I broke the 200 pound barrier!

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

I broke the 200 pound barrier!

Postby Bougainvillea » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:22 am

I'm so psyched, I just had to share with you all that this morning the scale said 199! I haven't been under 200 pounds in years.

I started transitioning to plant-based diet beginning of August, and finally let go of the olive oil just a few days ago and that made a huge difference in how much faster I'm losing weight. I thought it would be at least a few more days before I got down below 200 lbs.

I later learned about Dr. McDougall and the starch-based diet and loved the idea but was skeptical about being able to actually eat and be full and still lose weight, but it's working!

And I eat! LOL! My standard fare is corn tortillas, just heated in a skillet without oil, and I put a mixture of beans, lentils, rice and veggies (I make up a big batch and freeze portions) with chopped fresh tomatoes. And I eat 3 or 4 of them for breakfast and dinner. With soup for lunch made out of legumes and veggies, usually. I have a couple pieces of fruit for snacks - yesterday a couple small pears and a tiny plum.

I stopped eating cereal before bed with almond milk, once I understood it's also fat. Now I just drink a swallow of the almond milk and it satisfies my midnight snack craving.

I had been having my beloved pesto pasta a couple times a week still (couldn't let that nice homemade batch of fresh basil pesto go to waste, could I? LOL), but no more oil for me.

I'm okay with this. I love tacos and beans and rice and veggies and soup, and I can afford them. Eventually, I hope to learn some more interesting recipes, but I'm a terrible cook and it is kind of overwhelming when I look at learning how to cook in such a different way.

For now, though, this is working and I'm satisfied. I'm so happy! See you all at the webinar today. I'm just going to watch and enjoy "being there" live.

Thank you so much Dr. McDougall for having a free place for us to learn and share - those of us who are low income really appreciate it.

Karen
Off meds/animal products 8/13/17, oil-free since 8/29/17
BP WAY down right away. In 3 months: Cholesterol down 26pts, Triglycerides down 27pts. Next 3 mos way back up ???
61 yrs, 5'5" tall
Starting weight 8/13/17 : 204 lbs As of 2/14/18: 186 lbs
Bougainvillea

Re: I broke the 200 pound barrier!

Postby Sydney » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:15 pm

BIG Congrats, Karen! You broke the pound barrier! ;-)
Sydney

Postby Vegankit » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:25 pm

Sydney wrote:BIG Congrats, Karen! You broke the pound barrier! ;-)
haha, the 200 pound barrier. Congrats.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby viv » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:29 pm

Congratulations that's a major accomplishment! I love your taco idea, I will try them myself.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby rjsupersonic » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:49 pm

Excellent !! It's amazing how easy it really is once you know what to eat...congratulations :) !!
rjsupersonic

Postby Bougainvillea » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:54 pm

Down to 197, and learning every day how to prepare food I like. Blood pressure is already way down. Just had blood drawn, and can't wait to see those results. This is working and I get to eat! Without trying to go into ketosis :shock:
Off meds/animal products 8/13/17, oil-free since 8/29/17
BP WAY down right away. In 3 months: Cholesterol down 26pts, Triglycerides down 27pts. Next 3 mos way back up ???
61 yrs, 5'5" tall
Starting weight 8/13/17 : 204 lbs As of 2/14/18: 186 lbs
Bougainvillea

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories