Found my "before" picture today

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Found my "before" picture today

Postby Nettie » Fri May 09, 2008 3:55 pm

Folks, I was looking around the hard drive today, trying to find my daughter's wedding pictures, when I ran across a picture of me that was taken in August 2006. I remember the day it was taken, because I was psyching myself up at that time to start McDougall, and I asked a co-worker to take my picture. I told her it was my "before" picture. I weighed 282 pounds.

This morning I weighed 140.

The effect this has had on me is profound. What a sad, sick-looking thing I was, trying to smile a little. My face was so swollen, my eyes were little black spots. My arms were....well....out to the sides of my body - way out because I was so big.

I called my husband, "Honey, come here, I want to show you something." He's so good. When he saw it, he just said, "My baby," and patted me on the shoulder. I have the kind of husband who doesn't care what I look like; he only wants me to be healthy. He's never said a word about my weight. He just loves me no matter what. And this acceptance has given me the freedom to do as I please - a two-edged sword to be sure.

I'm at work right now and I'll be speaking to 200 people in less than an hour (something that made me sick with fear before), so I have to pull myself together and dry up those internal tears for the out-of-control, bingeing, sad woman that is no more.

Folks, do it for yourself, do it for those who love you, or even to spite those who hate you - but just do it. Life is waiting to be lived.

And it's so worth it. No food should ever control our lives to the point of experiencing even one second of unhappiness.

Nettie
Nettie

Postby luvoatmeal » Sat May 10, 2008 7:01 am

Nettie,

You are truly inspiring! What a wonderful testimony! You are a STAR in my book!!
luvoatmeal

Postby Faith in DC » Mon May 12, 2008 2:16 pm

That had to be a shock. It's a good thing you had the picture taken. It certainly can very clearly show how far you've came. I know I tend to not feel like I'm making much progress until I see a picture.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby wordweaver » Mon May 12, 2008 10:51 pm

God bless your loving husband for his unconditional love! What an inspiration you must have been to that group of 200 people, as well as everyone that knows you. Thanks for your post ... truly uplifting.
The difference between try and triumph is the UMPH.
wordweaver

Postby Polona » Tue May 13, 2008 4:27 am

Nettie,
what a nice post, what a nice husband!
You gave me goose bumps reading your words. It really makes you think about food, life, you and your loved ones....
Polona
Loli
Polona

Postby marybeth0051 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:52 pm

That is terrific!!! You have just added 10-20 healthy years on to your life!!
"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food" Hippocrates
marybeth0051

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories