thinking this afternoon about how I just need to eat like a poor person - rice, beans, potatoes, in-season fruits & veggies. Funny how that works! I look forward to reading other responses, though, for more ideas.

Kerrie

edited to add ... What am I saying, "Eat like a poor person."? I AM a poor poerson! :lol:
Kerrie

Postby chrisv » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:36 am

Hi Rondy, You can check out Roberta's corner 'Whats Cookin' for some ideas. People post their menus for the day, and a lot of them are quick, simple type things. You need to eat enough of what you are eating.

I like to cook baked potatos in the microwave and open a can of no fat vegetarian baked beans, halve the potatos, pour some baked beans on top and heat again. Also canned beans with some spices on corn tortillias are quick and good to eat.

It takes some experimenting and learning, but you wind up with many easy but tasty things you can make. Also your taste change as your eating habits change. You need to start with the type of starch you like to eat now: rice, beans, lentils, potatoes, sweet potatoes, tortillias, whole grain breads. Then keep looking for new ideas for a while.
The pounds you add two-by-two
You take off one-by-one
chrisv

Postby rondy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:46 am

Thanks for your replies. I really appreciate them and I'm so happy to have found a place that's so supportive.
rondy

Postby Jan Tz » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:17 pm

If you have a microwave and a fridge, you can do pretty well. Canned beans (drained and rinsed) and frozen or fresh veggies can be nuked. Salads, fruits, and breads don't need cooking at all.

Keep it simple, and don't worry about recipes. Your four basic food groups are beans, grains, fruits, and vegetables. Add your favorite condiments and enjoy!
Jan Tz

Postby happyalyssa » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:50 pm

Welcome Rondy!

I, also, try to stick to a fairly small budget. Buying dried beans & lentils and grains in bulk or large packages saves a lot of money. The dried beans take a bit more planning since you have to soak them overnight but if you're looking to reduce cost, it is a great way to go. Also, keep in mind silly little things like...when I shop bulk, I used to get a mixture of brown & wild rice (I really like the taste combination) but after a while I realized it was cheaper for me to buy brown rice & wild rice seperately, then just mix it together myself.

Over all, you should find you're spending less than the Standard American Diet since cheese and meat are so expensive. The occasional tofu or exotic fruit shouldn't even come close to the old grocery bill.

Also, you can find ways to incorporate your leftovers into new meals. I had some leftover quinoa today after lunch that I plan on adding to a veggie soup later this week. I save the trimmings from all the vegetables I use (peels, celery leaves, kale stems, etc) and make stock out of it.

I find that cooking this way does tend to require more time in the kitchen than the old way of eating. You can't just go there and pop a frozen mac & cheese in the oven, but with a little planning you'll find lots of shortcuts you can do. One of the best suggestions I read was to make large batches of food & then freeze & reheat at will.

In the meantime, things like whole wheat pita bread & veggies with a drizzle of fat free/dairy free dressing & a piece of fruit can be a good quick meal along with the other wonderful suggestions here.

Hope to see you around,
Alyssa
Start date: January 1, 2007
23 lbs lost...32 to go!
happyalyssa

Return to How to Begin