What a difference 8 months make ... long post

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: What a difference 8 months make ... long post

Postby roundcoconut » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:21 pm

Some brief comments to the original poster:

First, holy crap on smashing personal records! You're obviously a talented runner, and all the potential has gotten unleashed on a starch-based diet, and at a lower scale weight. I'm sure every runner you know, would LUUUUUUV to have these super-successful outcomes that you've had. This is pure positive!

Second, you have a really lean body, and I can see this being really positive for you, in terms of running, and health and energy levels. I think clothes look beautiful on long, lean limbs -- it's a really pretty body type to have! Whether or not you care about how clothes look on you, I will nevertheless say that I think it's awesome that you can wear short little spandex running shorts and look so good in them. Your running muscles are very visible. You LOOK like an elite runner, and even if some (mainstream) people do not like that look, I DO like it, and you probably also do. How could you not enjoy having the long, lean lines that other elite athletes in your sport have?!?!?

Third, you sound smart and confident, and if anyone tries to shake your confidence, please tune out the fear-based ding-dongs. They are just so scared that your energy levels aren't high enough, meanwhile you can outrun them by HOURS. So it makes no sense to listen to people who are just so afraid! (Which you already know.)

I actually HAVE seen an athlete who went too low in body weight (she was just trying too hard to get her performance to the next level) and of course, her energy levels went down, her training suffered and I imagine she was probably cold and hungry much of the time. I did not know this woman personally, but she was a local distance runner who aspired to being more successful at regional road races and even national road races. But if you notice your weight sliding too low, and your energy levels, training, body temps and hunger levels going in the wrong direction, I'm sure you are smart enough to take notice, and eat more!

Peace! So proud of you!
roundcoconut

Postby Amoux » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:53 am

Thanks so much, roundcoconut, for your lovely post - that really made my day, and I appreciate your taking the time to write it. And yes - I love this body shape - it's the one I always wanted but (until McDougalling) never dreamt it was already mine - just buried under the fat cells :-D
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our chance to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom."

Viktor E Frankl
Amoux

Re: Friends have started McDougalling!

Postby Amoux » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:15 am

So I have two friends who have been inspired by my success to start this way of eating for themselves - one in particular was highly sceptical, however, that eating starch could possibly help her lose weight. Anyway, I've been gently coaching them through it and they've been reading up on this site as much as they can. This is week 1 for both of them, and they've only done 6 days (one in particular has been asked by her doctor to lose weight as she's showing signs of impending Type 2 Diabetes - so she's pretty motivated). Neither could resist getting on the scales (though I asked them not to - but there you go) - one has lost 7 pounds, the other 4 pounds. Both are delighted - and no longer sceptical :) It just proves that you don't have to suspend disbelief - you just have to do it. And a third friend is now inspired to start it as well :-D Here's to spreading the word ...
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our chance to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom."

Viktor E Frankl
Amoux

Re: Friends have started McDougalling!

Postby hope101 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:43 pm

amoux wrote:So I have two friends who have been inspired by my success to start this way of eating for themselves - one in particular was highly sceptical, however, that eating starch could possibly help her lose weight. Anyway, I've been gently coaching them through it and they've been reading up on this site as much as they can. This is week 1 for both of them, and they've only done 6 days (one in particular has been asked by her doctor to lose weight as she's showing signs of impending Type 2 Diabetes - so she's pretty motivated). Neither could resist getting on the scales (though I asked them not to - but there you go) - one has lost 7 pounds, the other 4 pounds. Both are delighted - and no longer sceptical :) It just proves that you don't have to suspend disbelief - you just have to do it. And a third friend is now inspired to start it as well :-D Here's to spreading the word ...

How lovely. Welcome to your friends! Thank you for being such an inspiring role model.
hope101

Postby KostasP » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:31 am

Bravo, stories like yours put a smile on my face.

Your second photo displays a natural human body by the way. There are always people who project their insecurity about their own body onto lean bodies but objectively (look at hunter-gatherers for example) this is the natural human body. This is attractive, this is admirable.

As I am interested in the subject, can you write what you ate during the first period when you lost 21 lbs in 10 weeks and how much you lost in how much time during the second period (juice fasting)? It seems like you didn't follow the MWL 100% during the first period, otherwise the weight loss disparity between the 2 periods would be insignificant. You are eating what you are eating for a long time I guess (you have listed your typical meals), so you would reach your weight eating these things. I want to see how much juice fasting accelerates weight loss.
KostasP

Postby Amoux » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:14 am

KostasP wrote:... can you write what you ate during the first period when you lost 21 lbs in 10 weeks and how much you lost in how much time during the second period (juice fasting)? It seems like you didn't follow the MWL 100% during the first period, otherwise the weight loss disparity between the 2 periods would be insignificant. You are eating what you are eating for a long time I guess (you have listed your typical meals), so you would reach your weight eating these things. I want to see how much juice fasting accelerates weight loss.

Hi Kostas - I was in fact following MWP as closely as I could - and another one of the reasons I moved to juicing was to get the weight off faster, as I just couldn't face starting another new year carrying excess weight :) No oil, no processed food, plenty of exercise - it was inexplicable to me that it had taken 10 weeks to drop 21 pounds, but that was the case. I then switched to juicing on 23rd November, having juices and only juices 3 or 4 days a week, and eating MWP-compliant meals the rest of the time (similar to the way I'd been eating during the initial 10 weeks) - and dropped an additional 45 pounds in by January 25. The last two weeks - January 11 - 25 - was 14 days juicing only (I was taking part in an annual event I like to do). In fact, I went a couple of pounds lighter the second week, but started adding back solid food (Starch Solution compliant) when my BMI dropped below 18.5. The total period in which juicing was used was 9 weeks - an average of 5 pounds a week. I knew the weight loss would be high because I've done so much juicing in the past few years, know how my body responds, and often recommend it to clients who want/need to drop a few pounds fast. Eating the McDougall way, however, is the ONLY way I know that doesn't immediately result in weight gain when you transition back to solid foods. I should mention that the juices were fruit AND heavy on veggies, made in a masticating juicer (a slow juicer), and contained a certain amount of soluble fibre. The recipes I used formed a well-considered 14 day programme designed by Jason Vale (you may have seen his documentary film about the health benefits of juicing, 'Superjuice Me'). I also found that, as before and as I had hoped, the juicing wiped clean my taste buds, so to speak - and on restarting solid food, I was enjoying it like never before.

Hope some of this helps! I should make it clear to any others reading that juicing does NOT form part of the recommended programme of either the Starch Solution or the MWP. It was a personal decision on my part to combine the two and see what happened.

Viktor E Frankl
Amoux

Previous

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories