Hi - new here!

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hi - new here!

Postby bookworm_mom » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:42 am

:D

Hi - I'm planning on starting the regular McDougall plan on Tuesday (need to go grocery shopping, etc., or I'd start sooner). I'm a 34 year-old mom of 2, dd age 4 (in 3 weeks) & ds age 5.5. I'm currently stuck at 207 pounds at 5'7", so I am hoping, of course, to lose some of that weight! Mainly I want to be healthy and to have more energy. I was on the McD plan about 13 years ago & did well with it then, but fell off the wagon.

I am a little confused - are avocados allowed now? They were more of a treat item back then. What other changes are there? I've ordered a couple of books, but I'm anxious to start!

G
bookworm_mom

Postby Sunny » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:59 am

Welcome to the board, nice to have you here. It is great that you are familiar with this lifestyle and it worked well for you.
Avocado's are still limited, because they are a high fat food.
Was MWL program around when you McDougalled?? That is different from the 12-day program, no flour products such as bread and pasta,or high fat items such as avocado,nuts and seeds.
Keep us posted. :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Postby Doris » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:07 pm

Welcome!! I don't think much has changed with Dr. McDougall's plan with the exception of soy. Check the approved foods list on the main web site and you will notice that some soy products are missing. Soymilk, tofu, and soybeans are there, but the more processed soy products like TVP are not. Some of the more recent newsletters discuss soy.

I wish you success and keep posting on the board. The board is great place for support and encouragement. :)
Doris

Postby hope101 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:48 pm

Welcome, bookworm_mom. I like your username and can relate. :D The approved foods list is very helpful. In short, if it is a higher fat food like tofu, nuts and seeds or avocados then it is to be considered a treat rather than a staple food.

Are you bringing your kids and DH along on the journey?

Anyway, welcome and come often. This is a very supportive board with lots of experienced people who have great suggestions. If you want, come post your weight in the "Roberta's corner" forum. People who want public accountability post their weight once a week there.
hope101

Postby heffies » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:51 pm

Hi Bookworm_mom! I new too--in my 3rd week on McDougall. I started with MWL right away because I felt impatient, but what I hear is that you can lose lots of weight with the regular program, too. Anyway, our weights and ages are similar (I'm a 32 year old female, currently weighing 205.5 pounds). I've lost 11.5 pounds already! The program is really amazing.

Welcome, and good luck!

217/188/145
heffies

Postby slugmom » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:58 pm

Welcome, bookworm mom! :)

I try to keep avocados as a very rare treat, and make things with them that others in the family will help eat, because of the higher fat in them.

Same with occasional raw cashews in sauces and things, I see that those are showing up in more McDougall recipes, but I keep them limited because of their fat content.

Nice to have you join us!
- Kim

slugmom

Return to How to Begin