New Vegan

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

New Vegan

Postby americaninca46 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:32 pm

Hi, My name is Rebia. This is all very new to me, but am greatly encouraged to keep on. In 6 months I have gone from a high fat animal based diet to being totally animal free. I began by juicing and then plant based meals. The last thing I gave up were butter and milk and that was today. I am committed to being healthy. I turned 70 in Sept. I was diagnosed wth breast cancer almost 6 years ago. Thankfully it was stage one and required a lumpectomy and a few lymph nodes removed. I opted not to do radiation or chemo. I thought that I was eating healthy with whole milk, butter and red meat. I have arthritis in my knees and neck. I am happy to report that my pain is so much better and not only have I lost 37 lbs., but have gone off my blood pressure meds and all pain meds including celebrex. I really feel that my Dr. has mislead me, but won't dwell on that. I know that with my new eating plan, that I will only get healthier as time goes by. I want to thank Dr. McDougall for his wonderful books and great teachings about health in it's truest form. I look forward to meeting other like-minded eaters as I know none at the present time. Thank you.
americaninca46

Re: New Vegan

Postby pundit999 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:27 pm

It is great to hear your story.
I have no doubt that things will keep getting better as you stay the course.
Thanks for sharing.
pundit999

Postby Kaye » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:48 am

Welcome Rebia, well done for the changes you have made and what a motivation the benefits are to keep on going. I'm sure you will find even more relief from your arthritis now you have given up butter and milk. It made a terrific difference to my knee pain and swelling.
Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate, Completed February 2017, T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell
Kaye

Postby anne57 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:00 pm

Last edited by anne57 on Mon May 06, 2019 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anne57

Postby petmomful » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:52 pm

Rebia, that is a great story. I have troublesome neck pain after 2 fusions. I have been "McDougalling" about 11 weeks, and my neck pain, which I believe is arthritis, :D is greatly reduced. So I hear ya! Congrats on your success, and I, too, feel you will only get better and better. You will amaze your doctor! Le's keep on keepin' on.
petmomful

Postby Willijan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:15 pm

Rebia,

Thank you for your story. It is inspiring. I am particularly excited to hear about your reduced pain. I am hoping the same will happen to me.

Congratulations on your success.

I know how you feel when you say your doctor misled you. Pretty much they all do, it seems. But not our group of doctors! McDougall and Esselstyn and a very few others.
Willijan

Postby Demrie63 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:46 pm

I went vegan cold turkey on April 15 after watching FORKS OVER KNIVES. My niece had recommended i watch it because my 12-year-old son had just been diagnosed with fatty liver disease and I was overwhelmed. I had terrible eating habits and they had passed on to my son. I didn't want him to suffer the consequences his whole life.

At the time that I went vegan I was on seven different medications. In less than a month, I'm off all but one at this point. I sleep better. I feel better. I've lost 22 pounds, and I eat PLENTY! It's been harder to get my son to switch over, but little by little I've been finding things he will eat and he's lost 3 pounds.

This is a new lifestyle for me, not a diet. I am so thankful that amazing men like Dr. McDoungall and Dr. Esselstyn and Dr. Campbell and so many others have stepped out and stepped up to talk about what the American Diet is doing to us and to our kids.

Demrie
Demrie63

Postby americaninca46 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:38 am

Hi Demrie, What a great start you have made. You will be a great example for your son. It is sad to see how unhealthy our young ones are. Does your niece follow your diet plan also? You will enjoy this discussion group. They are great people with lots of experience and info to share. The book that has helped me the most is "the Plant Based Journey" by Lani Muelrath. I do not cook much and so my diet is simple and repetitious. But I am faithful to it and it works great. Dr. Doug Lisle has great insight into dealing with sceptics. I am still struggling with friends who think I am on the wrong track. Please keep in touch so we can cheer you on.
Welcome, Rebia
americaninca46

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories