Starting expectations stopping Metformin & Glipizide

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Starting expectations stopping Metformin & Glipizide

Postby Cmaden » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:47 pm

Starting 10 day plan on 5/1/17

I have been on Low Carb / High Fat since January 9 losing 40 lbs but feel crappy from 2500 mg daily Metformin (2 am; 1 noon; 2 pm)AND glipizide (now 1/2 x 2 daily); nauseous most all day and night and absolutely no energy; totally exhausted - no wonder I lost weight - no appetite - the more I eat of a meal the more nausea and longer duration. They gave me a 50,000 unit Vitamin D3 for 4 weeks with only slight change; and I won't take more meds for the nausea.

Starting BG was 483 January 9 2017; and A1C of 12.5; now down to 90 day avg of 127 and getting ready for new blood draw to see what the A1C is down to.

Of course I am concerned with stopping the Metformin and high BG; but excited about really making the change.

What should I watch for with BG and when should I be concerned enough to go back on Metformin :(

I have been led to believe that BG above 140 my White Blood Cell count is affected and healing compromised - so I have been diligent about eating the low carb/high fat and NO sugar to get down below 120 so I have a margin to work with.

With the exception of 1 day every week - we eat whatever the heck we want to! and I plan to continue that - It makes this not like a big deal at all and it's just a week at a time then and works so well. I hope that will also be true on this plan. I also have 1 glass of Red Wine at night to help sleep - I wont take their sleeping pills.

Thank you for any comments as I anxiously await 5/1!!
[b][b]Connie Maden[/b][/b]
Cmaden

Re: Starting expectations stopping Metformin & Glipizide

Postby f1jim » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:54 pm

We do not offer advice on stopping your medications. That is between you and your medical professiona;.
We do encourage following this program and informing your doctor you are planning to make these significant changes to your diet.
Typically, this can involve reducing or even stopping medications because of the powerful effects of diet and lifestyle.
You will want to carefully monitor your blood sugar levels from very early in adopting this program. Any significant changes need to be reported to your medical professional. We believe this will make a large difference to your overall health and excellent long term prospects going forward. Do keep us posted on your progress.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Re: Starting expectations stopping Metformin & Glipizide

Postby Cmaden » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:26 am

Thanks!

I had done as you suggested and communicated the new Dr. McDougal eating plan and that I was stopping the Metformin and Glipizide and would continue to monitor my BG and keep her posted about my results.

I was really wondering what others may have experienced during the first few weeks of change in diet; if they may have seen a spike in BG and maybe a sense that there may be a leveling out at a reasonable time. I just don't know what to expect and don't want to be overly anxious at something that may be perfectly OK. I don't believe I would let the BG get extremely high before contacting my dr. I understand that every body and response can be much different.

I am as serious about the meal plan as I was with this one the last 4 months and plan to give it 4 months to see some success besides more weight loss - I really want to see the change without the meds - looking forward to no nausea and even some energy would be success!!!

Thanks again
[b][b]Connie Maden[/b][/b]
Cmaden

Return to How to Begin