Celebrating my lower cholesterol

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Celebrating my lower cholesterol

Postby becky01007 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:20 pm

In February 2015 my total cholesterol was 429 - LDL 318, HDL 93, Triglycerides 93. At the end of May I began a vegetarian diet. I struggled with giving up butter and cream in my coffee. A couple months ago I bit the bullet and went totally vegan. Exactly 6 months after changing my diet, now November 2015, my current total cholesterol is 202 - LDL 122, HDL 68, Triglycerides 60. While there is certainly room for improvement, I am ecstatic about these numbers.
I also lost 17 pounds and feel terrific. I am nearly 65 years old, and take no medications other than the recommended B12. I had to fight my doctor who wanted to put me on statins, and find my own solution, but I am so glad I did. The Starch Solution is my bible, and I am so happy to have found Dr. McDougall via Forks Over Knives, which opened my eyes. I always said I could never give up meat, but was I wrong! You can do anything if you want to be healthy. It is a revelation and I couldn't be happier.
I'm also an animal advocate, and now I no longer feel like a hypocrite!
Thank you, Dr. McDougall from the bottom of my heart!
becky01007

Re: Celebrating my lower cholesterol

Postby Crider » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:48 pm

Wow, you more than cut it in half! Tremendous and I bet it will fall even more.
Crider

Postby becky01007 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:33 am

Yes, thank you, Crider. Even though I was hopeful, I am quite astounded with the dramatic change in such a short time. I want to shout it from the rooftops.
becky01007

Postby veggielou » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:14 am

Congratulations. It will just keep getting better and better. I am older than you are and can say I keep watching friend my age and younger passing away. Knowing there is a better way it hurts. I have a hard time figuring out why they can't see the way with all the information out there. Recently I had a lady tell a friend that Lucille sure ate weirded. That was when we were out for lunch. While she ordered hamburger and fries and talked about all her medicines. This way of eating is so easy not much meal planning. Just a starch and veggies and you've got it made.
veggielou

Postby becky01007 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:10 am

Thanks, Veggielou. If our friends' and families' eyes were opened, they would have to change. They don't want to change, so they keep their eyes and ears shut. It is sad to watch.
becky01007

Postby DWu » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:17 pm

Glad to hear it worked for you becky01007!

Even though people who visit these boards know the power of sticking to this over time, it’s still wonderful to hear of others who’ve made the change successfully.

Congrats.
DWu

Postby becky01007 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:11 pm

Thank you, DWu! It's very exciting! Like I've been reborn.
becky01007

Postby Nstep2live » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:16 pm

Great results in such a short time. You are doing fantastic. I just started the diet a little over a week ago. I seldom go to the doctor, because thankfully I am hardly ever sick, It had been almost 3 years since I had been to the doctor. I am 58 and take no meds, but my husband felt I should get a check up. I went to the doctor and he done some blood work. My blood pressure was high. My cholesterol was 236. He wanted to place me on drugs and I refused and I told him, "I know what to do! Exercise more and eat healthier! It made the doctor angry at me because he wasn't gonna make any money on me. I have never been a big meat eater and I can't eat dairy products because they give me sinus headaches. I believe that fast food and junk food has caused my high numbers. I am a 58 year old female with 4 grown chikdren and 14 grandbabies, My mother died at age 41 with heart surgery. She had plaque build up. I have got to get control of my BP and cholesterol. I hope that I can do as well as you and my numbers come down to normal. Thanks for posting your results. Encouraging!
Nstep2live

Postby Nstep2live » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:45 am

I wanted to add that I appreciate the doctors and the knowledge that God has given them. I don't like the fact that I have lost several close family members due to medical errors by doctors or nurses. I have a sister in law with MS. She is now in a wheelchair and her neck has to be supported. She has been on MS drugs for over 10 years and has only gotten worse. My father died in a hospital because the nurse overdosed him. The same nurse killed several others at that same hospital. I have good friends and family that are excellent nurses. I said all of that to say this.........I do not want to place my life in someone elses hands by going on meds and starting down that path. We make decisions and choices. I was praying for direction from God as to what to do to about my health challenges as well as help others that will allow the help. I truly believe I have found the answer with the knowledge that Dr. McDougall has so graciously shared. I have totally committed to this lifestyle and realize it is the food. I have been listening to my body for years. I noticed how my body would react to different foods, such as, about 3 weeks ago I had a busy week and 3 different days I ate 2 party burritos for lunch. By Monday morning my right knee began to hurt very bad and I don't have joint pain. I had trouble taking the stairs at work. I knew immediately it was something I ate. What did I do out of routine? ......I researched the burritos and found they are very high in sodium and fat. I began drinking even more water to flush the sodium out of my joints. My knee is much, much better. Getting off this extra 60 lbs will make a huge positive difference for me. I am so so so thankful to find this website and thanks to all who share their knowledge and success stories. Soon I too will have a success story to share. I am on my way.
Nstep2live

Postby becky01007 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:19 pm

Hi, Nstep2live,
You can do it, and it happens really fast so there is instant gratification, unlike regular "dieting." I did not have a weight problem per se, but obviously had 17 pounds of fat I didn't need!
Best of luck. Once you figure out what to eat, it's easy. Your taste buds adjust, and your body will thank you!
becky01007

Postby viv » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:29 pm

Hi Becky, many congratulations on your wonderful success. Yes indeed this is a miracle diet and I and many others only wish we had eaten this way years ago. Now you can look forward to a healthy, happy rest-of-your-life!

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby kalini » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:54 pm

Great job.. and very inspirational! :)
kalini

Postby becky01007 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:30 pm

Thank you, Viv and Kalini. Once in this happy place, you wonder why you didn't do it sooner. I also know I could never go back to eating the old way. It's wonderful to have this supportive group, as well.
becky01007

Postby DangerousKiwi » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:19 am

Congrats on the success! That is awesome!
DangerousKiwi

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories