I'm new! Just saying hi!

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

I'm new! Just saying hi!

Postby chewymom » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:16 am

I'm totally new to all of this! I have been a vegetarian for about 1-1/2 years for both ethical/environmental reasons and health reasons. In spite of that, I have an obsession with cheese and haven't been able to make the switch to vegan. I finally have done it as of last weekend, and I am reading McDougall's MWL book. I kinda wish I had bought the "regular" version of the book. Although I need/want to lose weight, I don't think I want to be as restrictive, and I don't mind doing it more slowly--I have already been losing slowly (REALLY slowly) on a vegetarian diet.

Anyway, I'm a mom of five :eek: awesome kids, and I am currently going back to school! I live in Alabama, where it gets entirely too warm in the summers (although today looks to be perfect--sunny and 72)!

I'm glad to be here and look forward to learning from everyone! :)
chewymom

Postby slugmom » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:42 am

Welcome!! :)

Nice to have you join us! And good for you on your recent start to McDougalling.

Can you check your local library for the regular program book?

I'm also a mom of a big crew :)

Kim
- Kim

slugmom

Postby Carol » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:11 am

Chewymom,

Welcome to the family! I was going to say that I'm new too, but you know that saying "Time flies when you're unconscious" ? I started mid January, so I can no longer say that. This board is very supportive.

There's a book out there that might help you in kicking the dairy habit. Have you read The China Study ? It's very compelling.
Carol

Postby happyalyssa » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:45 pm

Welcome Chewymom!

If you're interested in the regular version, I believe the major differences are (along with the whole grains and veggies of course):

-unlimited amounts of fruits & beans
-whole grain breads and bread products (whole wheat pitas, crackers, etc.) are allowed
-low fat tofu and soy milk are allowed
-very small amounts of other high fat products on occasion (ie- nuts, avacado, tempeh, etc.)
-fruit juices are allowed, not just the whole fruits

Of course that's just what I've gathered through this discussion forum, I don't have the MWL book so others may know better :) For what it is worth, I have lost 15 lbs since January first doing the regular program so it does work, just slower :)

Alyssa
Last edited by happyalyssa on Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Start date: January 1, 2007
23 lbs lost...32 to go!
happyalyssa

Postby hope101 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:14 pm

Hi, chewymom, and welcome. I do the regular program too and am losing, although very slowly. I second the suggestion about "The China Study". It makes you look at whey and casein in a whole different way. :D
hope101

Postby chewymom » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:02 pm

Thanks for the welcomes! I actually have The China Study sitting within inches of me, but I haven't read it yet. I'm trying to get through Bono, Finally Feminist, and McDougall's MWL books. I've got some serious reading to do, because I really want to get to The China Study, The Food Revolution, (John Robbins) and Dreams from My Father (Barack Obama), which are ALL on my shelf, waiting for me to pick them up! :shock:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjn953b/]
[/url]
chewymom

Postby hope101 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:18 pm

Ooh, another reader. You will find good company here if that is the case. :D
hope101

Return to How to Begin