Newbie - Need Help!

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Newbie - Need Help!

Postby Nstep2live » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:55 pm

I am female, age 58. I take no drugs, don't smoke or drink. I am 60lbs overweight. It had been 3 years since last seeing the doctor, so I finally went for a check up. My BP is running high and my cholesterol is 236.

I have totally adopted "The Starch Solution" and just been on it about a week. I am having tummy trouble. Bowels not moving hardly at all. Not moving what should I do? Start back on my probiotics and Omega 3 EFAs? My eye doctor says that my eyes tear ducts are bone dry and to take 4000 mg of Essential Fatty Acids. I know Dr. McDougall says no supplements, but any suggestions are appreciated.
Nstep2live

Re: Newbie - Need Help!

Postby Nstep2live » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:08 pm

I have viewed many of Dr. McDougall's videos and webinars. I drink mostly water and tea. Maybe, the banana, rice, oatmeal and mashed potatoes are just too much mush in two days. Maybe, I need some grains. I just received my ordered book, "The Starch Solution." Maybe, I can find the answer in it.
Nstep2live

Postby Nstep2live » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:18 pm

I have viewed many of Dr. McDougall's videos and webinars. I drink mostly water and tea. Maybe, the banana, rice, oatmeal and mashed potatoes are just too much mush in two days. Maybe, I need some grains. I just received my ordered book, "The Starch Solution." Maybe, I can find the answer in it.
Nstep2live

Postby Nstep2live » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:46 am

Thanks for the reply. I may have located the culprit for my bloating and hurting tummy. My husband and I are on vacation. I have stayed strictly on Dr.M whole foods eating plan. I generally stay away from breads and pasta (even before the diet), because I don't digest them well, unless I take digestive enzymes. We went to the "Dixie Stampede" show. It was relatively dark when they served the food. I thought I was doing good. I ate the corn, baked potatoe and biscuits. No meat and no dessert. Drank only water. That is where my stomach started feeling uncomfortable and started hurting. I guess the biscuits had yeast or something that caused my troubles. I am feeling some better today. I baked several potatoes before leaving home and brought cooked brown rice with me as well. These will be my staple foods along with fresh or frozen vegetables.
Nstep2live

Postby MINNIE » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:01 am

Hi, Nstep2live. Welcome.

FirsT the bad news. Conventional southern-style Biscuits contain fat - lots of it. I wouldn't eat them unless you make them yourself (and make them fat-free) or can see an ingredients list.

Generally, they really aren't suitable for the McDougall plan. You can find some non- fat versions online, if you would like to try making them. Also, I think there is recipe in one of the McDougall cookbooks that looked pretty easy.

Then the good news. Regarding bowel problems when beginning this diet; it is not unusual at all but it will go away. It takes most people a little while to adjust to a high-fiber way of eating, so having problems during the first few weeks is normal. in fact, it is probably the number one problem mentioned in the newbie discussions :).

Given a few weeks, your intestinal bacteria will adjust and you will start to feel better.
MINNIE

Postby Nstep2live » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:04 am

Minnie, thanks for the reply. I can do without the bread. I made a delicious soup, totally fat free. My husband loved it and at first he was not on board with me eating this way. Now he has informed me that he support me in this change in my eating plan and he says he is going to ease into the change. I totally jumped into this, no meat, no dairy, no eggs and reading labels on everything. It is amazing how much oil is in the SAD diet. I am glad to know that my digestive issues are normal for newbies on this diet. One huge thing I have noticed, I am fuller quicker and satisfied for several hours. No desire to munch. Today, the bowels are moving better, bloating has diminished and the pain is gone.I am looking forward to getting the excess weight off. I know it will take several weeks or months to lose. Have a Merry Christmas. :-)
Nstep2live

Return to How to Begin